Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-02-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
Animal
Gold Dragon

The last topic on that lord of the rings spoof, crap speak, made me feel old.

It's the new language of the internet? What about the old language? And who consulted us old timers?

I remember the days long before the internet was even an idea. The Vic-20, or the TRS-80. Back then, 3.5KB or RAM was more than anybody would ever need, and a 8" floppy drive or a cassette drive was a luxury. Hard drives that stored a whopping 5MB were only needed by big corporate mainframes. You want to print something, well then you'd better wait the 10mins it took your Dot Matrix printer to finish a page. How about a video card? A what?

And now I wake up and find that there is a whole new language on the internet.

Today, I feel old. Tomorrow, I'll feel older.

But at least I still know how to do long division on paper.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Chillax...no one actually talks like that . And if people actually do talk like that, then um...wow, that's totally messed up. I just turned 19 not too long ago, so trust me, people don't talk like that...not really

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 07-02-2004, 09:35 PM   #3
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

No worries Animal, I know a very small portion of people that talk like that, and when I say that, I mean one person. But now you're making me feel old too. Aye, I remember the early days when I first got me computer, twas over five years ago and lord, how much pestering it took to make my parents get me one. Took so very long, I won't mention how long, but so long just to get a dial up connection running, which we can now do in less than 5 minutes. Where's the challenge?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:37 PM   #4
Animal
Gold Dragon

Dial up connection? Huh?

Oh, you must mean the 300baud days of BBS. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ignore it. I do. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anytime I see anyone typing like that, I automatically ignore it and move on...
It's silly, noobish stuff.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 07-02-2004, 09:47 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
Dial up connection? Huh?

[img]smile.gif[/img] Before I ran this website, I ran a BBS for 4 years using WWIV. It was also called The Great Escape (TGE for short). Even back then, I had a RPG message board [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] and ran EscapeNET (a WWIV Network). Fun days indeed!

I was the first board with a USR 14.4 Modem!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 07-02-2004, 09:53 PM   #7
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Dial up connection? Huh?

Aye, and those days were hard too. Even the computer literate people and the guys that ran computer shops couldn't help us figure out how to connect to the internet. That was a hard six months, let me tell you.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:53 PM   #8
Animal
Gold Dragon

Zork anyone?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:55 PM   #9
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
quote:
Dial up connection? Huh?

Aye, and those days were hard too. Even the computer literate people and the guys that ran computer shops couldn't help us figure out how to connect to the internet. That was a hard six months, let me tell you. [/QUOTE]Internet? No, no, no. Back then there was no internet. You had to tell your modem what number to dial for the specific BBS you wanted to connect to.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:57 PM   #10
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
quote:
Dial up connection? Huh?

Aye, and those days were hard too. Even the computer literate people and the guys that ran computer shops couldn't help us figure out how to connect to the internet. That was a hard six months, let me tell you. [/QUOTE]Internet? No, no, no. Back then there was no internet. You had to tell your modem what number to dial for the specific BBS you wanted to connect to. [/QUOTE]*Thinks back*

Hmmm, well, my mind is a bit fuzzy on that area because my dad did handle most of it. I'll have to check with him.

[ 07-02-2004, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]