Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Worried A fine example of modern barbarism..

Saudi court orders lashes, prison for rape victim

RIYADH (Reuters) - A Saudi court has increased the sentence given to a gang rape victim to 200 lashes of the whip and six months in prison and ordered disciplinary action against her lawyer for talking to the media, the lawyer said on Friday.

A series of erratic verdicts have focused attention on the Saudi legal system, much of which remains uncodified and which does not recognize the concept of precedent.

The 19-year-old Shi'ite woman from the town of Qatif in the Eastern Province was raped by seven men in 2006. A court had originally sentenced the woman to 90 lashes and the rapists to jail terms of between 10 months and five years.

The victim's lawyer Abdul-Rahman al-Lahem told Reuters another court had increased her sentence on Wednesday to 200 lashes and six months in prison. It ordered the rapists to serve between two and nine years in jail.

"The court blamed the girl for being alone with unrelated men, but it should have taken the humane view that it cannot be considered her fault," Lahem said, adding the case still has an appeal stage before the verdict becomes final.

He said the judges had also taken the unusual step of suspending Lahem from the case and initiating a disciplinary procedure that could see him barred from practicing law.

Lahem said the case highlighted deep problems in the Saudi justice system which rights activists hope judicial reforms announced this year by King Abdullah will help to solve.

"The aim of the reforms is to create a new judicial reality," he said.

Clerics who adhere to Saudi Arabia's austere Sunni form of Islamic sharia law dominate the legal system, with Shi'ite Muslims also judged according to Sunni Islamic law.

The state-affiliated Human Rights Commission says current efforts to codify the penal code will limit the chances of arbitrary sentencing by judges.

(Reporting by Andrew Hammond; Editing by Catherine Evans)

Link: http://www.reuters.com/article/mapNe...6?pageNumber=2
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Default Re: A fine example of modern barbarism..

Hold on.. Did I misread or are they punishing the victim for being raped?

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonshadow View Post
Hold on.. Did I misread or are they punishing the victim for being raped?
I thought the same, so re-read it and it seems that way. That is the most craziest case I have ever heard. A bit luckily, in this example, that they have no concept of precedent, every rape victim being treat this way would be just barbaric.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Every so often, something comes along that lends credence to the concept of vigilante justice...

...except that this, on one hand, *IS* vigilante justice. Mob rules.

I have to wonder... is Saudi Arabia considered a civilized country?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Thoran
Galvatron

Their rules are based on Islamic Law... and it's been around for LOONG time.

Right or wrong... the woman in question is not being lashed for being raped, she's being lashed for allowing herself into a situation where she ended up with 7 men she was unrelated to. In some way she must have chosen to put herself in that situation (the rape victim would not normally be punished if she was following the law and was raped). In Saudi Arabia, women are NEVER supposed to be out alone, normally they go everywhere with other women or men from their family. I spent several months there on business years back and I saw very few Saudi women, and the ones I did see were always in large groups.

Personally, I think given the absurd level of violence and injustice in our own cultures... we have no right to point at other cultures and act like we're the ones with the answers. We need to get our own house in order.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: A fine example of modern barbarism..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoran View Post
Personally, I think given the absurd level of violence and injustice in our own cultures... we have no right to point at other cultures and act like we're the ones with the answers. We need to get our own house in order.
Western culture may have it's problem, but over here people don't get lashed for being alone, then don't get their hand cut off, they don't get stoned etc. They can call it law if they want, that doesn't change the fact it's violent, bloodthirsty, close minded and prehistoric.

Quote:
In some way she must have chosen to put herself in that situation...
That's just wrong. So you're blaming the victim and excusing the rapists? I thought the people here were better than that...
Old 11-17-2007, 11:57 PM   #7
Cadfael
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I do not think he is saying that, what he is saying that Saudi Arabia is a Muslim country with Islamic laws. Their law may be just as much of an ass as our law, but they have a right to make their own laws. We do not like it when they criticise us for allowing our women to go out alone, or in the company of men they are not related to.

Thoran is just stating what is fact in Islamic law. It may also sound pedantic, but she is not being lashed for being raped, she is being flogged for breaking Islamic law that states a woman should not be alone in the company of men not related to her.

I fully agree, it is barbaric, but that is my free western thinking judging Saudi Arabia. It offends our sense of western justice, but each and every country has the right to make its own laws... no matter how violently we disagree. However, I have always believed that no matter what faith, secular law is the way to go, religion should not be a part of government, but the fact is in many Muslim countries that is the way they do things.
Cadfael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #8
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Disgusting.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:29 AM   #9
Trogdor
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
That's just wrong. So you're blaming the victim and excusing the rapists? I thought the people here were better than that...
You should re-read his post, Thoran never said anything like that, he was simply explaining the way the courts viewed her actions.

Shoop Da Whoop!
Linux - People aren't really interested in building their car from scratch either.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #10
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Does anyone think that being gang raped isn't "punishment" enough for being in the company of unrelated men? Does anyone think, with or without the lashes, that she's EVER going out alone again?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote