Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2001, 01:44 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The team owners, overwhelmingly, gave Commissioner Seilig the power to eliminate 2 franchises which aren't "pulling their weight" economically.

It looks like the Twins and the Expos will be the losers, but the Marlins are also a possibility.

In an interesting twist, a team may need to be moved from one league to another. If so, there is a young team, still under an expansion contract, that could be forced to switch without any choice. The world champion Arizona Diamondbacks!

Here's a little Baseball Trivia. When was the last time baseball eliminated teams? Can't remember? There's a good reason...
It was after the 1899 season that the NL was reduced to 8 teams through the elimination of Baltimore, Cleveland, Louisville, and Washington.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:49 PM   #2
domingo
Zhentarim Guard

Crap that would suck .... I grew up with baseball and now their just gonna pull the plug on two teams that have been around forever ... what a sad sad day
Old 11-07-2001, 05:35 PM   #3
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

I'm a Phillies season ticket holder. Not having the Expos around any more will be a bit odd. I know that professional sports are only about money these days and that the fan's opinions really don't matter. Think about the All Star game and all of that voting before hand.
Old 11-08-2001, 07:24 AM   #4
Lioness
Jack Burton

bleh, I hate the way baseball's going.
Old 11-08-2001, 10:18 AM   #5
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

If baseball implemented a salary cap this could have been avoided. The only thing that is keeping quite a few of the teams above water is the sharing of TV revenues. If they weren't sharing that, the contraction might be four or five teams.

Didn't Montreal average 7000+ fans per game? The city is obviously not needing a baseball team. (Who needs baseball when you have hockey )
Old 11-08-2001, 10:38 AM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The Twins and the Expos, if I remember correctly, only make about 8% of the top league team's earnings, and less than 18% of the industry average.

It's sad to lose teams, but those numbers are pretty bad
Old 11-08-2001, 10:41 AM   #7
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

We have been begging for a team out here in the DC metro area....Ive got an idea!!!! Give us the expos!