Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2002, 11:06 PM   #11
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
Realisticly, yes it is. There will always be loss of human life. There will always be war, and there will always misery.

Not the most optomistic look at life but its true.

If I remember correctly Moni, you wear a christain? You even posted a thread on micarals a long while ago. You told a story about walking to the hosptial with a few broken ribs I think it included, and had a relgious meaning to it. Maybe it wanst you, but if it was, you should have learned that there will always be war on earth. Well most the time anyway.
Yes, you remember correctly and I still am a Christian...my first post in this thread accepts the fact that war has been around for as long as man...my point there was that with a change of attitude on everyone's part (including the way we "accept" its existence) things could be different.
[img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: It was more than just a few broken ribs Not that I expect people to remember, but my sternum was fractured, my rib cage crushed and broken away from one side of my spine...a punctured lung, lacerated liver, ruptured stomach, ruptured sinuses, broken teeth and more...without an inch of broken skin...I was told I should have arrived at the hospital on a stretcher DOA...the Dr. even went to get proof that I had walked in on my own two feet and alone. [img]smile.gif[/img]

My life is worth everything to me...and so is everyone else's be they friend, or be they "enemy". [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-20-2002, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 09-21-2002, 12:32 AM   #12
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Moni if you were around 17 or 18 yrs old I'd have my eye on you right now, but that's just the musings of an 18 yr old guy who hasn't had a girlfriend in his entire life. That's ok one day it will happen, or I'll learn to accept bachelor-hood.

Anyways, time to get back on to the topic of the post. In all honesty the value of life is in the eye of the beholder. I value my life and lives of my friends above all else. I know its not exactly a very good way of looking at things, but I tend to say that if someone endangers my friends, they become resonably expendable. At least, thats the way it works out in my mindp; in all honesty I wouldn't be capable of knowingly taking a human life. Some people place THINGS on a higher level of value than life, and the result is crime and war. These things are for the time (however long it lasts: years, decades, eons, till time ends) constantly a threat.. . . . .

(Oh crud. . this is what I get for posting at midnight. I just completely lost my train of thought. Oh well, perhaps it's for the better; it probably would have turned into some kind of I-can-do-no-wrong sermony kinds of speaches.)

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-21-2002, 01:36 AM   #13
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
quote:
Realisticly, yes it is. There will always be loss of human life. There will always be war, and there will always misery.

Not the most optomistic look at life but its true.

If I remember correctly Moni, you wear a christain? You even posted a thread on micarals a long while ago. You told a story about walking to the hosptial with a few broken ribs I think it included, and had a relgious meaning to it. Maybe it wanst you, but if it was, you should have learned that there will always be war on earth. Well most the time anyway.
Yes, you remember correctly and I still am a Christian...my first post in this thread accepts the fact that war has been around for as long as man...my point there was that with a change of attitude on everyone's part (including the way we "accept" its existence) things could be different.
[img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: It was more than just a few broken ribs Not that I expect people to remember, but my sternum was fractured, my rib cage crushed and broken away from one side of my spine...a punctured lung, lacerated liver, ruptured stomach, ruptured sinuses, broken teeth and more...without an inch of broken skin...I was told I should have arrived at the hospital on a stretcher DOA...the Dr. even went to get proof that I had walked in on my own two feet and alone. [img]smile.gif[/img]

My life is worth everything to me...and so is everyone else's be they friend, or be they "enemy". [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Yeah I agree, I am not saying we shouldnt try and do something for peace. But war is inevitable, unfourtently. Things could be diffrent yeah. A lot of lives could be saved.

But alot of lifes will be lost no mater what we, as humans, can/will do.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 09-21-2002, 02:10 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Zartan

Everyone who decides to discredit indiscriminate killing counts towards achieving that end of war. I believe the absolution of war is a possibility for humanity, a step in our evolution. Collectively, We humans have had a long time to develop our killing instincts and fearful emotions, it takes time to evolve. Evolution correlates to the individual people that strive to have a "war-less" society now. The idea can only grow. Today, our species growing connectivness and interdependency lend great fuel to burn away the root causes of war.

It reminds me of the time I saw a shipping crate labeled "World peace through world trade". I thought it was ironic at the time of the WTO riots in seattle but appreciate it even more now.

Sadly, So long as people in power and those that put them there accept indiscriminate killing for a cause, we will have militarism and terrorism.

That can be redeemed by the fact that we humans want war way less now than even 100 years ago. Maybe we are growing up but its hard to see it clearly through the clouds of war and fear?
Old 09-21-2002, 05:10 AM   #15
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Has it ever occured to anti-war zealots that some people might actually be glad and proud to die for the country/homeland/cause/whatever.

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying a inoccent jew or palastinien walking down the street getting killed is a good thing. Nor am I saying that everyone should die for a country/homeland/cause/whatever.

But do you really think the Tali Ban members that got killed in Afghanatan wear afraid and shamed to die?

I think not.

Same with most the other things you mentioned.
This has nothing to do with "warriors".

And those people who are "glad and proud" to die for their "whatever" can go and beat the ever lovin' crap out of each other and leave the rest of us alone. I was more concerned by what the war-zealots call "collateral damage".

Are you labeling me a anti-war zealot? If you are my friend, then you are wrong. Sometimes war is necessary, when you are attacked or threatened. I fully supported Papa George Bush when he had Saddam removed from Kuwait.

But Baby George Bush seems a little to keen to go on a BIG adventure in the sandbox of Iraq. I disagree with those who advocate a preemptive strike against Iraq and I can say it...it's my opinion.

Now Bush wants to be able to attack any nation who tries to gather enough power to be stronger than the good old USA.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/...ity/index.html

King of the hill! The world's greatest nation is here to stay!

Mark
Old 09-21-2002, 06:24 AM   #16
Hexa
The Magister

Question= What is Life Worth?

Answer= 4 years

I just saw another case in which a murderer is being set free after only 4 years in jail. Well I guess the law answered the question huh?@

A Human life is worth 4 years ... sad sad sad
Old 09-21-2002, 06:42 AM   #17
Neb
Account deleted by Request

In the case of murderer's and rapists I fully support Eye For An Eye punishment. Kill the killers and leave the rapists with permanent mental scars in the most horrible fashion imaginable.

Your life is worth as much as you make it worth. Spend it harming others and you will from my point of view be worth less than a grain of dust. Spend it helping others and trying to be the best person you can be, and you will be worth more than anything material in my opinion.

As for all of this war.... Sometimes it's necessary. I agreed that the US had to strike back against the Al Qaeda and attack Afghanistan, no problem there. I agree that Saddam needed to be removed from Kuwait, no problem there. But now the US wants to attack Iraq for not letting inspectors take a look. Okay, I can accept that. But now when Saddam WILL let inspectors take a look they want to attack anyway. No, I can simply not agree with that.

And even after attacking Afghanistan they refuse to change some of the policies that make people hate them. That is the most arrogant piece of "We know all, we are best, we are always right." BS I have ever heard. Next time the US gets attacked I will have sympathy for those that die, but not for the government or the country itself. The people that attack you aren't just religious fanatics, they have a reason why they're willing to believe that the US is the Devil's creation and must be destroyed. Sure, they're wrong, but at the bottom of every lie, myth and tale there is a grain of truth.....
Old 09-21-2002, 08:19 AM   #18
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

One thing that irretating me to be insane soon is that DARN war in the middle east can they NEWER stop?? I have heard about this since i was a child and still they cant live in peace when i see it on the news i switch chanel on the tv or i turn it of becuse of that stupid war grrrrrr.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:29 AM   #19
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

do not forget china
Old 09-21-2002, 08:31 AM   #20
skywalker
Banned User

I agree Megabot. Neither side seems to care when the innocents get killed. The longer the fight goes on, the less I see that either side will stop the violence. I can't imagine the Israeli or Palestinian people ever living in peace.

Mark

[ 09-21-2002, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: skywalker ]