Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 12-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Woodwose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sad The Mavin- ... nail-file

Okay, finally i found the mavin-sword. i expected it to be the super-duper-weapon. But the sword of Argus, which i already have, is definitely better. I'm a bit disappointed.
Woodwose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Default Re: The Mavin- ... nail-file

I quite agree. If it were the only weapon that could be imbued with the Black Fire and thus be the only weapon that could defeat Cet, it would still be pretty impressive. But even that is not so.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Yep... the Mavin is definitely no +5 Holy Avenger sword I personally prefer a Nightblade, blessed to Damage +12 or +14... or a Wizardsblade, blessed similary. IIRC, the Mavin doesn't accept blessings, either... way disappointing

Not Robinswords, though... they take damage far too easily. I've lost 8-10% after just a single battle... and man, is that costly!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Not to mention, you won't be consumed by the so called mavin's wrath when you used it indescriminately. So much for trying to scare people with the mavin's lore.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:37 AM   #5
Radek
Red Dragon

The Mavin is $#@&. Yes, it cannot be enchanted. Yes, there are plenty weapons around that are much better than the Mavin. Yes, it is heavy and it consumes a lot of space in your inventory. Nevertheless, only the Mavin and/or the Staff of Power (which you get later and which is also nothing to write home about) can hit Cet. Nothing else can hit him, including spells.
Therefore, keep the Mavin. If you have "mules" in the inn then pass it to them for now.
A note about a nasty trap related to the Mavin: You will fight Cet at the end of the game, in the Pyramid. It's there where you will initiate the Mavin in the Black Fire. You must do it before you enter Cet's chamber! Once you enter the chamber, the door behind you will lock and you won't be able to initiate the sword. The game is lost because only initiated Mavin (or Staff of Power) is useful against Cet.
Another note: Mavin can be used by anybody, including thieves, wizards or warlocks. If you do not have a suitable wepaon for them then give them the Mavin. It's still better than Witch's Stick.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
Shadow Stranger

It might be possible to edit D6Item.dat to make the Mavin more interesting, so far I have only decrypted the item types.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Wouldn't surprise me if you could hex-edit the Mavin into something more interesting. I know I did that with the Assassin's Dagger and came out with interesting changes. At this point I don't recall the things that I did try.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:27 AM   #8
Shadow Stranger

The Mavin really fails to perform, editing is long overdue.
Edit: It also makes for a massive plot - hole at the end, why would anyone bother taking this sword anywhere? Anephas takes it to the heavens, not to the nearest rubbish dump or recycling center.

Decrypting D6Item.dat, the state of play is that there are 284 columns per item listing. 44 contain the identified and unidentified names. 146 are empty, that leaves 94. I am confident that I understand at least twenty of them. Which leaves a bit of work to do.

The first line of D6Item.dat contains the number of items: 857. Might it be possible to create more? I don't know.

Edit: item creation is really simple enough, see other posts by me.
The Mavin could be given a whole lot more power quite easily, but that would make the final fight with Cet a walkover. Unless Cet was edited to increase his power proportionately.

Last edited by Shadow Stranger; 12-29-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote