Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 03-19-2001, 10:14 AM   #1
Brynth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I backed up the Saves and Character directory from my old computer and copied them to my new Dell. I installed Baldur's Gate, the Patch, then Tales of the Sword Coast to bring it up to date with my old computer. If I launch a new game I have not problems. If I try to load a saved game Baldur's Gate crashes and I am unable to get into it until I uninstall, delete all files, hack the registry and reinstall from scratch. What am I missing? Are there other files that need to be copied?
Brynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 10:51 AM   #2
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

When you install TotSC, the installation program asks you whether you want to modify the saved games so that you can use them with TotSC. If you havent done that, you can do it now by running "MConvert.exe". This file should be in your BG directory, it will update your savegames and you will be able to use them with TotSC.

------------------
"Let my spells do the dirty work" Ertai, High Sorceror of the Holy Flame
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 11:07 AM   #3
Brynth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had been playing for some time on TotSC before I saved these games so they should be already updated. Any other ideas?
Old 03-19-2001, 04:47 PM   #4
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Then i dunno

Have you tried copying the files again ?? Maybe there was some error when you copied them from your old computer to the new one

------------------
"Let my spells do the dirty work" Ertai, High Sorceror of the Holy Flame
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 04:57 PM   #5
Brynth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Doesn't seem to be a copy issue. Did run across something that said the archive attribute on the file needed to be checked or it would do something like I am experiencing, so I will try that. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:11 PM   #6
Mirror
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just for info: There are separate patches for BG stand-alone, and for BG + TotSC together. For my case, I installed BG, then TotSC, then the TotSC patch. In which sequence did you install the game/add-on/patch? And did you duplicate it on your new computer?
Mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 10:37 AM   #7
Brynth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I did do it in the same order. When I checked file attributes they were copying as read only. I changed that and set the archive bit and the problem has disappeared. Thanks to everyone for their input.