Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 11-24-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Default Freeware!

Some time ago, I discovered that many of the games I played during my childhood are now freeware. Meaning: it's legal to pluck them from the internet. Although I usually still have the original games, this is not only easier, but the downloads have often been modified for XP and other modern operating systems. I'll post a list of my personal favorites. Feel free to do the same.

-System Shock 2
( http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=3924 )

If you've never played this first person RPG before, you're definately missing out on something. It's quite similar to Deus Ex.

-UFO: Enemy Unknown
( http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=4966 )

This is without a doubt one of the finest games in the history of the personal computer. In 'UFO: EU' (also known as UFO: Defender), you're in charge of an agency that protects the earth against alien incursions. You have to construct bases, capture aliens, research their technology and lead your men in battle.

-Transport Tycoon Deluxe (for windows)
( http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1631 )

There is more to this simple transport game than meets the eye. I played this day and night when I was young, and it still hasn't lost any of its charm. You're the chief of an all-round transport company. Build roads, airports and traintracks, and fill them with your own vehicles. Sabotaging the competition is optional.

Last edited by Dreamer128; 11-24-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
TheDutkanator

Default Re: Freeware!

Emulators that run ROMs are cool too. You can get ROMs for free all over the internet and if the one you download is for a system no longer being used for development, then it is legal. If games are still being developed for your system, then you can still download any ROM you want for free, but you are required to delete it from your system within 24 hours UNLESS you actually own a physical copy, then it's all good.

I like emu-paradise and emulation-nation.

I got a GBA emulator that runs GameBoy ROMs on my CELL PHONE!!

Nicolai Dutka
Game Developer
Archon Games (My Company)
My Website
My YouTube Channel
TheDutkanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Perplexed Re: Freeware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDutkanator View Post
Emulators that run ROMs are cool too. You can get ROMs for free all over the internet and if the one you download is for a system no longer being used for development, then it is legal. If games are still being developed for your system, then you can still download any ROM you want for free, but you are required to delete it from your system within 24 hours UNLESS you actually own a physical copy, then it's all good.

I like emu-paradise and emulation-nation.

I got a GBA emulator that runs GameBoy ROMs on my CELL PHONE!!
I really don't think it is legal. Where did you hear this? The developers should retain the copyrights to their work for at least 50 years (I think it's at least fifty, globally. In Finland it's 70) after the original creators have died, unless they specifically state otherwise.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Yeah it's illegal if you don't own the games yourself. Otherwise, it's perfectly fine. So these sites provide no illegal services.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
TheDutkanator

You better check with your local, state, and federal laws to be sure, but most older systems no longer in developement are, by default, considered abandonware, therefore are free. Check the disclaimers on sites offering free ROMs to find out specific information for the given ROM you are interested in to see if that one requires you to own the physical game cartridge or not. In any case, ALL ROM games are legal to have on your PC for up to 24 hours, so download, enjoy, and delete! (Hmm.. sounds like 'catch and release'... and strangely, the laws are about the same too.. lol)

Nicolai Dutka
Game Developer
Archon Games (My Company)
My Website
My YouTube Channel
TheDutkanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

True most sites will not even list protected titles i.e. mario sonic etc. If they do and they present themselves as legit, it's only a matter of time before it changes/they get shutdown.

But unless things have changed in the R&R we're technically supposed to avoid discussing ROMS and emulators due to their iffy nature.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
Trogdor
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrKASperov View Post
Yeah it's illegal if you don't own the games yourself. Otherwise, it's perfectly fine. So these sites provide no illegal services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant
Ermm...No...

This has been discussed many times, and it is NOT legal in most cases to play ROM's even if you own the original game.

Seeing as we are talking about Nintendo, here is the official Nintendo statement:
Link
Quote:
Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to obtain and play a Nintendo ROM
Fraid not

Shoop Da Whoop!
Linux - People aren't really interested in building their car from scratch either.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #8
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

In otherwords if there is any kind of copyright on the game in question it's a no go. If it's PD or public domain, all's fair.

Did I get that right? Please correct me if not.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote