Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2003, 10:27 PM   #1
Shadowbane
Dungeon Master

Is this guy invincible? I wanted Renal Bloodscalp's boots, so I had Jan pickpocket him and fail in order to get them to attack. Out comes Arkanis and his one hit kills.

I had him at "Near Death" for the longest time and was throwing everything I had at him (summons, ADHW's, missile weapons). Only he and Bloodscalp remained, but I was focusing on Arkanis because of his deadly hits. The bloody bastard wouldn't go down! Eventually he found a way around my summons and rushed my character. Over, it was. How do I drop this psycho?
Shadowbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 10:29 PM   #2
Buster_Wiz
Dungeon Master

well, only one real way is shapechange mindflayer and int drain, but this is a moot point in a patched game because he will respawn and attack again. You may want to try and feeblemind all the pirates (including Renal) and then kill bloodscalp. I hear this does not trigger Gath

[ 03-02-2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Buster_Wiz ]
Buster_Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:55 AM   #3
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

This version of Arkanis Gath is near invincible because you're not supposed to kill/make enemies with Aran Linvail at this point - it messes up the story. If you really want his boots, an easier way is to .............
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
side with Bodhi. She'll eventually send you after Linvail, and the version of Arkanis Gath which spawns is not nearly as tough.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:18 AM   #4
Shadowbane
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the tips guys. The only problem with siding with Bodhi is that I'm already in Chapter 6 and have sided with The Shadow Thieves. They are all thanking me for....... *SPOILERS*

taking out Bodhi for good. I just thought I'd pick up all those boots before I head into Suldanesselar and hunt down Irenicus. I take it the Feeblemind option is the only one available if you don't want Arkanis to appear? There are quite a few thieves surrounding Renal. I'll need to memorize a lot of them...
Old 03-03-2003, 01:23 AM   #5
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

I believe it's the only option if you really have to have those boots.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:34 AM   #6
Shadowbane
Dungeon Master

I don't really need them, but it'd be nice to have my entire party hasted after my transition into ToB. I like having the full 6 guys in my group at all times too.... so I'm kinda forced to get one from Renal if I want them all. Shucks.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:08 AM   #7
Radek
Red Dragon

You cannot get the boots by siding with Bodhi! You cannot get the boots by pickpocketing Renald!
When you accept Bodhi's offer, Renald Bloodscalp is removed from the game. The whole map of the Shadow Thieves HQ changes. No Renald - no boots. Aran Linvail does not have them.
It is possible to pickpocket Renhald Bloodscalp with enough high skill (above 200) but you get a few useless trinklets and nothing more. No boots.
The only way to the boots is killing Renald Bloodscalp while he is still present in the game, i.e., before you accept Bodhi's offer. AFAIK, you cannot kill Renald by a weapon, he has a "1 HP" item. The only way of getting him down is INT draining while you are shapeshifted to a mind flayer.

Therefore, the only "legitimate" way of getting the boots is the following:
1. Play a solo sorcerer or, perhaps, a party of two: sorcerer + someclass. Have the XP cap remover installed so that your sorcerer gets level 9 spells enough soon.
2. Feeblemind the whole "floor" with Renald in the thieves HQ.
3. Shapeshift to a mind flayer and kill Renald by INT draining.
Let us note that the "legitimate" way is pure nonsense. There are two pairs of the boots in the game so that a solo character or a party of two has no reason to do such things. A party of three will reach the necessary level for level 9 spells in the Underdark, i.e., too late.
Summary: even if it is possible to get the boots, getting the boots is either nonsense (solo character or a party of two) or it needs cheating. If you decide to cheat, you can cheat the boots directly - cheating the boots is the same as cheating anything else (level 9 scrolls, for example). You need not make your life difficult.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:38 AM   #8
Tyrion
Quintesson

what boots are we talking about?
What are it's stats?
Old 03-03-2003, 08:49 AM   #9
Brennihelvete

yes what boots? Boots of speed? If so I wouldnt even bother going trough all that!
Old 03-03-2003, 08:54 AM   #10
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrion:
what boots are we talking about?
What are it's stats?
I believe they are talking about the third pair of "Boots of Speed".

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote