Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-22-2002, 11:07 AM   #21
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Thanks for your time and effort Bokken. I wasn't aware of the Greek Orthodox views before. [img]smile.gif[/img] Cheers.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-22-2002, 11:20 AM   #22
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Bokken, my church teaches many of the same ideas that you have shared, with a few variations, of course. Still, you are very close to what I am taught. (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormon...as we are publically known.)
If anybody ever wants a reference to my church or beliefs for comparison, we actually have it on a website.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:21 AM   #23
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Thanks for your time and effort Bokken. I wasn't aware of the Greek Orthodox views before. [img]smile.gif[/img] Cheers.

Yorick it is I who thank you and everyone else. I am happy to be able to pass this information to anyone who wishes to notice it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2002, 12:11 PM   #24
Durwyn
Elminster

Thanks Bokken for clearing everything up .

See? SATAN IS EVIL! We all knew it .
Old 01-22-2002, 01:12 PM   #25
norompanlasolas

i think satan is the ultimate scapegoat. the lee harvey oswald of organised religions. if he existed, i could imagine the poor guy watching all the killing, cruelty, starvation and corruption on earth and thinking... why do these people insist on blaming me for all their fine work?

sadly, that is probably one of the reasons why mankind refuses to acknowledge guilt for their own actions. and also, because of the notion that someone elses views are ultimately evil, without possibility or redemption of any kind; bloody wars are fought so that the enemy can be erradicated.

we probably havent learned much since we started as a race. first we killed each other for mere survival. then came evolution, and the killing was made for reasons of land and riches. the coming of cristianity didnt improve things that much either. although at first they were persecuted and killed, they soon became the murderers, tortures and holders of the truth (the "holy" inquisition being their most famous period, but not the only one). the muslim religion didnt do much better either, as the aftermath of the crusades can testify. and whilst i obviously cant speak for all religions, because i dont know the history of all, i believe deep down all originate in the conception that they are the only one and the rest are unbelievers.

recently, when we should know better, it has again become a useful tool for hatemongers all over the world. fanatical terrorists on one side die killing thousands of innocents in the process, ignorantly thinking that those people have guilt only because they havent got their same faith. on the other side, a much more sofisticated way of crushing and killing is done, although in the name of the most sacred of religions in this era, and also the most cruel of all. capitalism. capitalism will probably kill more people than all organised religions in the entire history of the world.

well, that is my opinion anyways. i hope i didnt offend anyone, as it is with no intention to do that. and as a friend of mine said, it may not be right... but its mine! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2002, 02:24 PM   #26
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by norompanlasolas:
i think satan is the ultimate scapegoat. the lee harvey oswald of organised religions. if he existed, i could imagine the poor guy watching all the killing, cruelty, starvation and corruption on earth and thinking... why do these people insist on blaming me for all their fine work?

I think it's like Shakespears Othello and Iago. Iago merely suggested, but Othello chose to listen and act upon the suggestion.
Same it is with humanity. We can choose to flee and resist the suggestions to take the dark path, or we can go hurtling down it. It's easier to destroy than to create. Takes less energy, less time.

Take the Sept 11 terrorists. A handful of humans with the willingness to die for ones beliefs achieved what no army could have done. No army would have got anywhere near WTC.

Imagine what such conviction, will and determination could have achieved if positivity was the aim instead of senseless negative destruction!

We don't have to listen to the deceiver. He has no power unless you give it to him.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-22-2002, 03:18 PM   #27
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

"Satan's greatest trick was convincing Man he didn't exist"
Old 01-22-2002, 08:22 PM   #28
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

From what I know Satan was cast out because he was jealous that God loved us(people) more than he did them (angels). Satan was God's favorite angel and the word Lucifer transulated means "light bearer". Satan was kicked out because he was causing beef with God over the whole jealousy thing.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:55 AM   #29
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Thanks everyone for your answers, very enlighting.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:21 AM   #30
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by norompanlasolas:

An interesting viewpoint. Something very like it emerged in the late Middle Ages and early Renaissance of Western Europe, when some clerics grew disgusted with the venality and luxury of both the Church and society at large. There were several extremely sarcastic tales and songs created, detailing the adventures of younger devils among humanity. Invariably, the devil would be instructed to seduce away souls from good, but discover that humanity was much better at the game.

The idea was revived around the turn of the century, and has since gained a limited popularity. For example, the composer Respighi wrote an opera, Belfagor, adopting one of those medieval texts about a "poor devil." Wolfgang Hildesheimer wrote a short story about a forlorn devil who has realized with despair that nothing can match 20th century humanity for sheer inventive deviltry. James Branch Cabell, in his delightfull novel Jurgen, reflected on how badly overworked the devils in hell were, what with the constant influx of new souls, and how a government by demoracy frustrated any attempts at finding solutions to the problem.