Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Question about CPU speeds...

I know laptops tend to be somewhat less powerful than their desktop counterparts.

A friend of mine told me that laptop CPUs are about half the power of desktop CPUs. By which he seemed to mean that 1GHz on a desktop would only be matched by 2GHz on a laptop. That is to say he was implying that they are measured on completely different scales, so that a GHz on a desktop is not equivalent to a GHz on a laptop.

Granted, I was also told by this friend that they could avoid the lack of support for windows 7 in the BIOS of some newer computers by switching out the HDD. I was pretty sure the BIOS was part of the MB, and a little light digging confirmed this.

So, is he correct about the CPU speeds being measured differently? My gut says no, but my gut is not always correct.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Question about CPU speeds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
So, is he correct about the CPU speeds being measured differently? My gut says no, but my gut is not always correct.
Go with your gut here--your friend is incorrect. Comparing laptop processors against desktop processers is as useful as comparing red ants to black ants. The most useful statistics for processors right now are cores and threads, as well as the internal cache. The speed, as measured in GHz, is essentially irrelevant--a quick browse of new processors for sale shows that the lowest-price/lowest performance ones still run at about 2GHz and the highest-price/highest performance ones run at about 4GHz.

Look for performance, not speed.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Default Re: Question about CPU speeds...

So it's not a matter of GHz being measured differently, rather that laptops may have less threads and/or a smaller cache.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

That depends upon which processor you are buying. There are plenty of laptop CPUs that will outperform desktop CPUs even though they cost only $100 more (an amount chosen at random). You can find plenty of tech discussion boards where processor debates are heated and often wind up involving discussions of the other person's mother.

When someone is looking into getting a new computer, I advise them to begin by thinking about only two things: 1) how much are you willing to spend and 2) what do you want the computer to do? Once you answer those questions you may begin looking at computers, ruling out the ones not in your price range. Clearly, a gaming computer will need the best processor, video card, and as much memory as you can afford; a computer for general home, school, or office use doesn't need as much performance so more memory is the key factor.

Ironically, the people who seem to know the most about the technical minutae of computers and their internal components tend to make the worst choices, often because they are convinced that what they want is the best and no other options could possibly be better. I also see some of those people making choices that look "cool" rather than ones that will perform well, especially when they are building their own. Anyway....I am digressing.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Well, as I was telling my friend, probably the most recent game I might run on the computer is Starcraft 2.

I was considering an ASUS gaming laptop, like this one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...04410&csid=_61

For most games I've shifted towards console systems.

It seems to have become a lot harder to shop for computers and or parts. We've been conditioned to some degree to think that bigger numbers = better stuff, which is not always the case. Certainly bigger pricetag isn't always best.

I'm also looking at some desktop options, but for the reasons above I'm having trouble sorting it all out. Seemed so much simpler when I built my own back in '02-ish.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

The laptop you linked runs better than mine (in theory), but I wonder about the cooling capacity of it. I had (at the time) really high end stuff in my old laptop, and because the cooling was woefully inadequate, I ended up baking it from its own heat. That one was NOT an ASUS, and it was easier to clean, but it literally cooked itself.

My current set up is an ASUS, but it's an i5 quad core at 2.5 GHz, and has a 2 GB Nvidia Geforce 610m. It runs hot (and the case is not easy to open unless you're willing to void the warranty, so it's real hard to clean the CPU fans from all the gunk in dirty air) even with a chillpad blowing at top speed. The overheating (which I watch like a hawk, now) has caused me some grief with graphics stuttering and what I must assume are other GPU glitches.

What a long way to say, "looks good, but mind you don't overheat!"
Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

While, in general, I tend to take user reviews with a grain of salt, almost all the reviews say it runs cool. Having massive vents out the back of the unit couldn't hurt though.

height is .9" in the front and twice that in the rear, which could also aide cooling.

Granted, that doesn't guarantee cool running.

What the reviewers didn't mention was how much stress they put it under while it was busy not overheating.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Cooling is always a more difficult task for laptops, which is why I still prefer desktop computer, even the small form ones. Drop some liquid cooling into the system and you should be set.

The only change I would make to that computer is to take out the hard drive and get an SSD. Sure, you might lose some GB of storage but the increased read/write speeds will be worth it, especially if the primary purpose is for gaming. If you want more storage then get an external drive or a large USB stick. Platen drives are history even if it will take them a few years to die.

I wound up getting a cooling pad for the laptop I have but I think its primary problem is that it got knocked off the table, which is also why I have to connect it to an external monitor right now. I'll upgrade later this year but I am not certain yet I want to move to Win8.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

I was considering this option: http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuyPower-...-more/15374646

Having windows 7 as an option is a strong argument for the "build your own" deal that walmart is pushing. But I may have to cross reference the parts I'd be choosing against another site and see if buying everything seperate wouldn't be cheaper.

I was actually a bit surprised to see anything like it at walmart.

Still the laptop is tempting. Probably look at around Christmas time before I actually take the plunge. All the while I'm still saving up for a car on the side.

I remember Tigerdirect having an application that would let you build your parts list and warn you about incompatibility issues. Or was it a different site? If it was TD they don't have it now, at least, not that I can find.

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 04-05-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

That doesn't look too bad. I would recommend the 2x4GB memory (gives you room to expand later) and I strongly recommend spending the extra $70 for the SSD.

I want to say that NewEgg had compatibility alerts but I could be mistaken. It has been a while since I last visited there.