Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-24-2004, 03:08 AM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

Help is needed good folk of Ironworks. I'm thinking of getting an Electronic keyboard for my children this christmas (they take piano lessons) I dont want something cheap and nasty or something too profesional or expensive. I do want it to be used for a long time without getting annoyed at rubbish sound / feel quality. What should I be looking for?

MIDI / PC conections are a must i guess but I worry about things being outdated within a few years.

Touch Sensitive Keys, are they important for Synths?

Software packages

Number of keys on the keyboard, some expensive Yamaha ones are 61 keys and some cheap Casio ones are 88 (I know bugger all about keyboards [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] )

Thanks in advance

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-24-2004, 06:56 AM   #2
philip
Galvatron

I don't know much cause I only have a casio keyboard which is good for me cause I don't play a lot but the sound is less than on a more expensive one.

Go for touch-sensitive keys! There can be a huge difference in the pressure you have to apply on a keyboard and a piano. If your kids are taking piano lessons I'd take one with and never put it off. Keyboards make you lazy in this case, if I play piano now I have to push a lot harder or I'll miss notes, but I guess it's easier to play faster on a keyboard with non-sensitive keys though I suspect that's just about how much work you do for it cause I hear people playing a lot faster on piano than I can on my keyboard.

Further you should look at if you want background melodies and if they're good for what you want. The thing I really miss on my keyboard is a good rhythm you can use as metronome. Most rhythms have extra drums in it and the ones with just hi-hats aren't loud enough so at times I can't really hear them but I'm trying to learn counting the rhythm with my feet now. Also make sure the sound of the different instruments are OK. I don't know how much the difference in price is between keyboards with lots of instruments and with less but a lot of the instruments are barely used (less if you only use it for piano lessons, I only use piano, church organ and at times a drum set to practice my fingers and some instruments just don't sound right my distorted guitar sounds like a sax for example)

For piano lessons a real must is look at the number of keys. Keyboards have less than pianos most of the time so they miss octaves. I don't know how it works exactly though.

I think it's rather hard to say what's professional. I'd say don't get something synthesizer like which don't have inbuilt boxes. I think good brands are technics (played on that at my teacher's) and roland was supposed to be good a few years ago but I don't really know if they still are. The best way to find that out is in a shop I think.

They can probably tell you there about connecting it to your PC and options.

I don't know how prices compare but if you only use it for piano then you might check out an electric piano. Depending on how you play keyboards it can be completely different from piano and it's the question will you need a rhythm, different instruments, pitch stuff, automatic chords and other options like chords that you only have to hit once and then it will remember till you hit another (seriously put this option off it's really bad for your left hand playing) electric pianos might not have midi and pc connection though.

I don't know how old your kids are but you might want to avoid a too 'happy' look, like with lots of colours. I have one of those and now I'm older and the new thing is off it and I hate the looks (red and green text all kind of different color buttons) But that's personal as well.

That's all I can think of at the moment but I might be back later! Think about what you need well though and compare a lot. For some brands you'd better watch out for the cheapest models.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:31 AM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

Philip! Good on ya!

Thankyou for a very indepth response, and thank you for the time taken [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I will certainly take your advice on touch-sensitive keys as well as many other points you make.

Further question. What is the differance between MIDI and general MIDI? also is the amount of ROM an issue?

Old 11-24-2004, 09:04 AM   #4
philip
Galvatron

MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface which is a standard around the world for digital signals and connections that make it possible to exchange data between instruments and computers that are fabricated by different factories.

General MIDI standardizes MIDI data for all types of musical instruments. This gives that every instrument sounds the same despite having different factories make instruments. Further my manual says that this is on my keyboard so it can use music that has been played by someone else that you can buy in a shop.

Hope that's clear [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2004, 06:01 PM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

Forgive this obvious "BUMP" just so any more of Ironworks wandering minstrals can offer thier advice for brand / models / things to look for