Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2003, 07:16 AM   #1
Arvon
Unicorn

Telephone Solicitation Gone Bad

I was at home the other night in the middle of my dinner when the phone rang.

ME: Hello.

AT&T: Hello, this is AT&T ...

ME: Is this AT&T?

AT&T: Yes, this is AT&T ...

ME: This is AT&T?

ME: Is this AT&T?

AT&T: Yes! This is AT&T, may I speak to Mr.Byron, please?

ME: May I ask who is calling?

AT&T: This is AT&T.

ME: Ok, hold on.

At this point I put the phone down for a solid 5 minutes thinking that, surely, this person would have hung up the phone. I ate my salad. Much to my surprise, when I picked up the receiver, they were still waiting.

ME: Hello?

AT&T: Is this Mr. Byron?

ME: May I ask who is calling, ! please?

ME: This is AT&T?

ME: The phone company?

AT&T: Yes, sir.

ME: I tho! ught you said this was AT&T.

AT&T: Yes, sir, we are a phone company.

ME: I already have a phone.

AT&T: We aren't selling phones today, Mr. Byron. We would like to offer you 10 cents a minute, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

ME: Now, that's 10 cents a minute, 24 hours a day?

AT&T: (getting a little excited at this point by my interest) Yes, sir, that's right! 24 hours a day!

ME: 7 days a week?

AT&T: That's right.

ME: 365 days a year?

AT&T: Yes, sir.

ME: I am definitely interested in that! Wow!!! ! That's amazing!

AT&T: We think so!

ME: That's quite a sum of money!

AT&T: Yes, sir, it's amazing how it adds up.

ME: Ok, so will you send me checks weekly, monthly or just one big one at the end of the year for the full $52,560; and if you send an annual check, can I get a cash advance?

AT&! ;T: Excuse me?

ME: You know, the 10 cents a minute.

AT&T: What are you talking about?

ME: You said you'd give me 10 cents a minute, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. That comes to $144 per day, $1008 per week and $52,560 per year. I'm just interested in knowing how you will be making payment.

AT&T: Oh, no, sir. I didn't mean we'd be paying you. You pay us 10 cents a minute.

ME: Wait a minute, how do you figure that by saying that you'll give me 10 cents a minute, that I'll give YOU 10 cents a minute? Is this some kind of subliminal telemarketing scheme?I've read about things like this in the Enquirer, you know.

AT&T: No, sir, we are offering 10 cents a minute for ...

ME: THERE YOU GO AGAIN! Can I speak to a supervisor please?

AT&T: Sir, I don't think that is nece! ssary.

ME: I insist on speaking to a supervisor!

AT&T: Yes, Mr. Byron. Please hold.

At this point, I begin trying to finish my dinner.

SUPERVISOR: Mr. Byron?

ME: Yeth?

SUPERVISOR: I understand you are not quite understanding our 10 cents a minute program.

ME: Id thish Ath Teeth & Teeth?

SUPERVISOR: Yes, sir, it sure is.

ME: (I had to swallow before I choked on my food. It was all I could do to suppress my laughter and I had to be careful not to produce a snort) No, actually, I was just waiting for someone to get back to me so that I could sign up for the plan.

SUPERVISOR: Ok, no problem, I'll transfer you back to the person who was helping you.

ME: Thank you.

I was on hold once again and managed a few more mouthfuls. I need to end this conversation. Suddenly, there was an aggravated but polite voice at the other end of the phone.

AT&T: Hello, Mr. Byron, I understand that you are interested in signing up for our plan?

ME: No, but I was wondering - do you have that "Friends and Family"
thing because I'm an only child and I'd really like to have a little brother...

AT&T: click........

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 10-17-2003, 08:46 AM   #2
philip
Galvatron

ROFL, that's just too funny
Old 10-17-2003, 10:00 AM   #3
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Lovely!

My personal reply whenever they ask me if they can ask me a question is: "You just did scumbag! [img]tongue.gif[/img] " Really ticks them off.....
Old 10-17-2003, 11:12 AM   #4
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

you should have posted awarning...do not read while drinking hot coffee [img]tongue.gif[/img] I choked, should have done that yesterday with the newspaper

[ 10-17-2003, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 10-17-2003, 03:34 PM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

LOL! I must confess that I was getting a little tired from whole AT&T thingy...where DO you get this funny stuff?....I wonder...
Old 10-17-2003, 06:36 PM   #6
T/-/alali
Baaz Draconian

LOL. When a telemarketer calls my house I start asking if they want to buy cookies. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2003, 06:04 PM   #7
Sir Goulum
John Locke

LOL! I will so do that if I answer the phone and AT&T or someones there [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2003, 06:15 PM   #8
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

LOL!!!
What I usually do is ask them if they will support my telephone company, and then they hang up on me, so I don't have to be the one hanging up on them! [img]graemlins/3laugh.gif[/img]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 10-19-2003, 02:16 AM   #9
GForce

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHH AHAHA!!!!!! O my goodness! Best laugh ever. Dude, you should have an online jokesite. I also do the same thing when a get a telemarketer: give them the run-around. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2004, 03:57 PM   #10
The Fallen One
Elminster

Arvon , did u really do that?? ITS HILARUOUS!!