Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2008, 06:24 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Laughing Out Loud Who here is musically inclined?

When Bungleau mentioned to me the other night that he was going to band practice, I wondered who else here is part of a band, or plays an instrument?
I know Yorick is also part of a band.

I don't know whether they play instruments, or sing, or even both. I believe that music is another commonality in all societies, so I thought I would ask:
Who here is musically talented/gifted? What do you play, or sing and perhaps you could add in some pics or video clips if possible.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Default Re: Who here is musically inclined?

Nope, not me.
I used to play the classical guitar in my uni days... or at least tried to, lol.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

I own a guitar and a keyboard. Both of 'em are dusty and ignored. I tried them, got frustrated at my lack of progress/ability, & set them down. Every 6-9 months I'll repeat the pattern.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I started playing the recorder until I was about 12, then took up acoustic guitar, then moved on to playing a five string bass, which is the only one I still play regularly. Still have all my instruments though.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I know Yorick sings, and is damn good at it, having won Australia's Star Search for male vocalist back in his youth (sneaking in to toot his horn before he gets a chance to).

In those Sprite commercials with the basketball court turned swimming pool, he's the person singing "Falling Away", the music behind it all. I've also got several of his CDs, and they are pleasing to listen to, whether for enjoyment or retrospection. We're not talking Metallica, but we're not talking the Wiggles, either

Me, I played violin for a couple of years as a kid, then tried clarinet, where the best I could do was a rancid squeak. Moved to drums/percussion in my early teens, and I've enjoyed that ever since. Kudos to my drum teacher who, when I said I wanted to be a rock drummer (and get chicks!), said, "Okay. We'll work on that. Along the way, take a look at some of this jazz stuff." Jazz music is living breathing beauty in action

Played around a bit with piano and a couple of other things, but nothing realistic.

*edit* forgot to mention that I currently play drums in one of our worship bands at church, and have for about five or six years. Let's just say that for a guy raised on KISS and Ted Nugent, praise songs on a Sunday morning are a wee bit of a shift
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.

Last edited by Bungleau; 09-18-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I play bass guitar. Back in the time I was influenced by Flear, Pastorius and Chris Squire I'd play in a rockband playing our own songs which were according to my brother a lot like the Who in structure and sound. Anyway, we weren't very good at being tight, making lots of mistakes.

After that band fell to pieces due to us going different ways in our lives, it was the end of high school for us, I haven't played music in a band for a couple of years. I have greatly improved my ability however, but just don't have the time to fit in another band. My influences nowadays are King Crimson as a whole, Pastorius of course, and all jazz that I can get my hands on, including the very entertaining Peter Brötzmann and consorts.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
I know Yorick sings, and is damn good at it, having won Australia's Star Search for male vocalist back in his youth (sneaking in to toot his horn before he gets a chance to).

In those Sprite commercials with the basketball court turned swimming pool, he's the person singing "Falling Away", the music behind it all. I've also got several of his CDs, and they are pleasing to listen to, whether for enjoyment or retrospection. We're not talking Metallica, but we're not talking the Wiggles, either

Me, I played violin for a couple of years as a kid, then tried clarinet, where the best I could do was a rancid squeak. Moved to drums/percussion in my early teens, and I've enjoyed that ever since. Kudos to my drum teacher who, when I said I wanted to be a rock drummer (and get chicks!), said, "Okay. We'll work on that. Along the way, take a look at some of this jazz stuff." Jazz music is living breathing beauty in action

Played around a bit with piano and a couple of other things, but nothing realistic.

*edit* forgot to mention that I currently play drums in one of our worship bands at church, and have for about five or six years. Let's just say that for a guy raised on KISS and Ted Nugent, praise songs on a Sunday morning are a wee bit of a shift
What about the band thing you mentioned? Are you playing professionally as well?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

That was the church band... I guess you could call it semi-professionally, since we do perform regularly, but there's no financial compensation involved. At least, not beyond the occasional pizza dinner

I did try a stint with the guitarist in our church band, but it didn't work out. My travel schedule is very unpredictable, which makes it hard to schedule things like practices and performances. One of these days, though, if I slow down the travel a bit...
-+-+-+
Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Hey, that's very cool! Are the songs primarily from a hymnal? We use a mix of both, hymnal stuff and some of the newer stuff. I kinda prefer the old, only because I know it better.

The extent of my musical contribution is, running the sound board on Sundays! ..and the occasional choir thing at church: (need others to drown me out!).
Old 09-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

We occasionally do hymnal songs, but try more contemporary things. Third Day, Michael W Smith, Newsboys, Bebo Norman... a lot of the things you'll see on the WOW Hits compilation CDs or hear on Christian pop radio.
-+-+-+