Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 02-18-2002, 07:05 PM   #1
Nordoki
Dungeon Master

For those of you who have tried all, or at least considered all of the spells available, which one do you feel is the most useless or least used?
Old 02-18-2002, 10:42 PM   #2
Rolla ZE
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Itching Skin is pretty useless
Rolla ZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 10:53 PM   #3
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

NOOOO, it's not I got it early in the game, and it really helped me deal with those Higardi gangsters. They are irritated easily, and it cut down the damage to around 50%, which made my 2 fighters survive long enough...

Some spells get pretty much useless in the end, e.g. Sleep, but that one is definitely worth its money in the beginning.

BUT: You know what I really hate? Blinding Flash. If you just want to get away, that's a very nice spell, but usually I want to wax these critters, and it's just annoying to collect one after another, when they retreat blinded. That's the biggest disadvantage of my gadgeteers omnigun, too....

Never forget your towel, cheers
Philipp
Old 02-18-2002, 11:18 PM   #4
Lok
Elite Waterdeep Guard

blinding flash is *so* useful when playing a solo faerie ninja. [img]smile.gif[/img]

on the other hand, i found lightning for my priest to be pretty useless as you never get to build up your fire realm for your priest anyway.

and eye for an eye is pretty useless too .. monsters have usually high resistance for their own spells. hate it when _they_ cast eye for an eye though!
Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 05:12 AM   #5
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

Set Portal is the most useless spell (if you do not have Return Portal )

Otherwise I find Firestorm pretty useless. It is a level 6 spell, but by the time you can cast it it hardly ever does more than 7-8 damage per round.

At low level I dislike Terror. I hate when creatures flee and I have to run after them or lose the EXP.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 06:29 AM   #6
Mage_77
Manshoon

I gotta agree with Warhammer. Firestorm is the most useless. Acid bomb is better dmg and its an earlier level spell Vs. Firestorm, not to mention water realm is extremely easier to get into high skill with compared to fire realm.

Other spells i find i "never" use are Insanity & Pandemonium.

I prefer using the pandemonium powders over the spell as it free's up a spell my bishop can cast while another char with a cursed weapon can use the powder a few turns before the bishop could.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:46 AM   #7
MaskedFrog
Drow Warrior

Personally I have to say Light is the most useless spell. Yes, I know you can use it to pump your fire realm but then you stand out like a christmas tree and cannot sneak past the enemies.

Insanity and Pandemonium are extremely useful. Insanity made the beginning of the game much easier. It also had the added advantage that the monsters did not run away and would attack each other. Pandemonium was useful late game when insanity did not seem to work anymore.

I agree with Firestorm. I used it a few times and found that the minimal damage it does is not worth it compared to the hundreds of hit points the monsters have.

As a second choice I would have to choose Hypnotic Lure. I tried using it once then never bothered anymore.
MaskedFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:38 AM   #8
Rolla ZE
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Insane and pandemonium are some of the most useful spells. In the battle with the sorceress queen my bard played the chaos drone (pandemonium) and all 6 cultists went insane and the queen became scared. After that killing them was easy, that one spell changed the entire course of the battle.
Rolla ZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:45 AM   #9
Mage_77
Manshoon

Pandemonium & Insanity are good but i just found i never cast them because i would rather have one of my characters throw a "pandemonium powder" several turns before my bishops got a turn to actually cast the "spell" itself. Powder's seem to have less chance to not affect something compared to the spells also.

Also i gotta agree with Masked that light is another thats not too great. Ive found though that some spells are simply situational.

Superman, Razorcloak, Light, Ring of Fire all come to mind. Only time i use any of those would be either:

a) In a dungeon (light makes a good difference in what you can see.
b) In a fight like say when you take out the Don at level 8-11.

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Mage_77 ]

Old 02-19-2002, 09:52 AM   #10
Davros
Takhisis Follower

What an easy question - the most useless spell in the game is......

SLOW .

What with combat taking soooooo loooooong at times, this spell is just what you need (NOT). Handier than a pause button - need a quick sandwich or a loo break - cast slow in the first round on a large group. Coma back in 15 mins to see if it's your turn yet.