Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 11-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #21
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

New drivers? They worked wonders for me.

anyway, if it is the drivers like many people have shown, it's not even obsidian's fault! [img]redface.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #22
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by DraconisRex:
quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Guess what, I'm getting 6fps for this game - and that's just walking around doing nothing.
Yeah i'm about 20-30 fps. The game needs some serious work, and I have decided i'm gonna wait it out before experincing the OC in this horrid manner. I'm not wishing for miracles, just a camera adjustment and some UI changes. I can't play this game right now without becoming frustrated with the controls. The camera is a dizzying mess of directionless wandering, mixed in with character AI that would make the AI in the unpatched version of Baldurs Gate 1 look good. [/QUOTE]My questions are: Have you gone to the options and tried the different camera settings? Including changing the turn rate?

I slowed the turn rate down quite a bit and that has been an amazing change. I still have troubles with the ANGLE changing when I mouse to the top and bottom of my screen. This isn't the only game I own that does that. It's just that I keep having MY expectations from the other games influencing what I do with THIS game. OTOH, the camera work for NWN2 is already superior to initial release NWN1 and I'm pefectly sure I'll get used to it.
[/QUOTE]Yeah I messed around with the speeds till I was blue in the face. I checked camerafollowalways in the .ini and currently use driving mode + a mod that remaps the mouse controls (yes, you can't do a simple thing like that in options).

I do admit it is about expectations and since I am a gamer I can't help but play the most current games when they are released. It is hard to play a brand new game and be expected to forget what any games have done in the last 5-6 years in terms of controls, UI etc. Obviously, it is lack of thorough testing, Q&A and overall lack of research. I would have empathy if this was some revolutionary title by a new company but they have done all this before and learned nothing. It is the sequal to a game (their choice to add "2") and is backed by Atari who gave them the rights to the first game. They have access to tons of resources but didn't use them. They camp their official forums on Biowares space for gods sake. I am more inclined to blame Atari for this than I am Obsidian...I get the feeling they meant well but it didn't pan out.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #23
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
I'm enjoying the game, (and it patched fine on my DVD version), but it's just so SLOW. I have an Athlon X2 3800+, 2 GB of RAM and a 7900 GT... Yet the frame rate is less than 30, with all settings turned off, at 1280 x 1024.

Now I can understand that the 7900 GT isn't bleeding edge anymore, but come on!? If I enable ANY settings, the game becomes almost unplayable, at 10-15 FPS, and even on the max settings, it's not like the game is beautiful.

I also tried the game on my laptop, a Sony Vaio with the Core Duo T2400 (1.83 GHz), 1 GB of RAM, and a GeForce Go 7400, and it simply cannot run. At 800 x 600, with all details off, and every option at its lowest setting, the game is still too jerky and unresponsive to play. Now this laptop wasn't ever going to be a powerhouse gaming machine, but it should be able to play it at some level shouldn't it?
It is a video card hog but your frames shouldn't be that low with a 7900gt. It is still, IMHO a pretty top-line card. My 7600gt system runs better than that -even my 6800 system does. Try bring everything down to minumum first and run at 1024 x rez. Make SURE antialiasing and antisoptric filtering isn't forced on in your Nvidia tab. Dump Bloom for testing purposes too. Kill what you can, water shaders, water effects, set shadows to "none" etc. The game doesn't really change that much even with most settings maxed. Just don't hit that setting that makes the game look all pixelated and horrible when you select "None". Leave it at "Point". Test your frames this way and see what you get.

Understand, I am going by your report that your frames stay under 30fps always. If you have a steady 30fps or above most of the time that isn't a bad framerate and would sound about right. In large battles with spells going off you can expect a drop. This game is poorly coded or something, we're still not certain.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #24
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

I installed the new drivers this morning, and the difference it has made is massive. I'm now getting 20 to 30 outside with everything maxed. Haven't been in a battle yet, so I'll probably need to turn it down, but even so, a huge improvement.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #25
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

So it probably is driver related?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #26
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

The driver has definitely improved performance, but I'm still getting far fewer frames per second than is warranted by the graphics quality.

Edit: Yuck... quintesson

[ 11-09-2006, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Callum ]
Old 11-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #27
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

The current Nvidia drivers were (I think) released for NWN's 2 since it has the Nvidia logo on the startup of the game and they came out just with it's release. Mess around with the settings and see what you need and see what you can lose for extra fps. A steady 20-30 with all maxxed is excellent and about where the 7900 gt should be. Like you already know, big battles will pull you down..drop shadows and lights a bit, dump water refraction and you will buy yourself 20+ fps.

I would wager the far fewer frames is about right also. (see countless bitching posts about bad coding). It runs okay but could run better. Hopefully they will optimize it soon. For now, do like the rest of us and try ignore it and get through the OC : /
Old 11-10-2006, 12:03 AM   #28
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Oh I am

I'm loving it! But where's the fun in actually enjoying a game? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #29
DraconisRex

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
I'm enjoying the game, (and it patched fine on my DVD version), but it's just so SLOW. I have an Athlon X2 3800+, 2 GB of RAM and a 7900 GT... Yet the frame rate is less than 30, with all settings turned off, at 1280 x 1024.

Now I can understand that the 7900 GT isn't bleeding edge anymore, but come on!? If I enable ANY settings, the game becomes almost unplayable, at 10-15 FPS, and even on the max settings, it's not like the game is beautiful.

I also tried the game on my laptop, a Sony Vaio with the Core Duo T2400 (1.83 GHz), 1 GB of RAM, and a GeForce Go 7400, and it simply cannot run. At 800 x 600, with all details off, and every option at its lowest setting, the game is still too jerky and unresponsive to play. Now this laptop wasn't ever going to be a powerhouse gaming machine, but it should be able to play it at some level shouldn't it?
I run a GeForce 6800 and, for a while, had it at 1280 x 1024 without your problems. Of course, I've got a card with 512MB of memory, while most cards come with 256MB of memory. And the performance increase you achieve with higher on-card memory is huge.

I had to change back to a larger resolution because, being older, I'm farsighted and struggle to read those itty-bitty fonts in the higher resolutions, and I'll be damned if I'm going to wear bi-focals to play a game.

BTW, how do you turn on the FPS indicator in NWN2?
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #30
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

I use FRAPS, so I couldn't tell you I'm afraid.