Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-15-2001, 05:15 PM   #1
Inis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all, I am relatively new to this game, and am already addicted. I have one teensy little problem. The game goes on these fits wherein it will not let me rest, be it outside (ie., De'arnise stronghold) or in an inn/tavern. This is single player here. My party is not scattered or anything, I have ample gold to pay for a room or almost anything else for that matter. I am REALLY very curious as to why I sometimes get "you may not rest at this time" when I take my party into an inn and cluster them around the tavernkeeper, and try to rent a room. By the by, at these times, I also cannot save the game other than autosave of course. These phenomena make it extraordinarily difficult to move through the game with a mage leader and magic-based party, because of spells needing to be re-memorized.

Help?

Thanks,

Mage Inis
Old 11-15-2001, 05:24 PM   #2
Silk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi and Welcome!

I get this occasionally. I havent really figured y but wot i do is move a bit and then go back again. When ur inside sometimes it just wont let you. But either try again or move about a bit and try again??? if still no success then maybe look 4 a patch!
Old 11-15-2001, 05:25 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Hi Inis, welcome to Ironworks [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Yes, this is a bug. Ususally if you choose another type of room, ie if it happens when you want a peasant room, choose a merchant room, it should work. If that doesn't work, then I don't know.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:32 PM   #4
Skunk
Banned User

Maybe you just killed someone and the battle music is still playing? Then the game considers that battle to still be in process until the music stops.

Maybe you've just had a dialogue with an NPC and he's just walked off? The game considers you to be in dialogue mode until the NPC has completely dissappeared from the game (this is not the same as being out of sight). Just wait a few minutes and you will be allowed to sleep.

When you click on the sleep dialogue, you get no information why you are being dissallowed - so instead, try saving the game. If you are not allowed to sleep, then you will not be allowed to save. The difference however, is that if you try to save and are disallowed, you *will* be given a reason. This will be the same reason as to why you are not allowed to sleep...

Hope this helps
Old 11-15-2001, 05:35 PM   #5
Kaleban
Manshoon

Sometimes the game gets stuck in a certain "mode..."

For example:
An NPC approaches you to initiate dialogue.
You just killed some enemies.

The game will not let you save or leave the area, as a scripted sequence has begun which must be completed. For the most part, moving your PC around a bit will break the "script loop" and allow you to continue as normal. On slower processors/less memory/outdated equipment/bad BO/ this is a problem as the resources get tied up by the script. Just be patient.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:36 PM   #6
Ugaya
Manshoon

in an inn just click "rent" again after you got the message that you may not rest. In the Copper Coronet it only works this way for me.