Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hello folks. Recent posts have stirred me up to seeing a need to repost something that I believe I remember another moderator posting a good while back in regards to what moderators can / should / will / like to do on Ironworks. Many people are interested in this topic, usually because so many people would like the prestige of an IW moderator. Those are usually the newer members who have little or no idea what is happening on this side of the fence. Since it is a topic of interest, I am sure that nobody will mind if I start it again.

When I was called out to moderate the Role-playing forum for Ziroc on my birthday, the 13th of November in 2001, I had no idea what to do or how to do it. I made a lot of mistakes and usually made a lot of people angry at me. I had never been in a leadership position before and it showed. Many people were patient with me, and some were not. I've been doing this for four years and still feel that I could serve Ziroc better than I am. I may even be as good as Memnoch someday, but I'm not holding my breath.

Over these four years, I have been called out by my fellow mods who have helped me learn the right way to operate in this position, usually after I had done something wrong, or was too heavy-fisted for a minor infraction. What I learned can be easily written out into simple sentences.

• Do not over-police a forum. Allow some room for members to use their own common sense and correct their own mistakes and allow them time to aplogize without being prompted.
  • A moderator cannot read every post in every thread, so do not try. You have a life to live outside of these forums. Let the members make use of PM messaging or Report Post features to call your attention to a specific problem. A side note to that is that if nobody calls for help, then maybe the post is not as offencive as it appears, since nobody seems concerned with it. Therefore, refer back to point #1, do not over-police a forum.
  • Some members will blame you for all the troubles that can and will occur on your watch. Do not take offence to it. Step back and allow time to make a calm and sensible reply to those accusations. (Memnoch is a master at this.)
  • Referring back to point 2, do not make Ironworks your second home. Come here to enjoy the benefits of the forums, and have fun...and if there is moderating to do, then do it. Do not set your clock to 3am to wake up and come running in here to make sure everyone is being good because you know another mod is not online at that hour. Its not your responsibility to always be there all the time. Ziroc has tried to cover the time zones as best as he could with those that he trusts. If there is a gap or if somebody is sick that day and not online to help moderate...then so be it. We have a huge membership with dozens of potential moderators-in-the-making, and so the forums are relatively safe from trouble. On the average, only one trouble-maker comes along every three months. Its not worth the worry.
That's it for me. I am sure that my collegues will have something to add that they have learned for themselves, and maybe we can shed some light on this mystery as to what it takes to be a moderator but more importantly...how can a thread bypass our radars and get away with rude or inappropriate behavior right under our noses, and we not see it.

Quoting Cloudbringer on a post she made just a few moments ago...

Quote:
If you don't use it(Report Post), complaining that it wasn't dealt with is a moot point. If you report it and it isn't dealt with to your satisfaction, that may simply be because you and the mods/webmaster have a difference of opinion and that also happens.

What bothers most of us is when nobody reports a thread/post but then complains that the mods didn't do something.
For my part, I still overpolice the forums and am still more heavy in my rebuking than I should be. I also tend to jump into discussions and openly share my opinions, thus proving that I sometimes fall short from staying neutral. My interest is to keep this website happy, active, and the best place to be online and I do what I can to make that happen.

Feel free to PM me anytime, as my PM box is never full (except for that one time, but that won't happen again [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-20-2005, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 11-20-2005, 10:41 PM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Very well said mate. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:41 PM   #3
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Indeed.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:14 AM   #4
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Very well said Larry.

Being the newest Mod on the block was hard at first but with the Mod team helping me out it became eaisier, so I kinda know what you went through at first Larry.

I would like to echo one particular point
Quote:
A moderator cannot read every post in every thread, so do not try. You have a life to live outside of these forums. Let the members make use of PM messaging or Report Post features to call your attention to a specific problem. A side note to that is that if nobody calls for help, then maybe the post is not as offencive as it appears, since nobody seems concerned with it.
To any members ready this we do take report posts seriously and please use that function if necessary.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:55 AM   #5
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

So, as a member, what should we do? I mean, I appreciate that this thread was started and clarifies what you all do (and don't do [img]smile.gif[/img] ), but it seems that we as members need to be aware of some of the moderating things we need to do...

Stuff like hitting the "report post" button, sure, but that begs the question as to whether we should PM moderators or the offender. I guess it's all situational, though, with more serious offenses calling for a moderator's touch.

I'll make a note of these good ole things:
Gee whiz, they're rules and regulations

Just to be complete (after all, they have to be mentioned, despite the fact that they're at the top of the screen).

So, back to my question, which has been a little unclear at this point. How much moderating should we, the Ironworks public do? Opinions? Official stances?

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:58 AM   #6
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

From my position you don't need to PM us as the report post button will send us all an email even if we arn't on Ironworks.

If you see a thread that needs attention the fastest way to let us know would be to use the report post button.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Good question, Ilander. [img]smile.gif[/img] The short answer is just to use common sense when posting and reading. I know that sounds simple, and it really should be! But the longer version is- if you have to debate whether a post is appropriate maybe you shouldn't hit the send button or should check with someone; if you know the other party and feel their post was not appropriate, offensive/etc you can tell them directly (pm /email/im etc) or 'report post'; be helpful to newbies who may not have figured out all the ropes... basically simple things that make IW a better place to be.

One big one- if a thread is going to flames, don't add to it or bait anyone. Sometimes that is the hardest one to follow, I know, but it's a good one and followed by 'if you're irritated enough to flame, don't post!" [img]smile.gif[/img]

I guess sometimes we have to remind people (or let new ones know) that mods are here to help make the place a safer, more respectful place to post and hang out but nobody can be here 24/7 (and we aren't going to micro-manage things, nor do we want to!) so if you see something that gets you so offended/irritated/angry/hurt etc that you want to lash out or post flames or criticize mods for not dealing with it, remember that they may have seen it and not think the way you do OR may not have seen it and don't realize they need to intervene.

[ 11-21-2005, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 11-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Some things to remember, quoting from previous posts:

Ziroc

The General Conversation is more of a light-hearted Forum for people to chit-chat, meet new folks, talk about how their lives are going, the Cafe, and other great posts.

The Current Events Forum is...darker. Well, it allows the 'hotter' topics, which are: War, Abortion, Religion, and other discussions. But make no mistake, anyone that slanders/talks badly of ANY Country, their people/customs, creed, ect., they will loose their posting access to Ironworks.

* You may debate (No personal attacks and/or subtle jab's)

Memnoch

DON'T LEAVE IT PURELY TO THE MODERATORS TO CONTROL YOUR BEHAVIOUR.

Someone disagreeing with your opinion is NOT an offence - listening to other people's perspective can be very helpful because it will either a) change your viewpoint; or b) strengthen it. So don't come crying to us just because someone didn't agree with your opinion. It's up to you to convince them - or to be man/woman enough to be the first to extend your hand, shake and agree to disagree with them if you can't.

Larry

Quoting from an online dictionary...

Flame: An offensive or abusive message (Includes jokes)
Flame-war: A discussion consisting of a series of offensive or abusive messages
Flamebait: A provocative posting that deliberately tries to elicit flames

The question being asked by Ilander, "How much moderating should we, the Ironworks public do?"

My answer is to call on a moderator when you have already tried to resolve the problem yourself but with no positive results. We can step in and ask that a behavior code be remembered. This would involve things that members can actually do.

If a post needs to be immediately locked, deleted, or a person instantly banned from ever posting another word on IW...call us as soon as possible by whatever means available.

This is My answer to the question, and I recognize the fact that the other moderators may have a difference of opinion or a need to elaborate on what I have said.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:06 AM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I guess you guys have an easy job then, in all the years i've been here, i've hardly ever whitnessed an all out flamefest, such as i have seen on plenty of other boards, i guess we're just better people than the rest outthere.

I never hit the report button though, even when i saw somehing that kinda pissed me off. I dunno, i think that would kinda give me a feeling of the kid who always rats on his classmates so the teacher might like him better. *shrug*

99% of the time though, this place doesn't even need to be moderated, everyone seems to be okay with eachother.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:38 PM   #10
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Well, if you want some advice, when telling someone off, using hilarious images gets the point across, and makes it amusing to read EG:
[URL=http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=x1padjo0uco2h0g6yd1ulpkshzmtyp.jpg] [/URL

Edit- In all honesty, you guys are doing a kickass job. Keep up the good work.

[ 11-21-2005, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Sir Degrader ]
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote