Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2001, 10:38 PM   #1
chutamango
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Im going to dual boot my win2k system with win98se...i have bg2 installed already though. Id like to know how I can just edit the reg to make it work under 98se. Anyone know what settings i have to put in? Currently its installed in win2k. thanks

chuta
Old 06-18-2001, 10:47 PM   #2
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Why would you want to boot into win98 (it is a piece of crap)?

(I know you think there will be a perfomance gain)

Do this instead:

Create a Power User under Win2k by going into the control panel and creating a new User to log on to. This gets rid of a lot of the fault tolerant software that is working while logged on as an Administrator (or with Admin. poweres). Do this for all of your games. This will give at least 90% of the perfomance gain (if there is any) that 98 gives to games over 2k.
Old 06-19-2001, 04:11 AM   #3
chutamango
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well...the 3d isnt really working on my win2k....hasnt with my tnt2 ultra nor my kyro2. So in 98se it should work fine. Alos there are other games that dont work with win2k at all...

chuta
Old 06-19-2001, 04:20 AM   #4
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

This may be worthless to you but Ill say it anyway.

Ive heard that windows 2k was more business oriented. Windows ME was more for gamers.

Dump windows 98 (it IS crap) and get windows ME. its alot easier to use and has drivers for most video cards.

I just got a new comp and a nVidia 32 m64 video card and couldnt get bg2 to play in 3d. i went into the bg2 configuration and (cant remember the particular button but its on the upper right hand corner of the graphics tab) and downloaded the latest GLsetup thingy.

i also got the drivers for the Detonator video card (which isnt the recommended one) and installed them to my video card.

NOW my 3d works just fine... and man does it look cool

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2001, 04:58 AM   #5
merc widowmaker
Dungeon Master

Firstly if any of the windows 9x are crap, its WindowsME !! Secondly performance wise you're gonna get a hell of alot more out of the Win98_SE then the 2k. 3rdly the tnt driver will work much better in a Windows 9x OS.

So in conclusion you're doing the right thing by making a duel boot to 98, however I think youll have a hard time installing 98 on the same hard drive (not same partition) if the 2k is already installed. (win 98 will write over your MBR (master boot record) ... I am assuming you know all this so I wont continue If you need more help on duel-booting 98/2k ask on the thread and I'll try to help. Lastly I advise a uninstall of BGII from win2k and the install in win98. (its not just a question of registry entries, but also a question of registering dlls etc.)

------------------

Nobody tells me what to do, not even me !
Old 06-19-2001, 05:08 AM   #6
chutamango
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ya...shoot..forgot about the MBR.....actually I thought it was win2k that writes over it...and if you install 98se first then win2k..youll get problems. Or maybe the other way around.....hmm...I guess I can do it on a differentHD...but...jeez...its a slow HD......I guess I wont be doing a dually any time soon....hell...looks like bg2 will have to be uninstalled anyway....but why? Ill go through the trouble. Id like to have it run on both 2k and 98se...withOUT installing twice....4 gigs for a game is rather large.

If you could refresh my memory on the best way to install a dual I would appreciate it. I read all this on the kt7araid forums and forgot exactly where....

chuta