Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-18-2001, 08:10 AM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

It looks like everybody's so content with Kensai kit. But as I know Kensai Fighters cant wear any armor and bracelets isnt it a big disavantage?
Old 08-18-2001, 08:16 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

It is. On the other hand, kensai have very high attack and damage bonuses, not to mention the Kai ability (though this is negated somewhat at higher levels as all warriors can get the Critical Strike ability).

------------------
Old 08-18-2001, 12:09 PM   #3
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Hmmmmm, you may be right but I think AC penalty is a big disadvantage. I cant think a fighter who is unable to wear armor and bracelet and gaunlets. Gaunlets grants you str bonus. Bracelets of defence and a cool armor gives you AC. A fighter who wears full plate mail+3 has AC of -3. And lets dont forget bout the bracelets. Kensai doenst sounds good to me.

Old 08-18-2001, 12:28 PM   #4
hazard
Dungeon Master

Yeah, but kensai's are great for dual-classing
Old 08-18-2001, 01:12 PM   #5
Jim
Quintesson

With dex 18 they have a base AC of 6. The kit has a +2 AC bonus bringing it down to 4. A ring of protection +2 and a ring of gaxx sets it to AC0 which isn't too bad. Then the cloak of the sewer and dusty rose loun stone set it to -2. You can also find a shield amulet in Nalias keep which comes with 40+ charges of base AC set to 4, which gives them an AC of -8. If the amulet runs out you can sell it to a storekeep and buy it back to recharge it. Don't forget the mages spirit armor spell which sets the AC to 1 which would give an overall AC of -11 which is cool.

The to hit and damage bonuses far outweigh the lack of wearing armour, and gauntlets of weapon skill/expertise are pretty much irrelevant when he gets +1 to hit and +1 damage every 3 levels. As for using bracers to increase strength, there are only the gauntlets of ogre power (18/00) and girdles can still be worn to increase strength high than this anyway.
Old 08-18-2001, 01:49 PM   #6
Tuor
Elminster

And if you send the kensai into combat after your tanks, his opponents will be busily concentrating on someone else while your kensai butcher them.

They are NOT desiged to go toe to toe with five heavily armoured opponents they work better one on one.

You can also drop your AC by 2 points by putting two proficiencies into single weapon style...
Old 08-18-2001, 02:51 PM   #7
deathknight
Drow Warrior

No armor certainly is a large disadvantage but kensai are not to be played in the same way as a normal fighter. First off as someone else mentioned they are superb for dual classing. Take a mage or a thief (best is mage IMHO) that already have heavy armor restrictions. now if you dual class a kensai at level 12 or 9 you get those +1/+1 bonuses at every third level. so your thief or mage has high level fighter hit bonuses,extra damage and you didn't spend all that xp leveling up like you would if you went with a pure fighter and switched at like 15.
I never was a big fan of kai really (once you get excellent equipment like giant strength etc and then add in proficiency bonuses weapon damage starts to look pretty small in comparison to only get the boost for 1 round...). The +2ac bonus is sweet though.
One nutty part is that if you combine a mage and a kensai you can have better ac than as a normal kensai because you can wear robes AND cast protective spells (there are gobs and gobs. spirit armor,stoneskin,tensers transformation etc).
for straight melee duties you better have other,better protected guys to take the brunt of the attacks though.
Old 08-18-2001, 06:23 PM   #8
Lioness
Jack Burton

I am playing a lvl 2 Kensai, her attacks are awesome, I just have Minsc and Valygar up therewith her so they take the attacks. Her HP are80 w/ an AC of 2, anyway so she can take damage and overall, I think the fighting bonuses are worth the drawbacks.

------------------

Sword Saint of the HADB Clan
Waitress and entertainer at Cloudy's Cafe
Lil' Angel
Old 08-18-2001, 08:55 PM   #9
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

I assume you mean level 12, Lioness?
Old 08-18-2001, 09:08 PM   #10
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Quote: