Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2001, 08:54 PM   #11
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Hi Epona,

If you are going to buy a new sound card, I would recommend a Sound Blaster
Values/live, X-gammer or the Platnium. I have the values and when I had my
233 AMD w voodoo3 2000 vid. this sest up allowed me to play most games that
require a 500 megahrtz processor or more. Games like Quake III arena ran
without a hitch. Baldurs Gate, Diablo II they all ran well because the card could process the info. My card is 3 yrs old now and I wouldnt trade it.

There are many cards out there and this is only my suggestion. Good luck,
I was just recently there for other reasons when i upgraded my computer
this year.

------------------
The Ruby Rouge of the ALSB
Official Slayer of Pest's in Cloudy's Kitchen
Blessed is the Warlock
Old 10-07-2001, 09:15 PM   #12
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Well, at least you have a great dad! What more could you need?

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-07-2001, 09:28 PM   #13
Tiamat
Banned User

thank god for dads.

------------------

I am Tiamat!
Old 10-08-2001, 12:55 AM   #14
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Epona. I am really sorry. I feel bad about the joke that I made in the first thread you posted about working on your computer.

------------------
Order of the Holy Flame
Member of Clan HADB
Laughing Hyena
Clan Illuminati

Old 10-08-2001, 04:44 AM   #15
Sir_Tainly

Epona, just a suggestion but make sure you have the latest Bios on the mobo, I havd trouble with my KT7A Raid until I did the flash upgrade, but it runs sweet as a nut ..touch wood

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 10-08-2001, 04:58 AM   #16
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

OHHH! Bad luck Epona!!! :S

Well if you are going to have to buy a new soundcard (´hopes that Sir Tainly´s advice will help) Creative cards are perfect solutions. They run with most machines and mothercards. They might not always be as good, but they do function..

I hope things will work out though!!

------------------

Howling to the moon, cause this world seems so far away..
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 10-08-2001, 08:07 AM   #17
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
Epona, just a suggestion but make sure you have the latest Bios on the mobo, I havd trouble with my KT7A Raid until I did the flash upgrade, but it runs sweet as a nut ..touch wood

I have the latest BIOS. I think it's that the chipsets are incompatible. Unfortunately Aureal went out of business, so no tech support on my existing soundcard. Can't e-mail ABIT - just get undeliverable when I try to contact their technical support! What soundcard do you use? Did you have to fiddle at all to get it to work?
Just wanna make sure that if I buy a new one it's going to work OK.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-08-2001, 08:50 AM   #18
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

See my post abona.
I have used Creatives soundcards on alot of different motherboards and have had no problems at all..The new Audigy card is said to be great!

------------------

Howling to the moon, cause this world seems so far away..
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 10-08-2001, 09:02 AM   #19
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
See my post abona.
I have used Creatives soundcards on alot of different motherboards and have had no problems at all..The new Audigy card is said to be great!

Thanks Wolfgir! I will look at Creative Labs soundcards. I know that some of these also have problems with my mobo, incl. the Audigy, which is why I was interested in which soundcard Sir T was using with his (we have same mobo).
Seems it is a problem with IRQ sharing/allocation (eyes glaze over at this point) even with SB16 emulation disabled (SB16 thinks it is an ISA card so is not expecting shared IRQ).

Also from Sir T I would be interested to know which PCI slot you have your soundcard in? What version is your BIOS (I'm sure I have the latest, but will double check). Do you have Via 4-in-1 installed? And Finally (phew) have you reallocated IRQs? Cheers - but answers in words of no more than one syllable please!!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-08-2001, 09:11 AM   #20
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Thanks Wolfgir! I will look at Creative Labs soundcards. I know that some of these also have problems with my mobo, incl. the Audigy, which is why I was interested in which soundcard Sir T was using with his (we have same mobo).
Seems it is a problem with IRQ sharing/allocation (eyes glaze over at this point) even with SB16 emulation disabled (SB16 thinks it is an ISA card so is not expecting shared IRQ).

Also from Sir T I would be interested to know which PCI slot you have your soundcard in? What version is your BIOS (I'm sure I have the latest, but will double check). Do you have Via 4-in-1 installed? And Finally (phew) have you reallocated IRQs? Cheers - but answers in words of no more than one syllable please!!

ok my soundcard is the SB live 5.1,

not sure which PCI slot its in, off the top off my head its towards the right looking from the back of the board.

BIOS is the one from April ish

no IRQ reallocation

Via 4 in 1? not sure is this one of the progs on the CD

I'll check better tonight when i'm at home

Regards

Simon

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger