Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2004, 03:00 PM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

There's a lot of emphasis on lateral thinking nowadays - and that reminded me of an example that occurred in one of my high school classes. So I thought I would see if the IronWorks members could come up with the same solution my classmate did.

Here's what happened.

The teacher caught a student making a paper airplane in class. Instead of punishing him, the teacher issued a challenge - IF the student could make the plane fly past a line drawn on the floor, he wouldn't be punished at all. However, if the plane did NOT go past the line, the student would get 3 licks from the teachers paddle.

The teacher gave the student 3 tries. The airplane was a "stunt" plane instead of "jet", so it just flew in a circle on the first try. The second attempt was even worse...the plane actually landed behind the student.

Down to his last try, the student made ONE CHANGE to the airplane's design - and successfully got it past the line.

What change did the student make to ensure the plane would fly straight?
Old 05-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

He crumpled it into a ball.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:24 PM   #3
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Duh.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:28 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
What change did the student make to ensure the plane would fly straight?
Simple. Either
Choice or Causality
Old 05-09-2004, 03:34 PM   #5
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Good answer, andrewas. That is exactly what he did. I have to admit that I would have gotten the whipping because I wouldn't have thought to do that. But it was that action that led me to start exploring the concept of "lateral thinking" and coming up with innovative solutions. I'm still not as proficient with it as I would like to be..my thinking tends to be very linear in nature...but it is something I'm working on.

Anyway, now it's your turn to give us a problem that requires some lateral thinking to solve.

[ 05-09-2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 05-09-2004, 04:10 PM   #6
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Can anybody post new problem, or only he who finds the solution to the problem?
Old 05-09-2004, 08:11 PM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
Can anybody post new problem, or only he who finds the solution to the problem?
In all fairness, the person that gets the answer right should get to post the next problem...but I think it's OK for somebody else to post one if they have one ready. Let's just say that no new problems can be posted until the current one is solved. Does that sound fair enough?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:39 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hmmm I wouldn't have thought to crumple it into a ball because the criterion was to make a paper AEROPLANE and a ball is not a plane. So I'm not sure if that was ingenious lateral thinking or just cheating [img]tongue.gif[/img] I can do the latter
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-09-2004, 09:53 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, since the plane came behind him the second time, i thought he'd turn 90 degrees, and throw the plane in that direction. That way there would have been a chance the plane made it to the initial finishline.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:02 PM   #10
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Hmmm I wouldn't have thought to crumple it into a ball because the criterion was to make a paper AEROPLANE and a ball is not a plane. So I'm not sure if that was ingenious lateral thinking or just cheating [img]tongue.gif[/img] I can do the latter
The challenge was NOT to create an AEROPLANE that would fly a specific distance. The student had already made the airplane. Since he did it during the time he was supposed to by studying, the teacher could have punished him for it, but decided to issue a challenge instead. All the teacher said was "You have to get that plane past this line". He didn't say that it had to still be in the shape of a plane. Breaking it down even further, the challenge was to get that piece of paper past the line the teacher drew. And even the teacher had to give the student credit for coming up with such an innovative solution...he thought for SURE he was going to win the challenge, but the student managed to think of a way to get the plane past the line.

It was a solution that even James T. Kirk would have been proud of.