Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2001, 07:40 PM   #1
Charean
Hathor

Went through the first phase of training and have learned that there really is a legal way to drive truck!! (I used to drive somewhat illegally - dispatch at companies being what they are). Have another week of class/driving and then I am on with freight! Yes, my GPA was high - but dangit all, I missed 2 on my final for a 94%... I bummed.

Every day I realize how happy I am to be doing what I am doing. Leaving DC and my life there, although hard at the time, was the best thing I ever did. I realize that when I look in the mirror and see me smiling back!! (Keep your chin up Moridin... I was where you are not too long ago!)

Driving the truck was somewhat familiar, but I am pretty rusty (oddly enough, similar in color to the trucks I was driving!) I am really looking forward to getting out and seeing the skies and the land. There is a little more paperwork now, but nothing that isn't tedious and necessary

Explored the Green Bay area in Wisconsin pretty well - it is pretty there, but unfortunately, due to the paper mills in the area you cannot eat whatever you catch (for you folks who thought about fishing)... it is sad... you bury what you catch. The town has practically no population to speak of and 15 minutes for rush hour is lengthy. Downtown is deserted during the day and just plain odd if you are from a city. Green Bay is a town that kinda sprawled... lots of land and buildings considering the lack of populace. I only saw 1 dairy...and the joke there is when you smell cows - it is the Dairy-Air!! (gaffaw!)

Will check back with you all next week... take care!!

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
You are what your deep driving desire is; As your deep driving desire is, so is your will; As your will is so is your deed; As your deed is so is your destiny.
The Upanishads
Old 07-13-2001, 07:54 PM   #2
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Hi Charean !

Great to see you back if only for just a little while Thanks for the support...

Green Bay really is a 'big' hick town isn't it! I don't think anybody would have ever heard of it if it were not for the Packers!

Never tried fishing in that area and now with your advice, never will

Take care on the road and good luck with the rest of your classes/exams/whatever and remember if you are coming through this part of the world, give me a call....I have nothing but time on my hands now!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
Old 07-13-2001, 11:05 PM   #3
Conan

I was born in Mad-Town..watch it now..

------------------

Old 07-14-2001, 02:25 AM   #4
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
I was born in Mad-Town..watch it now..

Ummm....errrr.....sorry! Didn't mean anything too terribly bad about Green Bay...just have to rip on it being from Minnesota and all don't you know

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
Old 07-14-2001, 04:02 AM   #5
DawnChaser
Zhentarim Guard

Hi there!!! Good to see you on here! I will try to catch you online this weekend...

"Hi Charean!!!"

------------------

Old 07-14-2001, 09:29 AM   #6
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Hi Charean, I am very happy to hear that things seem to be going great for you !

Only 94% on your exam ? Hm, from your contributions here I already had a growing suspicion that you were at least slightly intellectually challenged ...

I am amazed by the fact that you are able to see anything at all when you look into a mirror - considering the blinding reflections those sparkling eyes of yours must produce !

Take care and keep us updated on your adventures, please !

------------------
So long !

R³ - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !
Old 07-14-2001, 11:58 AM   #7
Charean
Hathor

Don't you worry none, Moridin!! You will hear from me!

Hee hee, Conan... ya'll didn't tell me there was no one in Green Bay!! I expected more of a city, ya know!! Had to drive 20 miles but found some really great sushi!!

DawnChaser and Counterpoint - HOWDY!!! Missed you guys... I have been away from a computer for 2 weeks, I find not only have I forgotten how to type, but almost forgot how to boot up the puter! There is no key and no clutch!! (giggle)If I paint my puter orange, shoot me!

Ramon de Ramon y Ramon - Ah, flattery will get you almost anywhere (chocolate on the other hand...) You are sweet! Yes, I am enjoying myself immensely - funny how people who want to drive truck are very similar. Funny thing, there are always women in the class. My class had 8 women out of 65 people. Of course, they were the ones doing well!

This is a tough life - about 16 have already dropped out of the class for one reason or another. Some are afraid of the responsiblity (if there is a crash between a car and a truck, the truckdriver gets the responsibility because we are the professional and should know how to avoid them), some don't like the time away from home (let's face it, you get pretty removed from the homelife), some just can't get the hang of a double-clutch to shift, and there are other assorted reasons. This is something that suits me a little too well - being paid to drive has always been something that appeals to me, and the longer the drive the better.

In a way, it is almost like joining the military - there is a comraderie on the road that few other professions match, and there is support for the folks at home to deal with having a driver in the family. The company is always there when you need help, break down, need to go home, or anything else that comes up. It is omni-present in that you have a computer on your truck that lets the company know where you are all the time, and you have communication with them via satellite.

Ok, now we are getting into rhapsodies, time to quit while I am behind!

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
You are what your deep driving desire is; As your deep driving desire is, so is your will; As your will is so is your deed; As your deed is so is your destiny.
The Upanishads
Old 07-15-2001, 06:19 PM   #8
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Hi Charean, nice to know you're doing fine. Thanks for updating us. Seems like you'll be on the road in no time. Have fun and be safe. Congratulations on your GPA, only 2 wrong. WOW!!!!

------------------
Old 07-15-2001, 06:31 PM   #9
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Hey look its everyones favourite table dancer

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."