Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2001, 07:53 PM   #11
Hesperex

Thanks for posting that Moiraine, damn fine job you have done there, explaining the French politicle system. I am actually studying French politics from around 1789-1830 and British Politics from around 1800-1900. Pretty interesting stuff. The systems are quite different, more so than you might think considering the coutries proximity to each other and the influences they have had on each other over the past 1000 years or so. The French politicle system is loosly based around a missinterpreted version of the British politicle system and then the American politicle system is based around a missinterpretation of the French system. It's actually gets quite complex .....uuuurrkkk I'm far to tired for this right now.

Night all.

------------------

Master Assassin of the Holy Flame.
My website http://hesperex.8k.com

Old 03-20-2001, 07:50 AM   #12
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Very interesting Moiraine. I'm learning a lot by coming here!

I do wonder what the future will bring with such close elections... and with political parties everywhere being practically indistinguishable anymore.

------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup. (new member of TLH)
Old 03-20-2001, 08:25 AM   #13
Charean
Hathor

Hey Moiraine!

Wonderful Post!! Being in the States, yes, I get fed up with our system. I didn't think Clinton was too bad, just horribly indiscreet!!

Our country is way too puritan in too many respects - electing a gay president? I wish! It may be decades in the future...
I like the way the French are set up... for a long time I wondered why we didn't have a Prime Minister and a President - one for domestic and one for foreign issues. It makes a lot more sense than asking one man to do both - I have yet to see that done successfully!

I forwarded your post to my mother - we are both political hounds.

I hope your next few years are better than mine will be - we have the Village Idiot for Pres.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?
Wandering Joke of the Laughing Hyenas
Laughter can be a Mighty Weapon - when wielded with pizazz and accuracy! What Ho!!
Old 03-20-2001, 01:34 PM   #14
Moiraine
Anubis

Charean, seriously, the thing is, here in France we are fed up with political figures guilty of various kinds of corruption - sometimes it seems that it is impossible to find a honest politician. And spending public money for private benefits is something we French people can really not forgive. Bertrand Delanoé, as far as we know, seems to be a honest guy. He was not well known before being the candidate to the Paris mayorship. The fact that he is gay, then, does count for much in regards of the hopes for a good and honest gestion of the French capital. Anything to be rid of the "Chirac system" !
I am not voicing only my opinion there - I doen't see why the fact that he is gay should count at all. Poeple have the right to whatever private life they choose - as long as it is a free choice involving human adults only.

And, as for you having the dumbest President - well, I wouldn' say that, rather welcome to the club ! Because it seems to me that Chirac can compete for that 'title'. Chirac is the guy who restarted nuclear testing the year of the 50th anniversary of the Hiroshima bomb ... Chirac is the guy who dissolved an assembly of deputies that was at his side and managed to have a new assembly elected that was on the other side ... Chirac was the first President to send a congratulation telegram to Bush BEFORE the confusion started ... And Chirac was the guy who decided to choose another RPR candidate for Paris mayorship than his long-time deputy-mayor who was also the current Mayor, which contributed a great deal to the loss of the elections ... Want more ?

------------------
Old 03-21-2001, 04:57 AM   #15
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

bump
Old 03-25-2001, 03:01 AM   #16
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Reminding myself I need to reply I'm wallowing in shallow water at the moment. Don't want to get too deep.

------------------
Where were Hamlet and Horatio when I needed them?!

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 03-27-2001, 02:53 AM   #17
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Moiraine,

risking the danger of being rated a habitual offender: you are wonderful.

Your analysis of and report on the French municipal elections is thorough (from a German and perfectionist always the greatest compliment ) and insightful.

Im am a political animal myself, always very interested in the affairs of other countries: I am amazed by the fact how much the political trends/developments in different countries are alike and completely different at the same time.

In this case it is above all the role of the Greens that interests me: in Germany their rise to the status of an important force in the political arena began 5-10 years earlier than in France. They first managed to gain seats in the federal parliament already in '83 and to form part of a coaltion governing a state in Hessen in '85. But it took them much longer to get into the federal government, until '98, one year later than in France. And their political fate after that has been very different from the triumph of the French Greens in the municipal elections.
The Geman Greens have strung together an impressive series of major defeats in all state elections since becomimg a governing party that has to indulge into the not so fanciful art of compromise, especially as the junior partner in a coalition. This "reality check" did not sit well at all with the more ideological faction of their voters. The prevailing opinion in the German media nowadays is that their heyday, when they were considered the party of the youth and therefore of the future, has already passed and that they have become an one-generation party of the 35-55 years-olds. We shall see ...

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-27-2001, 03:17 AM   #18
Moiraine
Anubis

Thanks Ramon ! Gentleman as always !

I must go now (busy day tomorrow), but again, thanks !

------------------
Old 03-27-2001, 03:26 AM   #19
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Bonne nuit !

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts