Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2004, 11:57 PM   #1
SkyRanger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just finished this game for the first time. I chose to nuke the Dark Savant. I didn't expect it to turn out the HE was actually who he was. He was a lot easier to defeat than I thought he would be. But then my party was at level 20 - 23 by then and took him out without too much trouble in only a few rounds. Bela got in some good hits on the henchmen that DS spawned in, but Vi was useless outside the party. Virtually ALL of her attacks on DS were either "missed", or "No Damage", which was disappointing. I will say that it paid to work my mage up to high levels in magic. Missle Shield, Magic Screen, Armorplate, Enchanted Blade, along with Soul Shield, Heal All and the occasional Element Shield turned out to be life savers. My favorite spell of all though was Death Wish. I just loved nuking groups of 6 bad guys at a time with one shot. ROFL. And I had stocked up on plenty of bags of Resurrection Powder and Magic Nectar, so if I lost a party member or two along the way, it was no problem to bring them back. But again...great game. I have never played any of the other Wizardry games. This was my first and I loved it. A definite play it again game.
SkyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 04:06 AM   #2
Holywhippet
Dungeon Master

Even "incomplete" as it is, Wiz 8 was an excellent game. The fight against the Savant was about the only disappointment. He was too easy compared to what your party had to have been at that point in the game.
Holywhippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
SkyRanger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

True. I was half expecting a lot of killer spells, or major melee damage. But with the previously mentioned shield spells up, most of his stuff was deflected. It should have been the toughest battle of the game (I thought). Oh well, still a fun game
Old 05-31-2004, 07:34 PM   #4
babar
Manshoon

I finally got around to dragging Vi along to Ascend, and what does she do? She takes off all her clothes (well her armor anyway) and leaves my poor solo fairy ninja holding l15 lbs of junk.

As for combat, she got in a 5 hp mace hit on the Dark Savant.
babar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:02 AM   #5
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

I agree with Holywhippet. The final combat was much too easy.
I only had RFS-81 with me so I don't know about the bad fighting abilities of Vi. It's trange though, because at Lvl 23 with powerstrike and maxed weapon abilities, I thought she must be as good as a party member.

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]

P.S. If she stripped her clothes ( or armor ), I think the party members should fight bad, too

[ 06-01-2004, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: Loudhy ]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:52 PM   #6
SkyRanger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I only noticed that Vi was rather whimpy. Once I ran the party right into DS's face, the hits were decent from the rest of the crew. Although, I had a full party plus RFS-81 and Vi.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:45 PM   #7
Gadgeteer Tom
Dungeon Master

This time I worked hard on Vi's Mace abilitys - and she actually got in nearly 50% hits (nothing very impressive however...). I brought RFS-81 along too, cause he's cool...

But what I didn't get is : What happened AFTER I'd won and the dialog about the Cosmic Forge was nearly over - suddenly all of my party members were hit with 20+ damage (from what ?), a unison "Ugh! OOoof ! Ouch!", then completed gasme was saved...was the game just testing to make sure my characters had a reserve of HP ? (They were at 100% because of my Bard and Gadgeteer's healing alternating to assure that even Bela and Vi would be healed (she WAS mighty ungrateful for her fine Mirror Armour - which I couldn't use anyway since I had no Fighter or Lord).
So what hit the party ???
Old 06-21-2004, 06:26 PM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The floor. Perhaps you noticed that as the closing monologue of wondrous events drones on, your party begins wafting lightly into the upper reaches of the circle, maybe even the galaxy. Then for some reason, they often fall back down with a resounding crash and a chorus of "ouches". Why is unknown, and I've had games where that didn't happen. Also games where it did. It's just one of those Wiz 8 mysteries

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:49 AM   #9
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Its the same thing when you watch the rocket destroy the savant ship. Sometimes you end floating in the air, and fall back for some damage.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:49 AM   #10
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

I think, it's something like the "Peter Pan" effect. After you reached the circle or launched the rocket , wonderful thoughts are within you. Your Fairie uses his dust and you start levitating.
But suddenly reality strikes back and you fall down, receiving damage [img]smile.gif[/img] .

( I saw the film "Hook" yesterday )

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote