Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

We know that Iran and Syria are close....
http://haaretz.com/hasen/spages/828914.html

Syria is moving hardware and troops closer to the border of Israel, and I BET you they are doing this just incase we attack Iran--in which, they will attack Israel.

So then, we'll have Syria, Israel, Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan in conflict. Then you know all the smaller countries like Lebanon will jump in....

So much at at stake...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Syria has tried that before, and they got their ass kicked thoroughly, i doubt they make the same mistake twice.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Every time Israel has been to war with it's arab neighbours, it has never been the aggressor and always won. In fact, this is how they've gained so much of the territory they have.

This really rankles the arabs to no end.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:22 PM   #4
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I'm not gonna lie.

This is all quite depressing for the young highschooler who doesn't understand war.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by SomeGuy:
I'm not gonna lie.

This is all quite depressing for the young highschooler who doesn't understand war.
It is indeed... Any way you look at it, it looks like something bad is about to happen in the Middle East. You would think they would be tired of warfare. Hell, you would think the world would be tired of it--but as we all know, war if profitable. blah.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:34 AM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Israel is gonna kick Syria's butt. Like badly.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:07 AM   #7
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
Israel is gonna kick Syria's butt. Like badly.
Israel is within the top five of the countries in the world capable of opening the largest can of whoopass. Without resorting to nuclear weaponry. Syria is badly outmatched here. What, they planned to bomb the country with their Scud-Ds? Not with the Arrows that Israel has all around the map. Use the Kornets to take care of Merkavas? Not realistically possible, really. The missile is capable of beating Merkava's armor, but not the TROPHY system. And they have no way of countering Israeli air superiority. It's a good thing both sides are showing their teeth, but keeping to their sides of the fence.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:36 AM   #8
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

The alternative is that Syria is doing it due to paranoia, because they suspect that an attack on Iran will also result in attacks on other governments in the area.

It could also be that they want to intervene in case Hezbollah takes it as THEIR cue to attack, the Syrians might not like the Israelis, but if I recall right, the last Israel/Hezbollah conflict resulted in a mob of Lebanese refugees fleeing into Syria. It could be they want to avoid that happening again. Or maybe they just want the troops there to turn away the refugees.

Or a possibility is that they ARE planning to act against Israel, just very indirectly, by feeding weapons, ammo and other supplies to Hezbollah and other local militant groups if the shit hits the fan.

Before you say that Israel is unbombardable, don't forget that Hezbollah and Hamas have been raining rockets on Israel for a while now without Israeli anti-rocket systems knocking them down. Scuds would be far easier targets, true, but there's no guarantee that's what Syria plans to use. They're probably quite aware of Israel's capabilities.

TROPHY... Eh, I have to say I have my doubts about it's efficiency. For one thing, if the tank is anywhere near friendly infantry, the shot or the explosion from the projectile could result in rather unpleasant friendly fire. It also won't do jack against IED's, mines, tank shells or any form of solid slug. I would also be amazed if this thing was either not possible to disable, overwhelm with a large number of shots at once or had a blind angle somewhere.

If it was to have no blind angle, it would require a quite exposed location where it could probably be damaged and thereby disabled. No matter how fast it is, enough shots at once could overwhelm it, a well-sprung ambush would be all it took. I suppose it's possible that there are multiple TROPHY turrets on a single vehicle, so that they're capable of being somewhat covered and still have no blind angles, but I suspect that would be somewhat cost-prohibitive.

From what I'm reading, it also sounds like only newer versions of TROPHY are actually capable of reloading to counter multiple assaults. Doesn't sound like the most well-thought-through system, definitely not a God Mode for any tank.*

It should also be noted that during the 2006 Israel vs Hezbollah fight, Hezbollah DID manage to knock out several Merkavas with Kornet missiles. This would seem to suggest they are a threat.

*that would be the IDDQD system.

[ 02-23-2007, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: PurpleXVI ]
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I've heard about ten thousand different accounts on the TROPHY system. What I can gather is that there are two turrets on a tank and no blind spot. The older system could be reloaded manually from the inside, the new one reloads automatically. I think it can take care of half a dozen targets with a single clip/magazine/load/whatever it uses to house the shells.
For this day and age, it pretty much is the closest thing to a God Mode for a fighting vehicle, much more effective and advanced than the Russian flak-style Arena. And it's not like the Merkava actually depends on it, not with the kind of armor and design it has.
Please note that the Kornet missile was tested against Merkava's armor, without the TROPHY system.

And IDDQD system made me lol. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-24-2007, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: Bozos of Bones ]
Old 02-23-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
God mode. Bozos....the games have taken control of your life, you are lost to mankind.