Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2001, 06:00 PM   #1
Mordenheim
Elminster

What are the two best long swords for a Kensai to use?

What is a good place to put your prof points at? How many for dual wield and how many for long sword? or is single sword better?

Use to a Mage. Thanks for your time and your help.
Mordenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 06:16 PM   #2
Mordenheim
Elminster

Oh and can you use cloaks?
Old 12-04-2001, 06:24 PM   #3
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

The equilisers a long sword. Also celestial fury is cool. Can stun your oppenents and do alot of damage.Also get daystar. Get your cleric to cast sunray and use the swords ability to cast sunray at the same time and the lich dies straight away. A slight chance you have to hit him a few times 1st.No point having some pointless long battle if you can kill him in abou 5 seconds. Doesn't work on Kangaxx by the way. He'll just slaughter u.

Warby
Warby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 12:50 AM   #4
peipei_lin
The Magister

I used to like equalizer, but after more experiences with TOB, I reckon that sword is not so good.

I would recommend, if you have collector's edition, get the Dak'kon's Zerth Blade and use in off-hand. This is a must if you want to dual to a mage in lv9. I strongly recommend you do this.
But if you don't want to dual, then of-course don't bother getting the blade. For both not dual or dual, you MUST have Celestial Fury Katana. Thats just a bloody good weapon. And have daystar as backup. Equalizer is only for fun use only, or for cool looking. ^_^

You don't have to fellow me however, because I am a rookie on Kensai/Mage as well. But I have tasted the power of this class, and I suggest you dual if you are not planning to.

Just for your information:

Main Hand: Celestial Fury, Daystar, Blackrazor (I am LG, but I got it)
Off Hand: Dak'kons Zerth Blade
Armor: Venca Robe
Helmet: Bronze Ioun Stone
Necklace: Amulet of Power
Rings: Ring of Gaxx, Ring of Wizardry
Boot: Boot of speed
Cloak: Cloak of Mirroring / Cloak of Sewers
Belt: Belt of Inertial Barrier

PS: Some is from TOB
PPS: Hope I am not too bossy!
Never will the reality be more grander then dreams...<br />Thats why many people fail. Then again, to those who succeed, they must had dreamed as well...<br />The world is of 2 equal planes, the one we are in, is the one of opposite that is opposite to our plane. It is seemingly difficult to understand, buy would anyone notice? <br /><br />---so sayeth the God of Wisdom<br /> Windspear
peipei_lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 01:57 AM   #5
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

if you want longswords, use the daystar, and equalizer. goth are great weapons. [img]graemlins/rambo.gif[/img]
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 05:02 AM   #6
BALROGBANE
Zhentarim Guard

Celestial Fury + Blackrazor is the best combo in the game. However you only get black razor late in the game. Celestial fury is a Katana but well worth the star in its class. Equalizer is way to hard to get for what it actually does. Blade of roses is a good sword(available from the copper coronet after the gladiator/slave quest. Flame tounge and daystar are both adaquete.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:50 AM   #7
Mordenheim
Elminster

Thanks for all the help guys. I got **** in Long sword and ** in two weapon... what do you think?
Old 12-05-2001, 09:04 AM   #8
Kaleban
Manshoon

I have a Kensai at 12th level, grandmastered in Katana with 3 stars in Two-Weapon Style. I plan to dual to a mage at level 13 (for the extra half attack), and then hand him the Staff of the Magi.

Celestial Fury is actually quite easy to get once you have a strategy down, and with 3 main-hand attacks per round, and wearing the boots of speed, he can zoom to any point in a battle and start slaughtering.

At this point, the only weapon I can hope for that is +4 or better is in ToB, and I'm not there yet. Of course, once dualed to a mage, I can use my points in Quarterstaff (you get profs at the mage rate, but apparently a dualed fighter can add more than 1...) to hit any enemies that the katanas cannot, such as Golems and other nasty monsters.

And the thing is, when dual wielding, your off-hand only gets one attack, so it may be worth it to put the Equalizer in the off-hand even with NO proficiencies for the protection it offers from mind-control-type attacks. Plus a Kensais ThacO will be so low, that with no stars he'll still be very effective.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:19 AM   #9
BALROGBANE
Zhentarim Guard

Just work on putting stars in the katanna slot and you should be fine. Put the long sword in your off hand aswell.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:37 AM   #10
Kaleban
Manshoon

Well, since you're going long sword, you've got better long-term otpions, altough its hard to beat CF's stun effect in melee combat.

Definitely try to get Blackrazor during the "tests" as its one of the best +3 swords in SoA. Equalizer is great as a main hand switch weapon when under assault by mind-flayers and umber hulks, or similar buggers.

The Blade of Roses is also nice as a switch weapon for the Charisma boost, and the Flametongue sword works against undead, even Kangaxx very well (effective troll killer too...).