Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-26-2001, 10:13 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I know Tom is being left out of the movie version of LotR, but Robbie Coltrane, who played Hagrid the half-giant in "Harry Potter", would be perfect.

We took the kids to see HP this weekend, and as soon as Hagrid showed up, all I could think of was Tom Bombadil.

23 days to LotR! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2001, 10:51 AM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Was anyone else left with that impression, or was it just me? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Are there any other actors who came to mind over the years for the roles in Tolkiens books? I know the parts are cast now, but I'm just wondering. I always thought Richard Harris would make a great Gandolph.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:55 AM   #3
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Anthony Hopkins would be a terrific Théoden!
Old 11-26-2001, 10:56 AM   #4
Neb
Account deleted by Request

WHAT?!?!?!? No Tom Bombadil?!?!?! Are they scrapping the entire journey through the Old Forest and the Barrow Downs? None if it can be included if Tom Bombadil isn't there! Tell me, are they scrapping any other important characters?
Old 11-26-2001, 11:49 AM   #5
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Awwww man that's a major bummer there. I loved Tom Bombadil in the story. Don't know why but two of the things that I was looking forward to seeing in the movie was him and how they would put together the fight against Gandalf and the monster in the cave, mountain (I forget exactly which it is) where they think he's died.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:54 AM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

the Balrog
Old 11-26-2001, 12:02 PM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Originally posted by Bokken:
Awwww man that's a major bummer there. I loved Tom Bombadil in the story. Don't know why but two of the things that I was looking forward to seeing in the movie was him and how they would put together the fight against Gandalf and the monster in the cave, mountain (I forget exactly which it is) where they think he's died.

That was in Mordor when Gandalf fought the Balrog. My memory of Tom Bombadil is fuzzy at best. It's been too many years since I read the books.

AFA actors go, how about Gary Coleman as Sam Gamgee......OK, not really. But at least he's the right size and has experience as a comic relief character.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:11 PM   #8
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

That's the one! Balrog! Thanks to both of you. I guess in both Tom Bombadil and Gandalf fighting the Gandalfs case it was the fact that it really made you wonder what exactly would happen to change the story around. I was so excited when Gandalf showed up again that I reckon I had a grin from ear to ear.

In Tom's case, it was when he saved Frodo and the party from (I really have to remember names) what seemed to be certain death. I guess with the books being so big though, any detail they leave out is a huge let-down to fans so I shouldn't worry too much.
Old 11-26-2001, 01:52 PM   #9
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Danny de Vito as Gollum
[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2001, 01:56 PM   #10
Lucre
Elminster

Next your gonna tell me that they left out Aragorn. I also hope they make the Appendix at the end into some kind of film. Im trying to finish The Fellowship of The Rings by Dec19 aswell