Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2001, 11:28 PM   #1
malik
Welcomed New User

Ive recently purchased windows xp and since then the game animations(specifically character movements)have slowed considerably. Note: The players move well on their own, but not as a group. Has anyone else experienced this problem? What can i do to correct flaw?
Old 12-09-2001, 11:37 PM   #2
Aurican
Elminster

What kind of computer are you running?
Aurican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 11:39 PM   #3
malik
Welcomed New User

Im running a DELL cpu.Any ideas?
Old 12-10-2001, 12:13 AM   #4
Aurican
Elminster

No, I mean what speed processor? Vid cards? System specs?
Old 12-10-2001, 01:18 AM   #5
Gregorius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had the same slow behavior with Win XP on a relatively fast machine. There is a way to tell XP that to treat the program as though it is running on a previous operating system. Than fixed the problem for me. Trouble is, I can't recall the exact dialogue box I used to do it Anybody on the forum recall the magic buttons? I will go back and do some research, but I wanted to tell you that there is hope.
Gregorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 06:04 AM   #6
Red Dragon Slayer
Dungeon Master

weird I have the exact same problem on ME...
Red Dragon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 12:36 PM   #7
Aurican
Elminster

I have window XP on a 1.4 gHz w/ a Geforce 64 card and have no problems. It runs very smoothly. The only thing I can say is if you have problems you might need to DL the current drivers for your system. Sorry about the problems, but you can't blame XP as I have it and it works.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:53 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Remember that XP uses the NT kernel for the most part - drivers that are optimised for win 9x will not neccaserily function at all under XP, and any that do will experience performance degradation.

Sorry to get all techincal on you, but go to the manufacturers web sites and download XP drivers for all your hardware.

You should be able to go into my computer -> control panel -> system and get the manufacturers name from in there, although your manufacturer should (read "might") put the manuals in the box. Just one of the reasons I prefer to build my own.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:01 PM   #9
Xs iv
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would say andrewas was right.
I had same problem on XP and there was a huge difference in game speed just changing that graphics card driver.
good luck.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:07 PM   #10
Gregorius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK...here's one way to deal with older games in XP. The excerpt below is copied directly from Win XP Help. I entered "Old Games" to retrieve it from the search. It worked for me!

To set the compatibility properties for a program manually
Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the Start menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.
Click the Compatibility tab, and change the compatibility settings for your program.
Notes

The Compatibility tab is only available for programs installed on your hard drive. Although you can run the Program Compatibility Wizard on programs or setup files on a CD-ROM or floppy disk, your changes will not remain in effect after you close the program.
For more information about an option on the Compatibility tab, right-click the option and then click What's This.
To set the compatibility properties for a program manually
Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the Start menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.
Gregorius is offline   Reply With Quote