Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 06-29-2003, 06:48 PM   #1
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I've noticed a problem with bard song and I'm wondering if anyone else has too. Sometime when I tell Eldoth to sing his little song, he sings away and we all get the little notes on our portraits. But I can see he's still using his crossbow and after a little while the notes go away, obviously because he's still using his weapon even though I haven't told him to. Occasionally I accidently get everyone to attack some person which includes him and the song goes away but this is when I haven't ordered him to do anything but sing and yet he attacks anyway. What's up with that?
Old 06-29-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
icelus
Manshoon

Is your AI on? He's probably assigned a script that has him attack whatever creature you come across. An attack order, whether given to him individually or to your group en masse, will override his order to sing...
[url]\"http://modlist.pocketplane.net\" target=\"_blank\">Infinity Engine Modlist</a> - Comprehensive, Interactive, and Up-to-date!<br />[url]\"http://www.pocketplane.net\" target=\"_blank\">Pocket Plane Group</a> and [url]\"http://www.gibberlings3.net\" target=\"_blank\">The Gibberlings Three</a> - your sources for quality IE mods
icelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:15 PM   #3
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Is the AI button on? At the bottom-right-hand corner of your screen should be two small buttons, right below the NPC portraits. If the button on the left is on (should be outlined in red if it is), the character is under the influence of their AI script. You can check a character's script under the information screen.

I don't know if Eldoth's script would do this, but I've had thieves stealthed or finding traps, and if the AI's on, they attack regardless. (Imoen does this.) Try turning off the button or changing Eldoth's AI script.

EDIT: Never do the dishes in the middle of posting. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 06-29-2003, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Pirengle ]
Old 06-29-2003, 10:04 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Yes that might be it... didn't think about AI (haven't played this for ages ). Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img] . Although he doesn't do it all the time [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img]

Still on bards, I'm a bit puzzled about their armour situation. Now when they're wearing leather armour, they can't cast their spells. But they can't wear mage robes. Do people have them just wearing nothing?
Old 06-29-2003, 10:35 PM   #5
icelus
Manshoon

A nude bard confuses the enemy with no saving throw. Better than BG2's jester

[url]\"http://modlist.pocketplane.net\" target=\"_blank\">Infinity Engine Modlist</a> - Comprehensive, Interactive, and Up-to-date!<br />[url]\"http://www.pocketplane.net\" target=\"_blank\">Pocket Plane Group</a> and [url]\"http://www.gibberlings3.net\" target=\"_blank\">The Gibberlings Three</a> - your sources for quality IE mods
icelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:28 AM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

News Flash: Bards SUCK in BG1. Yep, if you want to cast spells, your Bard's gotta be buck naked, or at least pretend that your Bracers of Defense will ward off those Black Talon Elites.

That's why those who use Bards try to go for quasi-combat spells: Have Garrick cast Stinking Cloud and Web from out of the enemy's sight range, then cast Mirror Image, slap his armor back on and charge in. Takes a lot longer than just having your Tank do everything, but at least his spellslots don't go to waste.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:52 PM   #7
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Yes he does seem to suck quite a bit... . Still I've never used a bard before so it's different anyway. His song does seem to help us in tough battles. Does the song improve with levels? I know it's not like in BG2 where it has different effects at different levels but does it like improve your luck by more at level 6 than 2 for instance?
Old 07-03-2003, 03:22 PM   #8
Raistlin Majere
Ra

err...does it have different effects at different levels in bg2? i thought only the kits effect the songs...

edit: aah yes, checked the manual and it indeed does get better.

[ 07-03-2003, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Raistlin Majere ]

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:29 PM   #9
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Thanks Raistlin [img]smile.gif[/img] . Doesn't bard song have different effects at different levels in BG2? Maybe I'm thinking of IWD2. Anyway. One of those I'm sure