Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #21
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Well if you are seeking change, want a little different product, and don't mind spending a little more, this product line might be for you.

USRobitics MAXg Router

Along with this;
USRobitics USB

Or this;
USRobitics PCI

Or for the Lap top;
USRobotics PC Card

This brand is all I have ever used, from the 33.6 days of middle speed dial up, through today. Unless there is different technology out next Spring when it's time to upgrade, this is what I'm going with to replace my current USRobotics setup with.

--------------------

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #22
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Thank God you didn't ask for recommendations prior to buying this as it's the exact one I would have recommended! Not sure exactly what's up but I run 3 wired computers, 2 wireless, and my laptop off it. I've actually never had any dropouts with it period! I've actually taken my laptop to the front of the house which is a fair way away from my room and say about 3 walls pass through it and still get 100% connection.

I know this may sound stupid but I've heard that if you take a CD, turn it upside down and place it in the antena's it will actually boost the signal. Don't take my word for it (and yes I do know that it sounds stupid beyond measure) but it may be worth giving it a shot if you're really that stuck!
Bokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #23
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

That CD trick sounds no more foolish than the Pringles can antenna, which can boost the range to multiple miles (from just 75-150 feet). And it works...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #24
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

The "pringles" can has the channeling effect, and will condense the signal considerably, then allows it to go forth as a centered 'canned' beam.
The CD trick would be something to learn about, as the polycarbonate would 'seem' to produce a 'scattering' effect. Maybe, just maybe that is what it does, and creates a stronger shorter more scattered beam entirely. Thus allowing more signal in and around the area, as opposed to just a weak scattered beam. Interesting concept at the least.

--------------------

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:15 PM   #25
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I must've gotten a lemon as this thing is absolute kak. In FACT, the reason why my connection has SIGNIFICANTLY improved with NO dropouts, no ridiculous slowing down from 54Mbps to 1Mbps and no constant disconnecting of my VPN network is because I've decided to bypass the bloody WiFi altogether and use an ethernet cable. I figure that I really only need wireless when I'm not at home, so I couldn't be bothered spending more money to get another router.

As I type, I'm happily connected at 100Mbps via ethernet while my wireless is showing a signal strength of "excellent" and a connection speed of 1Mbps.

EDIT: In fact, as I check it now, it's gone from 1Mbps to 54Mbps, back down to 40Mbps, down to 4Mbps, then back up to 10Mbps, then back to 1Mbps all in the space of 2mins. Absolute rubbish. Thank God I'm connected via ethernet otherwise I'd have smashed it to bits by now. It's pathetic! [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

To answer the questions above, I've reset this piece of junk a million times and it doesn't do anything different. I have WEP enabled and as far as I know nobody else is logged on - though I can't bloody tell with the Linksys admin screens as they are bloody hopeless and have no help function whatsoever. At least my D-Link DI-714P+ showed which machines were logged on to the network, this Linksys piece of crap doesn't bloody show anything - it's got a million functions but none that are actually useful. Plus, whenever you changed a setting on it the wireless used to drop out. What's with that??

Oh well, I overcame it's poxness with a $5 ethernet cable, stupid thing. [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]

[ 10-02-2005, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:48 PM   #26
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

On my Linksys BEFW11S4 (four-port 802.11B wireless router), there's an active MAC listing on the Wireless Page in the Advanced set of tabs. That lets you know who's connected in, although it seems to be historical -- right now, it shows two MAC addresses, and both my wireless-enabled machines are off. If you're using DHCP, you can also go to the DHCP tab on the main page and see who's connected in that way. That gives you computer names and everything... makes it easy to see if you know who's there.

It does sound like something's crappy, Memnoch. I'd still try your machine on another WLAN and another machine on yours to try to identify the problem. If your machine is working fine on other WLANs (and it sounds like it is), then I'd dig up the box it came in (along with the receipt), take it back, and ask for an exchange. Demonstrate it right there for 'em if you have to...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #27
Zink Whistlefly

Not tried the WRT54G, but I had a WAG54G for around 6 months and was equally frustrated as you are! I got constant drop outs too and connections falling to 1 Mbps. The problem for me appeared to be heat, and I partially solved it by adding a small 80mm fan to the top of the router powered by around 7.5V. It certainly stopped the drop outs, but the router was still far from perfect.

In the end I had just had enough, and decided it was just pure crap. I got the one Ross suggested - the Netgear D834GT and its been MUCH better (although on exceptionally hot days, it does still drop). It's been up for around a month at the moment with no drop outs and a solid 54Mbps connection. Much happier with this one.

Good luck!
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote