Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2001, 09:10 AM   #1
Demoquin
Dungeon Master

i heard that a ranger/cleric is pretty good so i was wondering what should i do?
WHo should i pick first Ranger or Cleric and duel at what level? Also i might put this char on BG2 with the Beastmaster kit? any good? For BG2 what should i put down for weapon proficiences. ANy help would be appreciated.

------------------

I am Demoquin, Agent from Hell
Demoquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 09:42 AM   #2
Legolas the Elven Archer

Create a ranger first. That way, after you dual, you'll keep learning more and higher level cleric spells. If you intend to take the ranger to BG2, the beast master is a good choice, seeing as the disadvantage (can't use metal weapons) was already there (a cleric can't use a bladed or piercing weapon), meaning that you get to summon animals for free

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
Old 09-05-2001, 10:08 AM   #3
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

A half-elf can multiclass as a cleric-ranger; it is the only race allowed to choose this option. I think as a rule any multiclass character becomes more powerful overall (although I usually play a cleric-thief--perhaps with this class combo dualing does make more sense). So what if you are a level or two behind the pure classes. Big deal. You'll barely notice.

If you dual with the plan to take the character into BG2 then without question start as a ranger and dual to cleric. Then, as a cleric, you will have access to all the neat higher level cleric spells in BG2. Make sure that as you progress through BG1/Tales your weapons proficiencies are allocated to blunt, missile, or spiked as any ranger profs in piercing and slashing weapons will disappear when you dual to cleric.

Addendum: Just tested this out with a multiclass ranger-cleric and a ranger that I dualed to cleric side by side, CLUAing up the XP to levlel-up. Both versions start out with four weapons profs stars to distribute--maximum of two per weapon--and will also be able to acquire 2 more. That is, both can gain up to six stars total, but no more two per weapon in blunt, missile, and spiked.

If you dual a ranger to cleric at level 5 (18000 XP) you will not pick up the the final star (of the possible six total). It becomes impractical to try to dual a ranger at level 6 IMO. There were no substantial differences in HP and stealth. You do come out ahead by a couple of spell slots if you dual. But by the time you reach level 6 or 7 as a cleric will you really care?. Also your stealth percentage will of course be frozen at around 60% when you dual. And when you enter BG2 forget about acquiring druid spells.

Multiclass this combo.

[This message has been edited by Lemernis (edited 09-05-2001).]
Lemernis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 01:00 PM   #4
Vampire

Remember weapon!

Priest>Fighter>Thief>Mage

------------------
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 01:28 PM   #5
Cloud
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am curently MULTI-classing a Cleric ranger and he's great. I recomend you multiclass him so you get a better THACo progression. Also you may be able to keep him on the front lines I can still (I'm only at level 4/4). Hopefully I will be able to keep him on the front in BG2.

It's like the fighter mage you always wanted (not pratting about with armour) but obviously Cleric spells.

------------------
Cloud
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 05:36 PM   #6
Bromley
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I like the beastmaster idea - it wouldn't have occurred to me. Just be aware that there are some nice metal weapons which you may regret not being able to use.

I also prefer to multi in general - it avoids the "I wish I'd advanced 2 extra levels before I dualled", which can ruin a character for me. I believe it also proves useful in TOB when selecting abilities, although I've still yet to play it.
Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 09:22 PM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Bromley:
I like the beastmaster idea - it wouldn't have occurred to me. Just be aware that there are some nice metal weapons which you may regret not being able to use.

I also prefer to multi in general - it avoids the "I wish I'd advanced 2 extra levels before I dualled", which can ruin a character for me. I believe it also proves useful in TOB when selecting abilities, although I've still yet to play it.
SPOILER
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
The beastmaster is NOT a good kit for the dual classing option you are thinking of. The three best weapons for clerics in BG2 are a warhammer, a flail, and a mace (in that order). The beastmaster cannot use any of these; he is limited to quarterstaves (a few decent ones, but mainly for druids and mages) and clubs (pretty shabby selection) as melee weapons. In fact, I would recommend against any of the kits in BG2 for the dual-classed character (all of them have limitations that hurt your character more than if you are just a single-classed ranger). Definitely be a ranger first, and dual at 9th level (you'll have to wait until the next game for actually switching to cleric). This gives all 9 of your hit dice that you will get as d10 instead of d8, plus you will get the extra hp for having an 18 constitution (a definite must). At 1st level, put 2 points in sling and 2 points in either mace, flail, or warhammer (your choice; I would choose mace, since it will help you more in BG1). Then at 3rd and 6th levels, put slots in flail (you don't get the good warhammer until later in the game). This will set you up quite nicely for the next game.

The reason this is a good dual class combination will become apparent in BG2. The ranger gets access to druid spells at 8th level. When you change to cleric, you only have access to cleric spells. That is, until you get access to ranger class back. Then, you have access to both cleric and druid spells for all of your spell slots (druids have some NICE spells in the next game ). This will give your character many options, and the fact that you can dual-wield weapons in the next game makes it that much sweeter to be a ranger (they get 2 slots in two-weapons style for free as a class skill). You lose shields, but when you dual-wield 2 of the best weapons in the game (one of which you get early on), who cares about a shield!

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 05:46 AM   #8
Cloud
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for that Nerull!

Sounds like my character could be really good for BG2. With 19 Str and a whopping 21 Wisdom. Dual weilding with some nice spells to throw around too, everyone's gonna die. I think I know what good weapons you are talking about but I have a question.

How do the weapon profiecincies go through to BG2? If I remember rightly there is no "Spiked" weapon prof in BG2 they are all moe specific. Do you get to re-distibute your points?

------------------
Cloud
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 11:11 AM   #9
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Just checked it out. Wow. With a freshly roled up multiclass ranger-cleric you start off with an automatic 2 stars in two weapon style. Then you get 6 stars to distibute, maximum 2 per slot. Flail is the only spiked weapon.

In BG1 you will be giving the character proficiency in missile weapons. But I can't recall how profs from BG1 convert when you inport the character into BG2. You may get the opportunity to redistribute as if the character were new. If so, I would assign the stars as follows:

spiked 2 (Flail of Ages)
war hammer 2 (Crom Faeyr)
mace 2 (they are plentiful early in the game)

You could have him dual wielding Crom Faeyr and the Flail of Ages.

Somewhat to my surprise, my cleric-thief in BG2 has turned out to be a frontline fighter. When he isn't in melee he's casting spells, but he's almost never hurling slingbullets. Therefore, for the cleric-ranger IMO the mace proficiency may prove more helpful than sling early on. But of course this all depends on party composition.

[This message has been edited by Lemernis (edited 09-06-2001).]
Lemernis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 12:41 AM   #10
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloud:
Thanks for that Nerull!

Sounds like my character could be really good for BG2. With 19 Str and a whopping 21 Wisdom. Dual weilding with some nice spells to throw around too, everyone's gonna die. I think I know what good weapons you are talking about but I have a question.

How do the weapon profiecincies go through to BG2? If I remember rightly there is no "Spiked" weapon prof in BG2 they are all moe specific. Do you get to re-distibute your points?

Yes, you get to redistribute your points. If you are a wizard, you have to choose new spells, too.

In general, I choose to lose the stealth ability (by wearing heavier armors) in BG2. Sure, it is useful, but so is being able to stay alive in melee combat (and if you are dual wielding with no shield...). That's what makes Archers and Stalkers bad kits for a ranger/cleric (they restrict your armor).

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote