Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

So I had this IE hijacker thing going on, a trojan that pretends to be msnmsgs.exe. While reading some steps for removal (unsuccessful ones btw) I made my way to the add/remove programs window in the control panel. It then said to click to Add/remove windows components and scroll down to find 'windows messenger', tick it and remove it.

Well, when I did that and restarted I noticed I was missing things such as shortcuts on my toolbars and the IE shortcut was gone. I could live with that -just remake 'em. Now I notice my 'volume control' (you know, the one with all the master volumes in accessories>entertainment) is gone. I can't seem to find it on the drive at all either...any suggestions of how to reverse this? I distinctly remember only having 'windows messenger' ticked when I told the windows component wizard to remove. Maybe it did something unexpected? Anyways, any help appreciated.

[ 09-26-2005, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 09-26-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Sound and Audio Deices->Make sure "Place volume icon on taskbar" is checked.

btw, did you try Lavasoft Adaware and Spybot - Search and Destroy (try a google search for this, forgot the webpage)?
Old 09-26-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
Melcheor
Manshoon

Get a good virus scanner along with the suff ZFR mentioned. Back up important stuff quick! (BG2 savegames for instance...) Can never be too careful.
Melcheor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:14 PM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Well, when I did that and restarted I noticed I was missing things such as shortcuts on my toolbars and the IE shortcut was gone. I could live with that -just remake 'em. Now I notice my 'volume control' (you know, the one with all the master volumes in accessories>entertainment) is gone. I can't seem to find it on the drive at all either...any suggestions of how to reverse this? I distinctly remember only having 'windows messenger' ticked when I told the windows component wizard to remove. Maybe it did something unexpected? Anyways, any help appreciated.
At a guess, the Windows Messenger icon still exists?

And the way to avoid Bad Things: Firefox + Spybot SD + AVG Free. Uninstall whatever virus protector you have first, or things could go wrong. Forgo ad-aware, it isn't what it used to be.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thank you for the replies, guys. The earlier suggestions didn't work for me unfortunately but I finally found the solution here http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;319095

I still have some sort of trojan parading around and I can't seem to get rid of it. Norton picks it up as an IE hijack but always 'fails' when I try to remove it. Spybot and Adaware find it, seem to delete it and yet the process msmsgs.exe (I mispelled it earlier in my post) continues to boot up. If I 'end task' on it, it re-appears 5 minutes later. It is not windows messenger but (from what I read) a trojan disguised as one. Both MSN and Windows Messenger (the one in the startup services tab) are disabled and from its persistant behavior it acts like a virus or worm. Anyone heard of this one yet?

I even looked for certain registry keys recommended by Norton for manual deletion yet they weren't there, leading me to beleive that maybe this process is all that remains but is in effect, doing nothing. Still, it bugs me that its there : /.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:31 AM   #6
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

The below process usually works well.

1) Turn off System Restore
2) Boot into Safe Mode
3) Scan with AV and Spyware tools
4) Clear your Internet Temp Files.
5) Reboot

Cheers!
Old 09-27-2005, 03:07 AM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Not this time I'm afraid . I had done all that and still it persists. This is a tough one but I still have a few tricks to try hehe. Will keep ya posted.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:17 AM   #8
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Thank you for the replies, guys. The earlier suggestions didn't work for me unfortunately but I finally found the solution here http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;319095

I still have some sort of trojan parading around and I can't seem to get rid of it. Norton picks it up as an IE hijack but always 'fails' when I try to remove it. Spybot and Adaware find it, seem to delete it and yet the process msmsgs.exe (I mispelled it earlier in my post) continues to boot up. If I 'end task' on it, it re-appears 5 minutes later. It is not windows messenger but (from what I read) a trojan disguised as one. Both MSN and Windows Messenger (the one in the startup services tab) are disabled and from its persistant behavior it acts like a virus or worm. Anyone heard of this one yet?

I even looked for certain registry keys recommended by Norton for manual deletion yet they weren't there, leading me to beleive that maybe this process is all that remains but is in effect, doing nothing. Still, it bugs me that its there : /.
Norton antivirus? There's your problem. Replace it with AVG Free (linked above) - download AVG, uninstall Norton, install AVG, run AVG, watch problems disapear.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I finally cleared it up, found the correct regisry settings to delete and did so.

I take it you don't like Norton then? Are you saying AVG free would be better than NAV professional? If so I may just do that.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:17 PM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
I finally cleared it up, found the correct regisry settings to delete and did so.

I take it you don't like Norton then? Are you saying AVG free would be better than NAV professional? If so I may just do that.
NAV professional?
I have Norton Firewall/AV 'CE' (Corporate Edition) have not had any issues, and have been to some of the links that others have not returned from, without any issues.

Also, look at it his way. You get what you pay for! [img]graemlins/2cents.gif[/img]

--------------------

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote