Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2001, 12:11 PM   #1
KingAxis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Man, someone over at Black Isle really dropped the ball by excluding random walkthrough area's in BG2 and the expansion packs. That was possibly the coolest thing about BG1. There were so many and filled with so many random encounters. Also, the art and music went well with the scene. I loved clearing out those huge area's. I wish they had not of taken them away....
KingAxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 01:20 PM   #2
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

you got that right.but of course i was annoyed with all the dream sequences.i felt it slowed things down.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 08:52 AM   #3
bavvo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I liked the dream sequences, especially seeing candlekeep again, but I wish they'd written them to play straight through so you didn't have to keep hitting the keyboard, as that spoils the atmosphere a bit.
bavvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 05:08 AM   #4
dex_man
Dungeon Master

although i havent gotten far in BG2 because of problems transfering my character but i started a character from scratch to c wat it was like and i have to say im a bit disapointed, the characters are a tad to small and look ugly nowhere near as nice as the BG ones do, i can only hope tht things get better
dex_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 06:20 AM   #5
Red Dragon Slayer
Dungeon Master

Actually you CAN play in the same resolution as BGI (640x400)
Red Dragon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 10:48 AM   #6
Debaser

quote:
Originally posted by dex_man:
although i havent gotten far in BG2 because of problems transfering my character but i started a character from scratch to c wat it was like and i have to say im a bit disapointed, the characters are a tad to small and look ugly nowhere near as nice as the BG ones do, i can only hope tht things get better

yeah, i've always thought that the BGI characters looked better in both the paper dolls and on the normal screen. BG II does have better background and setting graphics, though....
Old 12-10-2001, 03:45 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Speaking of comparisons in the BG series, I've noticed a few links between them:

The obvious one is Lord Foreshadow--he talks about Amn and specifically the city of Athkatla, and how it is "quite likely to be popular in the near future." Oh yes, very popular. One of his other responses deals with the city of Neverwinter and how it, too, will be popular.

Dradeel is the name of a mage who only appears in Tales of the Sword Coast, right? Wrong. You don't actually SEE him in BG1 without ToSC, but he is there--when you leave the Cloakwood Mines, a disembodied voice, going by the name of Dradeel, gives you a recap of what you've just done (as if you needed it).

There are also some hints that might not be hints, due to spelling differences: I haven't played BG2, so I don't know who Bhodi (Bodhi?) is--but I do know that when you enter the Thieves Guild in BG1, 'Bodi' is one of the passwords.

In a map screen with a ton of Spiders in it, there's a cave or nest that's home to a woman named Cuchol. When you ask her about herself (why she's so fat & ugly), she says, "I am cursssed. The powerful mage Jon Icarus made me this way for indignities done to him and his wife by me. I loved Jon, but now I hate him." Does this sound like Jon Irenicus to you?