Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default What books to chew down on now?

Hi guys ( and guuuuurls ).

In advance - I apologize for the length, I know I've posted about books before - but I'll do it again as they are my heartblood.

I was wondering if, on this RPG-stylish...and oldest forum I know...someone has read any books worth endorsing to me now that I've run out of good stuff to read!

I will endorse some stuff myself right here...just so you don't give me the same stuff to read that I already did read.

R.A.Salvatore:
I've read everything....considering that he writes in the FR universe I'd be surprised if you haven't either. I mean Drizz't and friends are EPIC!
Drizz't Do'Urden series.
Demonwars Series.
Crimson Cape.
Trudi Caravan:
Australien author as far as I know, writes in a very dark way...but mesmerizing to read as you keep on wanting more.
Robin Hobb:
I've read Assasins series - unfortunately one of the few I didn't like that much!
Brent Weeks:
Night Angel trilogy is a MUST for fantasy readers - one of the best out there Also the new Prism books give an interesting look at magic in another way.
David Eddings:
The Grand ol man of adventure ( apart from that Tolkien dude and his insane books ).
Belgariad, Malloeran, Polgara and Belgarath are epic while Elenium and Tamuli are slightly less so...but certanly worth a read. The Dreamers series are crappy in comparison and the stand alone "The Redemption of Althalus" is really really good, but you never get into the characters like in the other books.
Patrick Rothfuss:
The new dude on the scene, his Kingkiller Chronicles are some of the best work I've seen and he spans music, alchemy and sorcery with legends and politics in such a legendary way that I was flabbergasted on my first read-through - still missing the last book.
Naomi Novik:
Writes a series called Termelaine about the Napoleon wars in Europe - added benefit of aerial corpses flying huge dragons - enter the mesmerizing blending of history with fantasy - it's really good.
George R.R. Marting:
Well...I *Zzzzzzz* I like the tv-show better than the books....hold on....did I write that - Holy mother of all reading books - how did that happen?
Joseph Delaney:
I've read the Spook Series ( just made into the worst movie I've seen in this millenium, I was actually tempted to ask for a refund as my brainscells died by the score while watching the movie. The books are a LOT better, but they suffer from being a bit short in comparison to the rest of the available market.
Phillip Pullman:
*siiigh* yet another book made into a movie....I will elaborate on this in the bottom of this post. The Golden Compas is an excellent series of books that I am subtly saving for the truly dismal days ( i.e if you guys can't come with anything ).
Pittacus Lore:
One of my newest series to look through - excellent though not actually fantasy but rather Sci-fi - Pittacus Lore is a pseudonym and I can't remember the real authors name - but they're published under the Pittacus Lore name.
Christopher Paolini:
Inheritance series about Eragon and his dragon and their fight to free the world from evil Galbatorix.
Rick Jiordan:
Percy Jackson series is awesome as books and a bit more....semi-good-ish as movies.

Now for the thing I was complaining about:
I've seen this happen a few times and I am a little tired of it. Half-assed attempts of making movies out of good books. It happened with these.
The Golden Compas: Despite a stellar crew with Daniel Craig, Nicole Kidman, Ian McKellen and Eva Green - it was a MESS!
Eragon: Jeremy Irons and John Malkovich in some of their worst acting EVER...even Robert Carlyle totally overplayed his role as Durza - Ed Speelers was the new kid and he actually did a decent job imho.
7th Son: Gotta be the worst piece of crap I've ever watched, Jeff Bridges actually does even worse than Malkovich and Irons in Eragon

Of course I need to keep in mind the successes too:
Narnia was a good adaptation of the C.S.Lewis series.
Game of Thrones is better than the books in my opinion.
Harry Potter was AWESOME - the books are better but the movies are excellent.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: What books to chew down on now?

Supposedly the third book from Patrick Rothfuss is due out this year. But then that was said last year. And the year before. I sure hope so, the first two book are fantastic. I reread them last year when I was still out driving for 3-4 weeks at a time.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah, I'm at a loss of what I should read next.. (the FR novels per year have been cut in half or more... ) and read all the other series...

All I have left is a series by Paul S. Kemp. (He wrote that famous character Cale) who followed Mask at a time, and Riven this 'friend'. Well, he started a new series (non Forgotten Realms). First Novel is 'The Hammer and the Blade' the second is 'A Discourse in Steel' haven't purchased the others yet. But it sounds GOOD! He's a masterful writer!

A Warrior and a Thief, and they get into all kinds of mischievous plots.. love the humor I've read so far too.. smart assed but friendly.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:57 AM   #4
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Mmmmmh I will check out Kemp Ziroc - that is not something I've looked into yet.

Lord of Beer ( hehe ): Actually there is a book out from him - buts it's more a 2˝ than a 3 in the trilogy - its about Auri and her origin.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Spar yea I know, it was not well reviewed though not because it was written poorly but because it was pointless and boring if I remember right so I did not get it.

I've been reading this

http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Arawn-Co...cycle+of+arawn

Its good, especially for the price. It can get a bit slow but its well written with great characters that develop over the course of the trilogy. I'm almost done with it, its a long trilogy. Mainly I read it when the trucks getting unloaded on Ipad so its taken awhile to read. For $4 on Amazon e-book I recomend it. I actually would have paid more.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:18 AM   #6
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

There is a series by Brandon Sanderson called The Stormlight Archive, I've only read the first book, The Way of Kings, but it was quite enjoyable, as far as I can remember. Might be worth a look. Medieval fantasy sort of thing.
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote