Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2001, 09:50 AM   #31
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

so okay lemme get this straight...

what exists does not exist, and what does not exist exists... A. it aint stopping there. as stated, it is still non-existent because it exists, and therefore it does not exist coz it exists.

in essence, the world goes round and round and round... period.

------------------

I...AM...BAHAMUT
Old 03-12-2001, 11:44 AM   #32
Vicotnik
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Griever:
if we could learn to bend space, therefore it means that we can do almost anything... if we learn how to bend space, we would be in deep shit. people usually dont take responsibility with their actions... if bending space=timetravel, the space time continuum would severely damaged and everyone would alter their pasts... amazing.

Been watching Event Horizon have we? Although that movie was total bullshit all the way through, it was scary as hell and we don't want our lifes to be scary like that do we?

------------------
Vicotnik, archmage of the Holy Flame - Challenge me... and die.
Old 03-12-2001, 01:34 PM   #33
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
so okay lemme get this straight...

what exists does not exist, and what does not exist exists... A. it aint stopping there. as stated, it is still non-existent because it exists, and therefore it does not exist coz it exists.

in essence, the world goes round and round and round... period.

EXACTLY!

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-12-2001, 03:58 PM   #34
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

An interesting fact for all you mathmatical people

Pierre de Fermat lived for 23159 days. What??? Why is this an interesting fact?

Pierre de Fermat, the father of analytical geometry, is also known for his extensive research into Prime Number Theory and he is sometimes referred to as the father of Prime Numbers. So whay you say.

23159 is a prime number! For him to live a prime number of days is quite amazing given the fact that the next prime number of days wasn't until 1 year and 13 days later. Is this an irony of life????

Ok, I said it would be interesting to mathmatical people, but these people find solving equations all day interesting

------------------
Old 03-12-2001, 04:05 PM   #35
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Coincidence or not? Some of you have probably seen this before, but it spooks me everytime I read it

John F. Kennedy/Abraham Lincoln coincidences
-----------------------------------------------
Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters.

Both presidents were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both presidents' wives' lost children both while living in the White House, and after living in the White House.

Mrs. Kennedy advised Lincoln not to go to the theatre and Mrs. Lincoln advised Kennedy not to go to Dallas.

Both were succeeded by Southerners.

Both successors were named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

Abraham Lincoln died in 1865.
Andrew Johnson died in 1875.

John F. Kennedy died in 1963;
Lyndon Johnson died in 1973.

Both Johnsons faced the next election against men whose names began with "G"
(Grant and Goldwater.)

Both successors left the presidency in disgrace without running for reelection.

Both presidents were shot on a Friday.

Both presidents were shot in the head.

Both presidents were shot while seated next to their wife.

Both presidents were assassinated by Southerners.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.
Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by three names, both names contain fifteen letters.

Booth ran from the theater and was caught in a warehouse.
Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theater.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

Lincoln was shot in the Ford theatre and Kennedy was shot in a Ford Lincoln.

------------------
Old 03-12-2001, 04:17 PM   #36
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
An interesting fact for all you mathmatical people

Pierre de Fermat lived for 23159 days. What??? Why is this an interesting fact?

Pierre de Fermat, the father of analytical geometry, is also known for his extensive research into Prime Number Theory and he is sometimes referred to as the father of Prime Numbers. So whay you say.

23159 is a prime number! For him to live a prime number of days is quite amazing given the fact that the next prime number of days wasn't until 1 year and 13 days later. Is this an irony of life????

Ok, I said it would be interesting to mathmatical people, but these people find solving equations all day interesting

I thought it was interesting. I even know who Fermat was! Did you know that they came up with a possible answer to Fermet's Last Theorem? I read the proof. Pretty High level stuff. Used a lot of "new" math concepts that weren't used in Fermet's time. This is one of my little niches of knowledge. (so I'm a geek. I'm ok with that)

BK
Old 03-12-2001, 04:22 PM   #37
FanPyre
Dungeon Master

Quote from Vicotnik

{
Been watching Event Horizon have we? Although that movie was total bullshit all the way through, it was scary as hell and we don't want our lifes to be scary like that do we?
}

If you believe in the idea of infinite parallel dimensions then every possible permutation of reality exists, (somewhere there is a world where i am the president of the world my name is maryln manson(scary) and im married to Joan of arc and margaret Thatcher) Therefore their IS a universe of complete chaos and evil out there as the film suggests. I thought it was an unusual (never saw a blend of gothic horror and science fiction before) and interesting.
Old 03-12-2001, 05:27 PM   #38
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

BK--
I just read Fermat's Last Theorem. WHOA!!! Can someone get paid to come up with this stuff now-a-days?

The same site said that the first accepted proof of his theorem was in 1995.....only 350 years after Fermat stated it!

------------------
Old 03-12-2001, 06:22 PM   #39
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yep, 1995. One of the people who checked the proof for errors is a Professer at THE Ohio State University. I had Advanced Non-Euclidean Geometry with him as a Lecter at Otterbein College (where I went). Man was he out there. But very knowledgeable. One of those who would start writing, then just kind of stare out in space without moving for 5 mins, then go right back into what he was saying like nothing was wrong. I asked him what he thought about during his 'dead air' time, and he says that from time to time, he would have something pop up in his head, and he had to work the proof out to see if the thought was right or not. Weird. But he was a great source of knowledge.

BK
Old 03-12-2001, 06:46 PM   #40
Vicotnik
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by FanPyre:
Quote from Vicotnik

{
}

If you believe in the idea of infinite parallel dimensions then every possible permutation of reality exists, (somewhere there is a world where i am the president of the world my name is maryln manson(scary) and im married to Joan of arc and margaret Thatcher) Therefore their IS a universe of complete chaos and evil out there as the film suggests. I thought it was an unusual (never saw a blend of gothic horror and science fiction before) and interesting.
Yes I do agree with you that there may be a chaos dimension, I mean it's pretty naive to believe there is only one type of world and only one type of intelligent beings. And theoretically these things may work that were done in the movie, but it's still bullshit how the spaceship became a being on it's own and tried to pull everyone with it. I read an interesting version of this dimension thing in a D&D type game in Sweden. It suggested that there were many worlds and these were connected with the "Grey Hallways". It's a pretty complicated story which I'm not gonna go into here, but there are ideas like this flying around everywhere, waiting for one to be confirmed...

------------------
Vicotnik, archmage of the Holy Flame - Challenge me... and die.