Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 07-30-2002, 08:53 AM   #221
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

BIOS is short for Basic Input/Output System, and is the stuff that allows the base components of the computer to talk to each other. This is more than CPU to monitor and CD-ROM; it's memory, ports, CPU, cache, video memory, and more.

When your computer boots up, there's a brief display that lets you edit the BIOS settings. Usually, you hit F1 or a delete key to access it. That lets you change the boot order, among other things.

WARNING!!! If you mess around with the BIOS, you can turn your computer into a paperweight. Be very certain before you make any changes to it. You've been warned.

You can update your BIOS through a process called flashing the BIOS. I've never done it; I've never had issues severe enough where upgrading the BIOS was the answer. It's definitly not a move for the weak of heart, but done properly, it's very safe and stable. I just wouldn't practice on a machine I needed...

On some computers, you may not see the message for hitting F1 or Delete to update BIOS settings. This is a function of other software installed on the machine, and can vary from PC to PC. Even if you can't see it, though, the keys should work. Now, which key might it be....
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 08:57 PM   #222
tater
Dungeon Master

Okay, I've got one I haven't seen in this thread. I recently upgraded to Windows XP and changed to a Geforce 4 MX video card. Now the game is crashing whenever I try to carry an object. I've just been ignoring the problem up until now and not trying to carry stuff, but I can't finish the Shrine of Anephas without being able to carry the obelisks. Is there any way to fix this, or do I just need to go back to Win 98? I know it's not a memory or sound card problem, I wasn't having any problems carrying things before, and that stuff is still the same. Already updated my drivers for the video card. Didn't help.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:12 AM   #223
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

First off, tater, welcome to the boards. May you make the salads in the Gael Serran into an agreeable main course before they make you one...

Second, have you hit all the usual suspects for WinXP? Specifically....

1. Virtualdub
2. Sufficient virtual memory
3. 95/98 Compatibility mode
4. DirectX

Check elsewhere in the help desk thread for details, and post back with results.
-+-+-+
Old 08-19-2002, 11:48 PM   #224
tater
Dungeon Master

Just noticed the forum was back up.

I'd used the virtualdub trick already to fix the town problem. Eventually, I got the game to let me carry objects while playing in 95 compatible mode. Sadly, the monsters and NPCs no longer speak. No one has told me they're going to kick my head in since I tweaked the mode. I kinda miss it.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:36 AM   #225
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

bump ba da bump bump.... bump BUMP!
-+-+-+
Old 09-17-2002, 11:26 AM   #226
WillowIX
Apophis

Bump until the new thread is up [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2002, 11:32 AM   #227
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Thought the new thread WAS up, just not complete.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote