Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-23-2001, 08:02 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

RECEIVED THIS INFO FROM A CLOSE FRIEND, THOUGHT I'D PASS IT ALONG, AS THESE DRUGS ARE VERY POPULAR AND USED BY MANY:

Subject: FW: Drug recall
>
> All drugs containing Phenylpropanolamine are being recalled. You may want
> to try calling the 800 number listed on most drug boxes and inquire about
> a refund. Please read this carefully, as I know that some of you may use
> some of these drugs (Alka Seltzer Plus for one).
>
> Also, please pass this on to everyone you know. Stop taking anything
> containing this ingredient. It has been linked to increased hemorrhagic
> stroke (bleeding in brain) among women ages 18-49 in the three days after
> starting use of medication.

After checking it out 1st... This recall is indeed true. You can get more
info (than us given below) at this government site:
http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/ppa/default.htm

> Problems were not found in men, but the FDA recommended that everyone
> (even children) seek alternative medicine.
>
> The following medications contain Phenylpropanolamine:
>
> Acutrim Diet Gum Appetite Suppressant Plus Dietary Supplements
> Acutrim Maximum Strength Appetite Control
> Alka-Seltzer Plus Children's Cold Medicine Effervescent
> Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold medicine (cherry or orange)
> Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine Original
> Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough Medicine Effervescent
> Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Flu Medicine Effervescent
> Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Sinus Effervescent
> Alka Seltzer Plus Night-Time Cold Medicine Effervescent
> BC Allergy Sinus Cold Powder
> BC Sinus Cold Powder
> Comtrex Deep Chest Cold & Congestion Relief
> Comtrex Flu Therapy & Fever Relief
> Day & Night Contac 12-Hour Cold Capsules
> Contac 12 Hour Caplets
> Coricidin D Cold, Flu & Sinus
> Dexatrim Caffeine Free
> Dexatrim Extended Duration
> Dexatrim Gelcaps
> Dexatrim Vitamin C/Caffeine Free
> Dimetapp Cold & Allergy Chewable Tablets
> Dimetapp Cold & Cough Liqui-Gels
> Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir
> Dimetapp Elixir
> Dimetapp 4 Hour Liquid Gels
> Dimetapp 4 Hour Tablets
> Dimetapp 12 Hour Extentabs Tablets
> Naldecon DX Pediatric Drops
> Permathene Mega-16
> Robitussin CF
> Tavist-D 12 Hour Relief of Sinus & Nasal Congestion
> Triaminic DM Cough Relief
> Triaminic Expectorant Chest & Head Congestion
> Triaminic Syrup Cold & Allergy
> Triaminic Triaminicol Cold & Cough
>
> I just found out and called the 800# for Triaminic and they informed me
> that they are voluntarily recalling the following medicines because of a
> certain ingredient that is causing strokes and seizures in children.
>
> Orange 3D Cold & Allergy Cherry (Pink)
> 3D Cold & Cough Berry
> 3D Cough Relief
> Yellow 3D Expectorant
>
> They are asking you to call them at 800-548-3708 with the lot number on
> the box so they can send you postage for you to send it back to them, and
> they will also issue you a refund. If you know of anyone else with small
> children, please pass this on.
>
> Serious stuff

------------------
Old 06-23-2001, 08:37 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey LadyZ

Long time no see! Still doin those amazing flippy-somersault things I see! LOL

I use a higher dose version of ppa (phenylpropanolamine) for my allergy related congestion and my doctor has told me that some of this news in the media is being taken out of context and that I shouldn't worry about it. I was pretty darned worried when I saw the news reports last year of it being taken off the over the counter market. Apparently, according to my doctor and some people in the pharmaceutical trade that I know, it is a case of a very small percentage of adverse reactions that is causing the FDA to remove it from over -the counter but NOT from prescription use, so there is no need to panic, but definitely something to think about.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 06-23-2001, 09:17 PM   #3
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Hey Sis! Yeah, still flipping about LOL, albeit in a smaller version soon LOL

Please be careful CB, because the pharmaceutical companies will of course tell you that there are small percentages of "adverse reactions", as they are making money selling the drug. Not to mention that many doctors receive gifts, etc. from pharmaceutical companies for simply agreeing to recommend certain drugs.

