Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2001, 02:11 AM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Istaron:
Well, I think Summon Fiend is the coolest, or the ToB-spell gate wich summons a Pit-fiend

You can cast Gate from scrolls in SoA. It summons a (fake) pit fiend.

------------------
Old 09-11-2001, 10:46 AM   #12
don_carlo_uk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Practically speaking i used Skeleton warriors and fire elementals the most (i haven't got TOB yet)

But i have a bit of a soft spot for ogres.

Charlie.

Me will crush you.
Crush you to GOO!
Old 09-11-2001, 11:08 AM   #13
Vampire

Skeleton Warriors are the most effective and efficient. Only level 3 Priest!

------------------
Old 09-11-2001, 11:09 AM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Skeleton Warrior, great for battles where magic is involved a lot. Immuned to normal weapons. Main weaknesses are Death Spell and Slow attacks. Hits real hard though.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 09-12-2001, 07:55 PM   #15
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

Skeleton Warriors are definately the best value.. summoning 5 with viconia helps ALOT of the tough battles in SoA. In ToB they are mostly fodder for the tougher creatures, but oh well.

I also like that they last 8 hours, so that if they don't get killed, you can keep them with you for a whole level of a dungeon. Compare that to the short summoning duration of Greater Elemental, or Planetar/Deva, and Skel Warriors are even more useful.

[This message has been edited by floyd (edited 09-12-2001).]
Old 09-12-2001, 11:34 PM   #16
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Planetars are obviously the most amazing summoned creature in ToB but the winter wolves do sound cool. The thing is though about summoned creatures is that in most cases I think they are more effective as fodder than anything else. That said I would prefer my summoned creatures to be up in melee instead of in the back lines and also I want them to be durable. This is why the skeleton warriors are so wicked. Of course there are better summoned creatures for flat out damage but man those skeleton warriors are nice and you can cast so many of them!
Old 09-13-2001, 12:23 AM   #17
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Skeleton warriors are great if the opponents aren't massive creatures that crumble them to pieces. I found that out in the mindflayer dungeons. Invisible stalkers attack faster and also have the benefit of high magic resistance, but I think they get killed more easily.

Do magic swords count in this discussion? If so, they're my favourite. Seems they are indestructible... too bad they are unsummoned mighty fast.
Old 09-13-2001, 01:14 AM   #18
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

...My favorite-LOOKING summon is the Pit Fiend (sic) from the Gate spell [does that strictly count as a "summon"? - in the manual Elminster sez there's a difference between summoning and gating...] - I also think it has the coolest-looking summon effect. The first time an enemy cast Gate at us, we just stood transfixed at the sight saying "OH - MY - GOD..." to ourselves. [Of course we couldn't do anything else 'cause we were Time-Stopped ] I couldn't wait for Anomen to earn that spell, just to try it out inside the Adventure Mart...Ribald was not amused...

Fire Elementals made me feel the most confident in battle in the earlier part of the game - don't know if I could have handled wolfweres so well without them... Now in chapter 5 I'd say, yeah, the Skeleton Warriors are damned nice to have as friends - I like their death animation also. Though the Mountain Bears are sort of... cuddly...

I've never tried the Animal Summoning spells- didn't know there were any creatures worth the memo slot. Thanks - I'll give those a try.
Old 09-13-2001, 02:11 AM   #19
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Out of curiosity, how much Magic Resistance does a Skeleton Warrior have?

Planar Sphere Fight Spoiler:
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
I just played Planar Sphere with my Blade Bard who was Lvl 16, the poor halfling Warriors did not know what hit them.

Remember! Skeleton Warriors are immuned to normal weaponary.

It was great against the halfling cleric and mage too! Spells, after spells bounced off it while my bard, Jack, was laughing off his ass somewhere out of sight.

Minsc, Jan and Aerie were in the room with the Knights. Oh, and one Skeleton Warrior soloed the fishmen in the room north of the knights.

Hell! The maze spell that the halfling mage casted, bounced off the Skeleton Warrior... ... After a while, Jack got bored and joined the Skeleton Warrior when both the cleric and mage, ran out of spells.

Then later on... we would meet Tolgerias! Oh my god! I never seen such an one-sided battle.

As those who played the Planar Sphere quest know, you need to go through a door to meet Tolgerias. I did not.

Jack opened the door, and casted Animate Dead. Tolgerias' fellow mage, who is hostile from the start, starts summoning galore.

Due to overwhelming odds, the Skeleton Warrior fell, but not before killing most of them for some decent Xp.

Now here's the cute part... ...

I rested.

I could rest, because there was no enemy in sight.

Waking up refreshed, Jack casted Animate Dead again. The neat part is, the mage does not gain back her summoning spells, so she began to barrage the Skeleton Warrior with spells, 99.9999% of which would fail to get through. Symbols, Power Words, Disintergrate, Magic Missiles, etc... ... the Skeleton Warrior just shrug them off and chopped it's way through the Stoneskins till the mage was dead.

Now... when the Skeleton Warrior meleed the mage, Tolgerias became hostile, and the same story, Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, more Symbols and Power Words, etc... ...

Finally... finally, Tolgerias grew a brain and casted Death Spell, which killed the Skeleton Warrior. That was okay, Jack just casted another one.

BwerWahHAHAHAHA!!!!

Needless to say, nobody got hurt, except the Skeleton Warriors of course.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart

[This message has been edited by Dundee Slaytern (edited 09-13-2001).]
Old 09-13-2001, 03:54 AM   #20
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Istaron:
Greater Elemental Summonig is also Cool.

Sure is! Especially when you get the Chan!!! And what about Summon Deva/Summon Fallen Deva??

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst