Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2002, 11:35 AM   #1
dale
Manshoon

I just rescued RFS-81 and restored him. Now I am wondering whether or not to keep him in my party.

Here are my immediate observations:
He is a monk, but with no magic (which seems to be a defect).

In a few fights so far, he does ok with his fists -- but needs a range weapon of some sort.

He talks a lot

He is five levels or more behind the rest of my guys.

---
So what do people think about the pros and cons of keeping him?

Does he open any doors / give any quests that I would not get without him?

Does he cause any problems (as in dealing with various races)?

Keeping him will act as a point soak for my main characters, and so I only want to do so if it is really worth it. Where does he stay or go when dismissed?
Old 02-20-2002, 11:58 AM   #2
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

He is good to have with you rest of the game train him in "Matrial Arts"(feet and hands) close combat and ranget combat (Sling and Trowing)
The only place he not will go is to the "Rapax Away Camp" and he stay put there you dissmiss him from the party!

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Megabot ]

Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 12:09 PM   #3
Solomon
The Magister

I like to take the metal man along (he's good in the front row, despite not using magic -- I also give him a Mystic Spear or the like for a little reach), but you don't need him for anything in particular. If you don't want him to take the exp., feel free to drop him.

And, as our fine friend from Norway says, if you drop him from the party he'll stay put.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:23 PM   #4
Jem
Zhentarim Guard

I started working on him with a Hayai Bo every other combat or so to raise his staff skills and then gave him the Zatoichi Bo when I got to Rapax Castle. I also gave him the Boomerang Shuriken for ranged attacks. That way I could use him in multiple ways. Against single opponents or groups I let him go h-to-h. In multiple groups he switched between the two weapons depending on where the opponents were.

He also is good for some laughs with the comments he comes out with and has some commentary upon entering most areas. Plus as the others said, there is only one place he won't go. Also, since there is little armor he can wear and what he can is pretty light, he's a great way to expand your party's carrying capacity.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:37 PM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

RFS is the only NPC I take into the party (aside from the temporary rescuees). His close combat skills are good. But he does need a lot of work in the ranged combat area.

One tip I read in an earlier thread advised taking RFS to the target range in Mt. Gigas, and having him the only one attack the dummies. Since he has the boomerang shuriken, there's no ammo worries, and in time his ranged skill should improve quite a bit.

He is completely loyal, and will ascend to the cosmic circle with you. And as others have mentioned, only the Away Camp is off-limits.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 04:48 PM   #6
MaskedFrog
Drow Warrior

Actually I never bothered to have RFS-81 learn ranged combat. I gave him the Zaitochi Bo as a secondary weapon and hands and feet as the primary. Although he was always a few levels behind in my game, he was one of the best fighters in my group. The only fighter better was the Samurai. Actually other than my gadgeteer and ranger I hardly ever used ranged combat. By round 2 I was charging the enemy and engaging in Hand to Hand combat. I would generally use the first round to have RFS-81 suck down a potion of superman or some other potion. This method seemed to work well for me.
MaskedFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:12 PM   #7
dale
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Jem:
I also gave him the Boomerang Shuriken for ranged attacks.

I've seen this mentioned before. Sounds like a good weapon. Where did you get it?

quote:

He also is good for some laughs with the comments he comes out with and has some commentary upon entering most areas.

So I've noticed

quote:

Also, since there is little armor he can wear and what he can is pretty light, he's a great way to expand your party's carrying capacity.

That's a good point. I seem to be running at about 50% capacity or just below to avoid the penalty.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:36 PM   #8
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

Hello folks!

I am around with my 2nd party, so I knew before where to find the NPC's I wanted, and so it cam I grabbed R2D2 at level 8 or so... he was level 10, an amazing increase in melee, since I only have 2 melee-types. Of course he is now a little bit behind the gadgeteer and the bard in levels, but is closer to the next level than the bishops. He's just amazing, I had him use his bare fists, now I gave him something to throw with. His amount of damage easily exceeded that of my samurai, ninja and Vi's, before I got them their finest weapons. With 12 hits per round he also does quite some crits...

In my opinion, he's just a great fighter, not to mention the fun, especially when he's insane (oh well, my bard doesn't like it, always ends up in a resurrection-party...)!

Never forget your towel, cheers
Old 02-20-2002, 10:17 PM   #9
Jem
Zhentarim Guard

Dale -- the Boomerang Shuriken is one of your prizes from cleaning out the temple upon finishing off the infamous Sorceress Queen and her cohorts. Actually, I believe it -- and most of the better items there -- come from the next set of baddies you fight after you finish her group off. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2002, 11:07 PM   #10
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The reason i suggest i he shall learn "matrial arts" is that he has wery high skills in that when you get him in to the party and the trowing part hi learn wery fast and with "dobble cast sling" with "medusa stones" he is greate i think!
The boomeran thingie is in the Temple in SE Wilderness!

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Megabot ]

Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote