Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-14-2000, 05:11 PM   #1
Archimedes
Welcomed New User

This is only for thos epeople who have or are playing both games. How would you compare them? What aspects of BGII did you like more? What aspects of W&W did you like more. Which areas did one game flub it where the other one didn't. Which, overall, is the better game. What kind of experience was it with each of them?
Old 11-14-2000, 05:13 PM   #2
Archimedes
Welcomed New User

Note that the above message would have been edited to correct the glaringly annoying and obvious spelling errors if this board had an editing feature.

Alas.
Old 11-14-2000, 05:39 PM   #3
Nads

Well, I've finished BG2 and am about half way through W&W and I don't think there is any comparison really. BG2 actually works! Not only that but it isn't littered with glaringly silly design features like not being able to use potions on the character whose carrying them! And not making you reset your spells everytime you go into a town. I'm obviously enjoying W&W to some degree as I wouldn't still be playing but the two games are in different leagues, as you Americans say. W&W is like a game made by hobbyists as opposed to a professional job like BG2.

Nads

Old 11-14-2000, 05:51 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Archimedes -

For you http://www.mibcr.org/library%20of%20...poLicense.html I keep mine close at hand just in case anyone should try to complain when all I'm trying to do is be helpful or ask interesting questions!

Haven't played Baldur's Gate - heard that character development was really limited and said "not interested". Did you enjoy it?

Wyv
Old 11-14-2000, 05:58 PM   #5
Nads

Well, yes! When you say 'character development is limited' what do you mean. The game obeys the rules of AD&D mostly so whatever limitations it has come from those rules. Frankly my favourite RPG's are the really over the top Japanese PSX games like Grandia and Alundra 2 that have masses of character development and item modification stuff. More PC RPG's should be made like that.

Old 11-14-2000, 06:12 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I was told that eventually the characters reach the top and can develop no further and that often they would reach that level before the game is over. True??

Wyv
Old 11-14-2000, 06:18 PM   #7
Nads

Yes, there is an experience point cap but it doesn't make the game any less enjoyable, in fact its there to make the game better. What's the fun in beating the bad guy at the end so easily that there's no challenge? With a game as big as BG2 it would be easy to make you characters too powerful and thereby unbalance the game. However if you just can't stand the idea of exp caps it's easy enough to get around. Most BG2 sites have a tiny little file that you copy into one of the BG2 directories and it removes the exp point cap and then you'll see that the game actually suports higher level characters with all the correct level up gains so it's not really an issue. I would definately advise getting BG2! I thought it was one of the best PC RPG's that I've played.

Old 11-14-2000, 07:59 PM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks very much, Nads!!

After my initial impression I just never gave the game another thought and here I may have been missing a lot of fun! I|APOREoll: Comparing Baldur's Gate II to Wizards and Warriors
Old 11-15-2000, 03:34 PM   #9
Kate
Welcomed New User

The experience cap thing in Baldurs Gate was put there so that when they released the next bit (Tales of the Sword Coast) it would still be challenging and not a walk-over. In TOTSC you take your original characters and go do some more adventuring, the experience cap thing is then put at a higher level.
I finished Baldurs Gate, didn't get far with TOTSC, started Icewind Dale and BGII, haven't got far with any of them, because I was playing Diablo II at the time and now W&W.
Frankly I think the BG series of games are far better, (And don't include any bloody Amazoni plants!) but in a different way to W&W. At least you don't fall down ladders and take damage all the time. (They tend to use stairs). The bugs in the original game were largely sorted out with patches. (Hint hint!)
Oh, I'm just being picky, both games have their merits.
My main problem is that their is no multi-player option in W&W, you see we have 2 networked computers at home and we like to play multiplayer games together - that way at least we get to talk to each other occasionally!
(The other problem of course is, so many games, so little time!)
Old 11-18-2000, 11:46 AM   #10
gandalf

Just thought I'd give my support to Nads on this issue; there is absolutely no way you can compare BGII with W&W, sure W&W is a fun game, why else would I be sitting here checking out this board, but the effort put into developing BGII exceeds W&W by lightyears, and that's what makes BGII the game that W&W will never be - too many little annoying features(or lack of...), clumsy, unintuitive interface, silly save/load system, economical "loopholes"(and many at that), unbalanced gameplay(read: amazoni mancatchers - why??; are they fun - anybody ?)and last but not least humongous loadtimes compared to BGII, even with maximum installation.
I like the game sure, but like so many others before it, it could have been a different and so much better game had they not pushed the release date.
Btw I finished BGII and I'm halfway through W&W - and getting pretty fed up with its little glitches.

Just a little half sleepy burp in between pipe-puffs from the old white one - take care