Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Can somebody explain this?

I'm in the middle of a big debate about some DRM software, and in the troubleshooting guide on the official site, it says to disable your antivirus software before trying to run the game it's on. What's up with that?
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Default Re: Can somebody explain this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
I'm in the middle of a big debate about some DRM software, and in the troubleshooting guide on the official site, it says to disable your antivirus software before trying to run the game it's on. What's up with that?
You gotta be a little more specific than that dude, for starters....tell us more about the ongoing debate.

Secondly, there wouldn't happen to be any Russian softwaredeveloping companies involved here, wouldn't it?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Nope, it's with Atari, and it concerns SecuROM. I was doing a bit of research/link chasing, and every game site that had an issue with the DRM had the same stuff regarding generating a report. Part of it included attempting to troubleshoot on the client side, and included instructions to turn off any antivirus software. Now, my initial thought was "What is SecuROM trying to hide that it needs people to disable their anti-virus software to run/install a game?" Seems kinda strange to me.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Depending on the game and the system, disabling AV (and other TSR programs) may free up enough memory for the game to run properly. It's more of an issue with older games... in fact, it's one of the topics in the W&W Tech Tips thread.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Its generally to ensure that there are not any 3rd party applciations in the way. SecureROM see AV software as 3rd party since most AV software will scan the files as they are starting up.

Hell even nvidia Driver installation recommends to turn off AV software before installing.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
Depending on the game and the system, disabling AV (and other TSR programs) may free up enough memory for the game to run properly. It's more of an issue with older games... in fact, it's one of the topics in the W&W Tech Tips thread.
We're discussing this in regard to NWN 2, and the others, here Starwars Empire at War and Bioshock.

So, it's not old titles that are the problem, and it's not always going to be a memory issue either.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-D-C View Post
Its generally to ensure that there are not any 3rd party applciations in the way. SecureROM see AV software as 3rd party since most AV software will scan the files as they are starting up.

Hell even nvidia Driver installation recommends to turn off AV software before installing.
Yeah, I just remembered about that, however, my nVidia drivers won't prohibit me from running a game if my AV software is on.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Hahaha yea that does seem suspect. Hahaha its like mcdonalds askin for your soc. before they giv u your burger.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:39 PM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

A different approach. A good AV will auto-scan program files during install. A good AV will check the arrangement of associated files within the program. Some 'programs' algorithms fall suspect to a good AV as what it is telling it. IE..Make contact with host vendor to mandate registration, check for updates, yada, yada. Most of the free stuff meets these minimal executions, and therefore you must acknowledge the new releases as user warranted. New products come with their instructions to turn it off to prevent a bad install or warning install.

A finer line azimuth: An excellent AV will pre-scan program files you want to install, then halt install because 'it' sense's something askew. Furthermore, an excellent AV will pre-scan the associated files, and again will halt install until you again manually override. These are the installs that go corrupt, and make for a bad day for everyone involved.

If you trust the program, then trust to turn your AV off. If you question the product, they by all means run a manual scan of the package prior to install.

Lastly, 'most' new software nowadays 'require' an internet connection! Contact with the mother ship is mandatory, that is also why some products ask that all 3rd party to be turned off.

And you thought "Big Brother" was bad because he wanted access to monitor phone calls for national security, and here you are willingly giving your right to protection away to of all entities, a software developer, and hopefully not one from Russia, The Balkans, of Africa!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:24 AM   #10
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Gods forbid you want to play your game online, since some will have to disable their AV to do so.