Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
NobleNick
Quintesson

Arrow

Three questions for someone in the know ('cause I just discovered a certain room in Lower Dorn's and have an immediate need to know):

1.) What are the resistances/immunities of earth and water elementals? (100% resistant to slashing? 75% resistant to slashing? Resistant to piercing? Arrows don't seem to hurt these guys either... The only thing I know of so far that will touch them is highly imbued crushing weapons. Is there anything else?)

2.) Is there a difference in resistances between the following three: The enemy earth/water elementals I am facing now; the summoned ones I should be able to conjure up later; and the druid shapeshift?

3.) how long can the druid hold his shapeshift? I know you can shift only once per day. That is not the question. The question is: Once shifted, how long before you are forced back into human form?

Thanks!

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!

[ 07-28-2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:17 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Don't have the total answers but here's what little I know -

1) Each of the elemental SHOULD have 100% resistance to their own attack form - (i.e. fire for the fire elementals) but should be susceptible to other elemental forms of damage. I think that all forms of weapons SHOULD do damage provided they have sufficient magical enhancements. I don't believe that the elementals are 100% resistant to any form of attack - but this is purely from memory and I could be WAY off base.

2) I believe that summoned monsters are "nerfed" slightly in HoF mode (I KNOW that they are in IWD2) - but I don't know if the alterations extend beyond HP's, attack modifiers and damage. The shapeshift forms should be IDENTICAL to elementals of the exact number of hp's and I believe that summoned (except as noted above) elementals are identical to the other two forms in all regards.

3) Sorry but can't find info how long the shapechange lasts. My guess is that it will last either 8 or 24 hours. Let me ask a friend who plays druids a lot. [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Word from my friend is that as far as he remembers the shape change is of indefinite duration - i.e. it remains until you switch to another form. He can't recall if resting will cause a reversion of form or not.

[ 07-30-2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:40 PM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

Arrow

Thanks for the info, Micah!

I know that resting does not automatically turn you back to human form; and I THINK I went over 24 hours as a fire elemental. That is what prompted my question: "Well then, WHAT does make you turn back?"

I thought I had heard on this forum that water (or was it earth?) elementals were totally immune to slashing attacks; and it certainly appeared that the ones I met (of both types) were immune or highly resistant to mine. But I don't know if it was a weapon type limitation or not a high enough THAC0 bonus on the weap.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 11:15 AM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
Thanks for the info, Micah!

I know that resting does not automatically turn you back to human form; and I THINK I went over 24 hours as a fire elemental. That is what prompted my question: "Well then, WHAT does make you turn back?"

I thought I had heard on this forum that water (or was it earth?) elementals were totally immune to slashing attacks; and it certainly appeared that the ones I met (of both types) were immune or highly resistant to mine. But I don't know if it was a weapon type limitation or not a high enough THAC0 bonus on the weap.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
Both the Earth and Water Elemental shape shifted forms seem to be 100% immune to slashing, piercing still does damage to you. ex Drowned dead will do no damage to you. The summoned and regular elementals do take slashing damage but only minor damage so crushing damage is best. So there do seem to be perks to the shape shifted elementals.

As far as I know you can travel through the entire game with your druid in one form or another, the only thing changing you is your own will to be human again.

[ 08-01-2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 10:20 AM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

A quick check shows that the druid polymorph lasts for a time of 3,600,000, which is about 500 days. Even if you play in HoF mode and take your time doing all possible quests you probably wouldn't go past 150 days, so the polymorph "running out" isn't a problem. Also, since the polymorph is flagged as "non-dispellable", the only problem might be having Anti-Magic Shell cast upon you.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote