Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Fellow IW's. I have changed my end of class comment sheets at work and it appears I have lost my enthusiasm.

History: Retired Army. Fall 1997-Fall 2000, Military instructor Master Gunner Course. Fall 2004 - Current, Army Contract instructor Master Gunner Course. Master Gunner Course = Seasoned Mid-grade and Senior-grade Non-Commissioned Officers. All inclusive; Army, Marine, and NG/Marine Reserve along with an interspersing of foreign military students.
Student, pursuing BA Human Resources ~ Occupational Communications.

This current class I changed up my end of class comment sheets to provide myself with better student to instructor analogies. This new sheet allows the student to express themselves wholly and fully without repercussion on either themselves or the instructor.

My old sheets had comments like "Excellent knowledge" "Professional" "Good use of experiences".

My new sheets have comments like: "Excellent knowledge, but lack of emotion". "I learned a lot from this class, however the instructor could have made it better by being more motivating". "Mr. Felix adds to the class by interjecting real world experiences, but shows lack of concern for students experiences". "Very professional, very non-interesting teach character from Mr. Felix". "Excellent knowledge-Excellent use of experience-Excellent use of instructor techniques. However, Mr. Felix lacks motivation and enthusiasm in his presentations".

My fellow IW's, I ask of thee, how do I find my motivation and enthusiasm for my students benefits?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Have you tried magic mushrooms?
Old 04-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Havock
Dungeon Master

How exciteing can you make human resource training? Do they want you to wear a clown wig and tell jokes?

http://www.myspace.com/measuredingrey
Havock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Take a moment to reflect on why you are doing the job. If you can't think of any other reason than "a paycheque", then maybe a job change is in order.

Perhaps all you need is to just take some time off and challenge yourself to remember why you did this to begin with.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'll offer you a simple solution to try out for a while, Felix. Head to Toastmasters and follow the Find A Club link for one in your area.

Why?

Because, based on what you've offered up here, it sounds like you've got a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience that you've been sharing. And your students have been "getting" that. What they haven't been getting, though, is one minor detail, and I think it's the most important thing in any speaking engagement.

You have to truly care, in places where it's uncomfortable to care, that they get what you're saying... and for *THEIR* reasons, not yours.

Toastmasters is about speaking, but it's about speaking with power and effectiveness. Before I'd joined, I had given presentations to up to 1,000 people before. I was used to speaking in front of groups, but looking back, I wasn't effective. I was a geek up there in front of them, hoping they'd understand (and buy [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

Now... I can pretty much speak at any place, any time. And people specifically schedule themselves to attend my sessions.

The difference, for me... I *know* I know my stuff. Much like you do, I suspect. And I know it well enough now that when they bring something up, I can make that part of what I'm presenting. Toastmasters has helped me realize and master that.

I've been doing it for almost ten years now, but I've seen dramatic improvements in as few as three speeches (which typically means about three months).

One more suggestion, based on something I've just started reading. Jeffrey Gitomer is a sales trainer and educator, and his latest book, the Little Green Book of Getting Your Way, focuses on being a more effective communicator. It's very nicely priced on Amazon, and I suspect you'd find it helpful as well.

One final thought... next time around, ask them for ideas about how you can communicate to them more effectively. You might be surprised at what they offer, both in terms of the ideas as well as how easily some can be tried out.

Good luck. And congrats on opening yourself up to seeing how you can do things better. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'll offer you a simple solution to try out for a while, Felix. Head to Toastmasters and follow the Find A Club link for one in your area.

Why?

Because, based on what you've offered up here, it sounds like you've got a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience that you've been sharing. And your students have been "getting" that. What they haven't been getting, though, is one minor detail, and I think it's the most important thing in any speaking engagement.

You have to truly care, in places where it's uncomfortable to care, that they get what you're saying... and for *THEIR* reasons, not yours.

Toastmasters is about speaking, but it's about speaking with power and effectiveness. Before I'd joined, I had given presentations to up to 1,000 people before. I was used to speaking in front of groups, but looking back, I wasn't effective. I was a geek up there in front of them, hoping they'd understand (and buy [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

Now... I can pretty much speak at any place, any time. And people specifically schedule themselves to attend my sessions.

The difference, for me... I *know* I know my stuff. Much like you do, I suspect. And I know it well enough now that when they bring something up, I can make that part of what I'm presenting. Toastmasters has helped me realize and master that.

I've been doing it for almost ten years now, but I've seen dramatic improvements in as few as three speeches (which typically means about three months).

One more suggestion, based on something I've just started reading. Jeffrey Gitomer is a sales trainer and educator, and his latest book, the Little Green Book of Getting Your Way, focuses on being a more effective communicator. It's very nicely priced on Amazon, and I suspect you'd find it helpful as well.

One final thought... next time around, ask them for ideas about how you can communicate to them more effectively. You might be surprised at what they offer, both in terms of the ideas as well as how easily some can be tried out.

Good luck. And congrats on opening yourself up to seeing how you can do things better. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

*almost edit* Forgot to mention one presentation I gave about four years ago. I looked at the feedback from the attendees, and one of them wrote down that I was arrogant.

Me! I could hardly believe it... but then I thought about the session.

It started late because the previous speaker ran long, and I couldn't get the session track manager to speed things up because *HE* was the speaker.

I was rushed to get set up and start my presentation, and as a result, I probably didn't start my presentation on my usual good notes.

And the way that attendee perceived it, I was arrogant. And he was absolutely correct... because that's what he felt. He can't be wrong, unless he's lying about his own feelings.

My challenge... not get caught up defensively, but acknowledge that he perceived me that way, try to figure out why, and figure out how to correct it in the future. I think I've succeeded... at least, until someone else decides I'm arrogant [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Be compassionate to why your students are there. Be truley interested in what they have to say and give it credibility. Remember they can get knowledge from a book, what are you bringing to the table and how enthusiatic are you serving it up. Truely being excited about the knowledge you possess is a gift, realizing your life has given you incredible experiances that you are lucky to have is important. Also it is a priviledge for you to be able to teach such people, as well as a priviledge to hear what your students have to say.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Excellent GUYS! Tanks.

B~I was just reading in the student lounge at college that the local "Toastmasters" is hosting an upcoming promotion and membership drive in May. I must add this to my schedule.

Additionally, arrogance. Yes, it comes with the territory. To be one; you are selected by the senior chain of command based upon many skills and attributes in the profession, thus making the graduating candidate the top 10% of the force. To actually achieve the status of master gunner instructor puts one at the top 10% of the top 10%, thus placing us in the elite status of the top 1% of the entire force. And like you mentioned, yes we are subject matter experts (SMEs) in our areas, teaching from knowledge, not from the presentation. Our attrition rate is high and unquestioned by our superiors.

Nightwing~You have just delivered the riddle to 'my' "Grail" Thank You!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote