Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-19-2002, 10:54 AM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

I was just wondering what you'd guys thought was not that good about Baldur's Gate 2. I thought the story line was brilliant, for one thing, but I disliked the fact that if the main character dies, your game is over as well. I mean; why can everyone else be resurrected and you not?

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 11:05 AM   #2
Wedin

Because, when a bhaalspawn dies, his body disinteragtes and his spirit is returned to the Abyss.

I disliked that there were so few areas outside Athkatla (compared to BG1), and of those that existed, it took exactly 20 hours to travel to.
The open coutryside in BG1 was lacking. There was no music in bars either.
Half-Orcs looked just like humans.
The paperdolls were ugly.
No Diemnsion Door.
Poor Mage-stronghold (why must a practioner of the most intelligent and noble profession in the World live in the slums?).
You saw so little of Irenicus (the coolest guy in the game).
That BioWare made him (irenicus) so tall and muscular. Doesn't look as an elf.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:27 AM   #3
Helspanth
Quintesson

Irenicus wasn't supposed to look like an elf.The Seldarine had stripped him of anything that was elven including appearence!
As for the Topic I didn't like
1.The Equalizer.For the trouble you get into in order to find it,it is hardly worth it.
2.The fact that there was NO pure thief in the game,with the exeption of yoshimo("good thief but I never really liked him.Now I know why")
3.Evil theives cannot work with Bodhi!!!!!! [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]
4.Only possible romance for female was Anomen.They could have worked more onthis!I mean we get a choice of 3 females and the girls only Anomen...
5.The fact that in Hell taking even 1 evil path results in alignment change.
Well aside for these slight faults the game is brilliant!
Old 02-19-2002, 12:22 PM   #4
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

maybe a spoiler

Hmmmmm , things I didnt like about BG2??Well , there's Aerie.There is also the fact that there were 3 useless FREAKING thief/mages in the game!!The least that Bioware could have done was have one of them start out as a mage FIRST so that we would have another option for a thief besides Useless irritateing JAN and Mr."dance on the head of a pin"Yoshomo!!! I also wish that there was a way for evil parties to team up with Irenicus.As in , when you get to the asylum and hear his plan you could agree to help him destroy sulldenesalar and maybe have him double cross you so you could still kill him in hell. Otherwise the game totaly ROCKED !!
Old 02-19-2002, 12:30 PM   #5
andy the assasin
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Wedin:
Because, when a bhaalspawn dies, his body disinteragtes and his spirit is returned to the Abyss.

If this happens to all Bhaalspawn why does this not happen to imoen when she dies? Anyway the thing i disliked most about Bg2 is that it had to end. It was such a brilliant game. Oh well theres always the opportunity to replay it.
andy the assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 01:01 PM   #6
Wedin

quote:
Originally posted by andy the assasin:

If this happens to all Bhaalspawn why does this not happen to imoen when she dies? Anyway the thing i disliked most about Bg2 is that it had to end. It was such a brilliant game. Oh well theres always the opportunity to replay it.

Good question... it happens to Sarevok, and to the Bhaal-Spawns in ToB... wieeerd
Old 02-19-2002, 01:05 PM   #7
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

I thought it was something dumb like the bhaal-essence affecting each of the spawn in different ways - the PC gets the extra abilities, but as a down-side crumbles to dust on death. Imoen gets nothing either way (apart from cuteness +1 - if you're into that sort of thing [img]smile.gif[/img] )
antonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 01:31 PM   #8
Wedin

You do also get the penatly that you can only travel a few meters with dimension door, while every level 7 mage can do it how far he wants to.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:47 PM   #9
Nim'ohtar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just really dislike Irenicus' dungeon. The first area of the game, but when you exit to the surface all the fun begins.

I love Imoen, and Aerie, and slightly yoshimo was amusing.

Soloing though, is fun. I didn't realize Imoen dies, perhaps this is bg1 it happens? oh well oh well ;Ž
Old 02-19-2002, 01:52 PM   #10
Nifft the Nimble

1) You can't skip the cutscenes even if you've seen them eighty-freekin'-thousand times.

2) "You must gather your party before venturing forth."

3) Lack of Neutral fighters, lack of pure-class thieves, lack of non-cleric romances.

4) No way to change alignment from Evil to Good.

5) Lame HQ for Paladins. Lame "rescue your betrothed" bullcrap at beginning of Paladin quest. Why bother? You get to rescue SPOILER when SPOILER does that SPOILER-transformation in chapter 6.

6) No special HQ for Monks. Why would a Monk want to rule a castle? No, Monks need a temple of some sort. It'd be such fun to have a kung-fu parody for you HQ.

7) Lack of race/sex/alignment specific magic items. So far only the Dwarven Thrower so far as I can see.

8) Lack of items which give bonus 1st level mage spells. I wish the Metaspell Influence Amulet gave 2 1st level spells instead of 1 2nd level spell.

9) I want more Bard songs, and the ability to switch between them somehow. At the very least, allow Jesters to switch between their song and the Improved Bard Song.

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote