Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2000, 03:55 PM   #1
_max_RUSSKIE

Uhhhm im new to this but... what book will give me the begginings?? What about this.... Just from my knowledge of Baldurs Gate 1 + 2 from reading all the books littered around in the game.... will I be able to read the books ( the reall ones )without thinking ive missed out all the history... or not understanding anything?
Old 11-19-2000, 06:46 PM   #2
winglesfiend

Yes I'm asking the same question!I really want to experience more
after torment,bg1,icewinddale and bg2
Old 11-19-2000, 11:20 PM   #3
Larry

Hmmm...I do not know if I have understood your question, but I think I have. You are not missing out on anything by not reading the novels...but for those of us who do recognize the names of the cities, the chars. and all that, it just makes us go, "Wow!! I am here!!" or "Hey! Those things are uglier than I had imagined..." If you are apt to understand all this "son of Bhaal" thing, maybe check out the Avatar Trilogy by Richard Awlinson. It will only help you see some stuff going on in the world where you are living as a child of Bhaal. Now, I do not actually remember in the books anything about children of the death God...that was only invented to produce an interesting game. If you care not to read...then don't worry about it...(though...the books are far more greater than any game!!)
Old 11-20-2000, 02:33 AM   #4
_max_RUSSKIE

UUhhhm no i mean./...

If i read the drizzt trilogy, will i go...Hey i dont know what that is, where that place is, what he is babbling on about? What im getting at is Are they Categorized? or is each book its own story regardless of previous ones.
Old 11-20-2000, 11:03 PM   #5
Larry

They do follow a chronological order. It starts before the fall of the Gods...then the Avatar trilogy changed the way that all of the other authors could write, because everyone had to accept that Cyric was the new God of Death and Murder, and everyone uses the "Time of Troubles" as it was called, to mark the passing of time, much like we use BC and AD...
Anyway, of course, some authors may decide to write about a particular unused time space in history, so they are allowed to break the "Time of Troubles" standard, but they have to remember not to change the history so dramatically as to not allow the events that already we have read about to become nullified.

So, in short...the authors are told thier limits, and thier stories are guided by what others have previously written. They are not allowed to contradict another novel. Does that help??? Or am I still lost at sea???
Old 11-20-2000, 11:04 PM   #6
Larry

If you would like for me to mention the names of the books in the order of thier release, to give guidance as to which is first, I will be willing to help.
Old 11-21-2000, 12:31 AM   #7
Larr2

You'll have it tonight, then, when I arrive home from work.
Old 11-21-2000, 10:57 AM   #8
_max_RUSSKIE

Yeah plz do!

It would be like reading the 5 th book off the Belgariad (David Eddings NE1?) without reading the first ones!

Plz do
Old 11-21-2000, 01:31 PM   #9
_max_RUSSKIE

Wow using my extreme intelligence i have gathered you r the same person! Have you tried seeing a shrink about schizophrenia?
Old 11-22-2000, 07:20 AM   #10
_max_RUSSKIE

P.s. JOKE