Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-25-2001, 08:33 AM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

To Aelia
Okay here's what I would add/take out:
Level 2: mirror image (out), resist fear (in)
Why resist fear? I can have a cleric cast that and their spell is better, no?
Level 3: skull trap (out), fireball (in); if you're not soloing then put haste in for web
I picked skull trap over FB because I can get plenty of wands of fire and I hear there are a lot of fire resist creatures in BG2, especially ToB. Am I wrong?
Level 6: death spell, summon nishruu (out), true sight (you must have this one!), improved haste (if you're not soloing)
I was told that deal spell is pretty useful at killing summoned creatures. Furthermore, if I have Keldorn I thought True sight was not all that necessary (I was still reluctant to give it up though)
Level 7: finger of death (out), mordenkenain's sword (in)
With it's crappy thac0, is the sword all that much better than finger of death, which will definitely do some damage?
Level 9: wish (out), power word kill (in)
I thought the power-words only worked on chars below a certain amount of HP. Besides, I can wish to have all my spells rememorized, which is incredibly valuable, no?

Dundee:
I didn't pick dispel Magic because I have remove magic which is more party friendly. Do I really need both? And at the cap for BG, the tables I have say that you can only have 4 L3 spells. I choose spell thrust, because I thought it would be useful to have until I got to be a high enough level for the other anti-protection spells. I decided against emotion because at higher levels, charm spells are pretty useless considering how easy it is for everyone to make a save. The same applies to feeblemind.

Thanks again both of you for your input.

Old 09-25-2001, 11:27 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I am following the spell guide in the ToB manual and from game experience.

Your Sorcerer can have a max of 5 different spells, from spell level 1 to 7, and 4 different spells, from spell level 8 to 9.

ToB allowed you to have more spells, which was good.

Yes, Remove Magic is party-friendly, but it cannot remove stuff like Confusion and Chaos. Keldorn may be able to cast very powerful Dispel Magic, but if he gets confused... It is possible to live without Dispel Magic, but I usually find it tends to be casted a lot.

Sadly, Emotion is usually underestimated. True, enemies in ToB have low saving throws, but that is what Greater Malison is for. Also, Emotion affects an area, so there is a good chance that it will knock out someone.

Feeblemind is extremely potent against the big stuff, however, you need to cast Greater Malison first to make it effective. It essentially reduces the target into a punching bag, literally... Firkragg was a pushover because of this spell.

Do not at any cost, choose Spell Thrust, wait for Pierce Magic.

Judging from your posts, I take it you intend to have Keldorn, if that is so. True Sight will not be needed.

By the way, do not rely too much on Wish, even with 25 WIS, you seldom get the option to rest and rememorise spells. Although the option to boost everybody's stats to 25 is a lark.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 09-25-2001, 05:25 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Actually clerics cast remove fear, I think it's better to cast resist fear before a battle so you don't waste time trying to remove it during a battle when you could be meleeing. Plus mirror image is a really ordinary spell, since your mage shouldn't really be targeted if you're not soloing.

I thought fireball because you had web and web's only good if you follow it up with an area effect spell since your own party will get caught in it.

There aren't really that many summoned creatures so death spell IMO is superfluous if you're a sorceror and limited on spells. True, if you've got Keldorn he can true sight but I still stick with improved haste. This is a must have for me.

Mordenkainen's sword isn't for killing, it's for distracting (this will be very useful in ToB), because hardly any enemy will be able to damage it since it needs a +4 weapon to hit it. I don't like finger of death because anyone you really need to kill with it won't fail the save so they won't die, and the damage it does instead isn't very much.

True, power word kill only works if they're under 60hp, but that's how many they've got at that time. So you could get Firkraag for example down to 59hp and it would kill him instantly. Wish is difficult and I don't like relying on it in the middle of battle. Plus there aren't going to be many times you'll run out of spells in the middle of a battle anyway.

------------------

Goddess and Sorceress of the HADB, and her sidekick Pink