Just one example: I went to a doctor about 6 years ago for headaches. She insisted that my problem was allergies (even though I had no obvious allergy symptoms, no watery eyes, no stuffy nose or sneezing, etc.). She prescribed two different drugs for me. First, she gave me Seldane (which, btw, I had to take every day, whether I had a headache or not, which I wasn't happy about). Then when that didn't seem to work, after about six months, she prescribed to me Hismanol. Well that didn't work either, and later both drugs were completely recalled because they did heart damage. Both of these drugs also cost a pretty penny. I also remember sitting in her waiting room and hearing her "prescribe" these same drugs to others. Last year, about this time of year, I also had some strange heart pains on and off that went on for about two months. Strange...

Not to mention the fact that the pharmaceutical companies have millions, and quite a lot of power in money and lawyers, and taking a drug off the public counters is not an easy thing to do, not without good evidence.

Anyway, again, just posting this FYI so to speak, I'm not trying to be preachy. I'm no expert on these matters, but thought to post it, as if it helps anyone, even one person, it is well worth it. Please be careful sis, I know you have allergies and need to take something for relief, I just worry is all...

------------------
Old 06-23-2001, 09:30 PM   #4
Gaelic
Elminster

Those big, bad, evil drug companies that make products that save lives every day. Did you know that only 1 out of every 5000 substances researched ever makes it to initial testing. Only a small percentage make it to Phase 1 human trials, a small percentage of those make it to Phase 2, and about half of those make it to Phase 3. 99% or more of drugs approved by the FDA have been used safely for years and, by the way, every drug that exists has side effects (also known as adverse events).

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-23-2001, 09:53 PM   #5
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

i keep hearing that name... just couldnt place it here where it is used...

Long time sis!

anyways, what is the point if they make it not over the counter/ does this mean that this substance is caused by specific reactions in a being? or rather, a condition?

if they make it a prescripition drug, it means that most peeps are not prone to the side effects, or thats the docs job..

------------------

Yukishiro Tomoe
Old 06-24-2001, 05:35 AM   #6
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelic:
Those big, bad, evil drug companies that make products that save lives every day.

Yeah, Gaelic, but they're not in it to save lives. Like every other business out there, they do it to make a profit. Saving lives can be used to make a profit - if it couldn't, I doubt anyone would bother.
Also, the drug in question is a decongestant - i.e. it alleviates the effects of the common cold or hayfever/sinus allergies. Not life threatening conditions. Thalidomide was prescribed to pregnant women to relieve the symptoms of morning sickness, even though it had been shown in tests to cause birth deformities. This was not done to save lives.

I am always careful about taking any medications at all - as I do have adverse reactions to a great many drugs - including all non-steroid anti-inflammatories, aspirin, penicillin, codeine, and a whole range of other pain killers and antibiotics! I don't take anything that isn't absolutely necessary, and avoid the listed products anyway.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 06-24-2001, 05:56 AM   #7
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

They still use Thalidimide in the USA, but as an antineoplastic, not as an antiemetic.

The problem with Phenylpropanolamine is usually that people take four or five a day trying to get an upper effect. This is the same problem that caused the pull of pure Ephedrine off the shelves, and why Primatine Mist isn't good for supermodel's sisters (a whole bottle at a time).

No one assumes personal responsibility anymore it seems. And if you're on a dozen prescription medications, please consult your doctor before adding pills at your leisure. Drug interactions rather than the drug itself are usually the problem- even GRAPEFRUIT JUICE can interfere with many meds, and is even forbidden to be served in my hopital.
Old 06-24-2001, 09:26 AM   #8
Gaelic
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Zateel:
They still use Thalidimide in the USA, but as an antineoplastic, not as an antiemetic.

The problem with Phenylpropanolamine is usually that people take four or five a day trying to get an upper effect. This is the same problem that caused the pull of pure Ephedrine off the shelves, and why Primatine Mist isn't good for supermodel's sisters (a whole bottle at a time).

No one assumes personal responsibility anymore it seems. And if you're on a dozen prescription medications, please consult your doctor before adding pills at your leisure. Drug interactions rather than the drug itself are usually the problem- even GRAPEFRUIT JUICE can interfere with many meds, and is even forbidden to be served in my hopital.
Exactly. The doctor and the pharmacist have the responsibility to avoid hazards and patients have the responsibility to be educated about their own treatment.

Drug companies are in it for the money, but they are not out there trying to screw people up. Especially not in the lawsuit-happy and over-lawyered society in which we live.

------------------
Gaelic