Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 02-05-2002, 11:31 AM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

Have you noticed that the creators of the BG series have used the name Sendai two times? I don't visit these forums too often, so I don't know if this topic has been here before. I recently bought BG1 & TotSC, and I met a warrior from Amn named Sendai. As many of you know, Sendai is a Bhaalchild which you have to defeat in ToB as well.. Maybe there's connection, but then again, I see conspiracies everywhere! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:05 PM   #2
Angel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

-giggles- silly them.. they've used so many names again and again.. unavoidable I guess
Old 02-05-2002, 01:24 PM   #3
Alardon Mireldarn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The whole game is on big conspiracy.

If U kill that Sendai in Baldur's Gate maybe U dont have to play ToB trough.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:39 PM   #4
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Some of Bodhi's vampires in SoA have the same names as a couple of Davaorn's henchmen/women. They also used a lot of names of regulars at the Black Isle-message boards, where I used to lurk for a while. A few folks I've seen there, before the games came out, are Bodhi and Gromnir Il Khan. Seems like the folks at Bio aren't very good at coming up with names.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 02:00 PM   #5
Darkman

quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:
...They also used a lot of names of regulars at the Black Isle-message boards, where I used to lurk for a while. A few folks I've seen there, before the games came out, are Bodhi and Gromnir Il Khan. Seems like the folks at Bio aren't very good at coming up with names.

Hehe, Blizzard did the same thing with Diablo 2 (Jarulf, Flux, Charsi, and a few others). I wonder if it's just lack of creativity, or maybe they are rewarding their fan community by using a few of their names in the game?
Old 02-06-2002, 12:26 AM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I've also seen a few other names.....One of the (wrong) passwords for entering the Thieves Guild in BG city is "Bodi," and the spider-woman in the Cloakwood says "I am cursssed. The archmage, Jon Icarus, made me this was for indignities done to him and his wife by me." Sure, the spelling's wrong, but the derivation is clearly there.

Dradeel also pops up in BG1, even without ToSC. Beat the Cloakwood mines and you'll hear him, but you won't see him.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:03 AM   #7
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
(...) and the spider-woman in the Cloakwood says "I am cursssed. The archmage, Jon Icarus, made me this was for indignities done to him and his wife by me." Sure, the spelling's wrong, but the derivation is clearly there. (...)

Actually, that was an intentional bit of foreshadowing to SoA. Jon Icarus was the name they initially intended for Jon Irenicus. They changed it later to remove the similarity with the Icarus from Greek myth.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:51 PM   #8
Tancred
White Dragon

So who was this wife, then?

Also note that Prism the artist - just before his death - names the woman whose likeness he has placed in stone as "Ellesime". Hmmmmm.
Old 02-07-2002, 04:32 AM   #9
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Yep, Prism was talking about Ellesime the Elven Queen.

Possible minor SoA story-spoiler
>As for Irenicus' wife - or at least his lover: you'll know if you've played SoA, that very same Ellesime. I don't think they were actually married, but that's just a minor inconsistency due to the fact that the story for SoA was obviously not fully written when they put the Spider-Woman in BG1.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:56 PM   #10
Karli
Welcomed New User

Yeah, In games as in real life.

There are a lot of people named John.

I think more than two!

Karli