Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #21
neromanser
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default Re: problem at startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodka View Post
Have you got the Intel Indeo video codec installed?

To check: Control Panel > Sound and Audio Devices > Hardware tab

Then select Video Codecs from list and click properties,
Select properties tab in the new window and look for Indeo codec in the list.

If you have not got it you should be able to find it online somewhere.
Hi, I registered here just to enter into this topic and download that file you uploaded for the topic starter. Like the topic starter, that file got me past the opening.

however, I get the same thing, a crash at the gate where the first video plays, the one where the guy tells you to find the mavin sword.

I beat this game eons ago and would love to play it, but as you can see, im having problems.

I've installed the patches, the graphics patch, and no other game (Even archaic ones) give me problems.

I also checked for the intel indeo codec and I have it installed. (I knew this anyway since I use Virtualdub to edit my youtube videos and always saw that codec on the option for compression)

Anyone still feel like helping a W&W fan?
neromanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #22
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Short answer... yes. Long answer... I'm heading out the door to Toronto in an hour or so, and won't be back for a couple of days.

Do a check for other software that's running. There have been packages in the past that caused crashes... filesharing apps in particular. Anti-virus software can sometimes cause problems, but I don't recommend getting rid of it

I'll be back on Wednesday and will look more then.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #23
neromanser
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
Short answer... yes. Long answer... I'm heading out the door to Toronto in an hour or so, and won't be back for a couple of days.

Do a check for other software that's running. There have been packages in the past that caused crashes... filesharing apps in particular. Anti-virus software can sometimes cause problems, but I don't recommend getting rid of it

I'll be back on Wednesday and will look more then.
Actually while I was away from the board I did some searching for the Indeo codec. They want you to pay, so I found a freeware version on a download site.

I installed it, but after copying a few files it said I had a newer version of it and quit.

Oddly enough, after re-trying the game, it let me go past the town exit, but I did not see the movie with the village elder (I remember this part playing).

Still, I had no problem killing monsters and making it to the first dungeon in the cemetary. Everything worked fine. Played for about an hour, no problem.

I know this sounds silly, but I'm a "power" user. I am very, very hands on with my machines so I'm intimate with them. I actually run only 21 processes in windows, and they are all system processes. So I'm not one of those clueless guys that have 50 aps running. I'm usually the guy helping others run games. If you go to youtube, I'm the one posting all the old DOS game videos:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=boilerplate

I'm actually trying to get W&W going again so I can do a recorded run through of the game the way I did Daggerfall.

ANYhoo...

The only problem the game has now is when I exit. It gives me an error message (Which doesn't seem to do anything terribly bad, since I can run Hellgate and NWN2 after it crashes without a reboot)
Old 01-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #24
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

No worries, neromanser. We get all types here, so we usually start with the basics Good to have new blood in here... especially some experienced blood. Jeez... I sound like a vampire or something

Sounds like you've got everything behaving now. I also have an issue with exiting the game... it hangs. I've gotten into the habit of just getting back to the initial start screen, alt-tabbing, and killing deep6 from Task Manager.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:25 AM   #25
neromanser
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
No worries, neromanser. We get all types here, so we usually start with the basics Good to have new blood in here... especially some experienced blood. Jeez... I sound like a vampire or something

Sounds like you've got everything behaving now. I also have an issue with exiting the game... it hangs. I've gotten into the habit of just getting back to the initial start screen, alt-tabbing, and killing deep6 from Task Manager.
I always loved this game. I never quite understood why it didn't take off. I ended up getting into Wizardry 8 after finishing up with it and had been wanting to pick it back up. Problem is, I could never get past that hourglass hanging at the black screen bug that the thread starter here experienced.

Your file fixed that, finally. Four years of struggling, and that was all I ever needed. I only wish you had posted it somewhere back then!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #26
ardo123
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Where did you download the indeo codecs? could you PM it to me? I looked around a bit (not very hard) and couldn't find any except the pay ones.
ardo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #27
neromanser
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardo123 View Post
Where did you download the indeo codecs? could you PM it to me? I looked around a bit (not very hard) and couldn't find any except the pay ones.
I downloaded the one here:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-14540.html

I ran the installer, but halfway through the process (It had already copied a few files at this point though) it told me I had a newer one and exited, telling me I had to uninstall my current one if I wanted to revert to the installer's older version. (I decided against it)

Now I can get past the gate, but the video that originally played at that moment (where the Elder spoke about you needing to find the Mavin sword) does not play.

So I guess it's a solution about as much as putting masking tape over a hole in the wall would be! Bottom line is, it works. For now, anyway.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #28
neromanser
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey Ardo, I did some searching for us and found the newer XP version of the codec.

http://www.free-codecs.com/Indeo_Codec_download.htm

I scanned it with AVg, everything seems clean. It didn't give me the "You have a newer version already" error...so I installed it. Seems ok. give THAT one a shot.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #29
Shadow Stranger

The game runs fine on my version of Windows XP. I have it run under 98/ME compatibility setting, with all three Display Settings boxes checked.

There are frequent crashes, usually when I hack the files in the main game directory.

It is not related to the townmask#.avi problem because it is occurring too early in the business. (You will need to read solution 6.1 for this.)
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #30
neromanser
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Stranger View Post
The game runs fine on my version of Windows XP. I have it run under 98/ME compatibility setting, with all three Display Settings boxes checked.

There are frequent crashes, usually when I hack the files in the main game directory.

It is not related to the townmask#.avi problem because it is occurring too early in the business. (You will need to read solution 6.1 for this.)
He can get past the townmask fan, that isn't the problem. His problem now is getting past the gate.

I've been able to solve it, sort of. It's related to the Indeo codec. You just need to DL it somewhere and hope for the best it would seem.