Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2002, 02:08 PM   #21
MagiK

[quote]Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy:
[qb]
That makes me divine, and you too. And if more of us thought this way, and lived as though it were true, maybe we'd be ripping each other apart a little less. Doesn't seem to me that a belief in 'god' has accomplished that much, so far. When sacred is located somewhere up in the heavens, rather than than in global humankind, - well, you've got problems, in my view. Time we evolved some beliefs that might actually serve us.
I do actually agree with you on the all encompasing divinity thing, I do however believe that some parts must on occasion be excised from the whole to be reborn in a ....more beneficial form, aka Criminals and Rabid dogs [img]smile.gif[/img]

All creatures do deserve to be treated with dignity and respect and if suffering should be released from said suffering in the quickest most humane method possible.

EDIT: Hey!! I just noticed [img]smile.gif[/img] Im no longer an Emerald Dragon [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-19-2002, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 04-19-2002, 02:16 PM   #22
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

[/qb][/QUOTE]This may be a wild idea to some. Who's to say that evolution wasn't the very tool god used to create us? Time is nothing to god. It's meaningless to him as it's only a perception we hold in our physical universe because of the make up of our physical bodies. Adam and Eve could very well have been the first two humans to have had souls as his children. Their bodies and the animals created by the process of evolvement. By the wonderous machine god created that is our planet and the physical universe. It's possible just like a million other things are. I like it though.QB][/QUOTE]

Not a wild idea at all! It's held by the majority of Christians in the UK. Not sure what you mean by 'the first two humans to have has souls as his children'. So are you saying that the creatures that gave birth to Adam and Eve might not have had souls then? Don't understand the reasoning here.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:20 PM   #23
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Science and religion are NOT mutually exclusive, science still has to figure out what binds the cores of atoms together. God perhaps?
It's called the "strong" force; its action is more powerful than any other form of energy known but it has the shortest range of effect. The nucleus of an atom is a cloud of heavy particles (protons and neutrons) with a cloud of pions (which have either + or - charge and no relativisitc mass) that exchange charge between protons and neutrons. Also, since atoms are everywhere, this force is everywhere.

The most powerful energy that exists everywhere? Sure sounds like God. Anyway....

Sir Kenyth is on the right track. The average height of Americans has increased steadily over the past 150 years; we're all getting taller, on average. I think this applies to people everywhere, too. A current, ongoing evolutionary process? Perhaps.

And Neb--yes, they can both be true. The real failing on both sides has always been the thinking that "only my way is right; your way is wrong" and both sides citing proof that their way is right. Nowhere in any religious text does God say "Evolution has never and will never happen." Since He didn't say it can't happen, then couldn't it happen?

Both are just ways for people to answer the question "How did we get here?" Creationism, at least, has the benefit of having an answer to that question; science is still looking for one. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:37 PM   #24
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Science and religion are NOT mutually exclusive, science still has to figure out what binds the cores of atoms together. God perhaps?
It's called the "strong" force; its action is more powerful than any other form of energy known but it has the shortest range of effect. The nucleus of an atom is a cloud of heavy particles (protons and neutrons) with a cloud of pions (which have either + or - charge and no relativisitc mass) that exchange charge between protons and neutrons. Also, since atoms are everywhere, this force is everywhere.

The most powerful energy that exists everywhere? Sure sounds like God. Anyway....

Sir Kenyth is on the right track. The average height of Americans has increased steadily over the past 150 years; we're all getting taller, on average. I think this applies to people everywhere, too. A current, ongoing evolutionary process? Perhaps.

And Neb--yes, they can both be true. The real failing on both sides has always been the thinking that "only my way is right; your way is wrong" and both sides citing proof that their way is right. Nowhere in any religious text does God say "Evolution has never and will never happen." Since He didn't say it can't happen, then couldn't it happen?

Both are just ways for people to answer the question "How did we get here?" Creationism, at least, has the benefit of having an answer to that question; science is still looking for one. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Sorry, creationism doesn't have any more of an 'answer' to the question than science. The big hole in the god theory (if we are taking the rational approach) is that the only 'proof' that god created the earth lies in books which were written by men. I don't see how that constitutes proof? Not that it really matters. However we got here, we're here.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:06 PM   #25
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Well if you want to look at it that way science in some cases can defined as the process through which humans understand god (the life around them). Science has come to prove many THEORIES that religion held, like the energy flow through the human body for example. On the subject of theories you must rember that electricity is still a theory we can't prove it exists mathmatically or scientificly but we can prove how it reacts under certain cercimstances like if you pass it through a circut it will do this (the bases of computers).
Old 04-19-2002, 03:15 PM   #26
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yeah, the thing about the height is certainly true, back a few hundreds of years ago in England the average height was quite a few inches shorter.
Also, Most of the evolution that science looks at today happened a long time ago, and by evolving we adapted to the new environment, and as of yet there have been no drastic changes we have had to adapt to.
Maybe we will do next time a big change comes around.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:30 PM   #27
Sorcerer Alex

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
If there is any religion I feel is at all feasable, it is Bahai. I've taken some time out to do a bit of research on it and it certainly does seem to make sense.
Where does Bahi originate? Never heard of it or seen it referenced...Being the curious person that I am, I like to learn new things [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]It's a relatively new religion, about 150 years old, and it maintains the belief that all of the world's so called 'founders of religion' (Krishna, Zoroastro, Buddha, Christ, Muhammad, Il Bab and Bahaullah) are actually all messengers from the same God. I've found a few minor flaws here and there, or at least parts to the religion that aren't properly explained, but it certainly has a few interesting and quite revolutionary ideas [img]smile.gif[/img]

www.bahai.org

Old 04-19-2002, 03:36 PM   #28
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

It has been theorized that the reason we are taller is due to the abundance of food and adequate nutrition available to us since birth these days. This theory would mean we are just reaching our maximum physical size potential more often than not. Then again, maybe we are evolving to a larger size to accomodate the fact that there is plenty of food. Then again, you've got crazies who think that the leftovers of bovine growth horomones in our milk is causing it (among other things). The fact that our wisdom teeth are disappearing is fascinating though. I personally only had three and thought that was weird.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:38 PM   #29
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Heh.. I have a friend who's Bahi, what a coincedence!!
Old 04-19-2002, 03:50 PM   #30
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

[quote]Originally posted by Alexander:
[QB]
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
[qb] There is also Newton's Theory of Gravitational Attraction, but of course no one disputes that.
Because it's called the LAW of gravity.

http://www.hughwilson.com