Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-16-2001, 09:57 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I cant really decide which skill for Jan to increase He's alright with pickpocket, disarm, lockpick. I'm incresing hideinshadows+movesilently for some time. His set trap skill is 5. is it useful?? (I though that only yoshi's traps are useful)

------------------

"Not for your eyes only, also for your beautiful ears.."

Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan "Diamond Guardian of Aerie Lovers Sacred Band"
Old 09-16-2001, 10:26 PM   #2
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

Hell no, give him some points in that trap setting if you plan to keep him. As he goes up in levels his damage increases, depending on how many you set, I've seen each trap do from 10 to 20 points of damage, very usefull for leading foes into.

------------------
To quote the pestering peasant, Neeber, of tradesmeet: "I killed a rabid rabbit! I'm experienced, now!"
Old 09-16-2001, 11:02 PM   #3
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I always start adding points to Jan's set traps ability the moment I get him. The traps are really good! Haven't tried moving silently or hide in shadows (for the latter, I'd rather wait till Minsc gets it naturally due to his ranger abilities).

Jan is easily the most useful and adorable NPC

Wait till Jan gets the spike trap ability...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

it dealt 70+ pts of damage.

Old 09-17-2001, 02:45 AM   #4
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

the whole point of hide in shadows or move silently is to backstab, so for minsc (who can't backstab) its sorta useless. It also doesn't work with higher than studded leather armor (which he will be wearing). I guess you could give him weaker armor and use it to scout ahead, though.

But, for Jan, set traps is probably the way to go (after find traps and lockpick), because even with a 5x backstab modifier he will never to huge backstab damage. And if you really must backstab with him, drink a invis potion or use the once-a-day invis ring.
Old 09-17-2001, 09:13 AM   #5
Charlander
Dungeon Master

Quote:
...the whole point of hide in shadows or move silently is to backstab...
I agree. I have Yoshimo in my party and i increased his hideinshadows, movesilently, disarm and lockpick abilities. I'm able to sneak up behind a foe and cause up to 88 points of damage!!! (backstab*4)

I say: Don't spend your points on the set traps skill or the pickpocket (If you've got Yoshimo)

------------------
...and he walked the earth for centuries, slaying creaturs of the underworld...
-Charlander
Old 09-17-2001, 04:53 PM   #6
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

I find pickpocketing generally a waste of points. It might help early in the game, when you need coin, but by chapter 3 I have enough cash to basically buy most anything I want (don't really need to buy that much, though). And if I need to pickpocket a specific character for an item, just use the gloves of pickpocketing and a few potions of master thievery.
Old 09-17-2001, 06:41 PM   #7
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

If you don't have Keldorn, detect illusion can be pretty good. Traps are good, but only useful under certain cirumstances. Backstabbing, on the other hand, is fun for the whole family. Useful under all but the most adverse conditions. To get those mages though, you have to increase the move silent ability also. As a matter of fact, it's more important since you can't use potions to overcome being noisy.
Old 09-18-2001, 06:50 AM   #8
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Yep, spike trap is a great abilitiy.But my skill points in set trap does not effect "spike trap" ability right? (So maybe I dont have to waste my skill points on set trap if I'll use only special ability traps?)

------------------
"Not for your eyes only, also for your beautiful ears.."

Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan "Diamond Fighter of Aerie Lovers Sacred Band"